Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Fine recording - too bad the planned (expanded) compact disc edition was never finished.

I was going to write the liner notes for that edition and did a fair amount of research for that about Joseph's early days (though sources there were sparse and at least one promising source, Hal Mckusick, died before I could talk to him at the length I thought I needed to). But then I had to stop because of problems on my home front, after which  problems developed between myself and Sunnenblick.

11 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Is it possibly that he was not very well known over here in Europe ? 
I only heard about his name once, that he was the first choice for playing with Bud at Birdland but after a few days was replaced by J.C. Moses. Since I never had heard Arnold´s drumming I cannot guess what was the reason. On the live albums there is no trace of Arnold, they are all with Moses.

Quite a bio (see wikipedia entry below).  No idea why he was recorded so little:

Horace Emmanuel Arnold, or Horacee Arnold (born September 25, 1937) is an American jazz drummer. He was born in Wayland, Kentucky.

Career[edit]

Arnold first began playing drums in 1957 in Los Angeles while he was in the United States Coast Guard. In 1959, he began performing as "Horacee" when he joined a big band led by David Baker; he also played with Roland Kirk and Charles Mingus that year. In 1960 he became the drummer in a trio with Cecil McBee and Kirk Lightsey.

In the 1960s, he worked in jazz with pianist and composer Hasaan Ibn Ali and Henry Grimes, and in 1964 with the Bud Powell Trio at Birdland). He worked in dance as part of the Alvin Ailey American Dance company on a tour of Asia. Later in the 1960s, he played with Hugh Masekela and Miriam Makeba; following this he studied composition under Heiner Stadler, Hy Gubenick, and classical guitar with Ralph Towner. In 1967 he founded his own ensemble, the Here and Now Company, with Sam Rivers, Karl Berger, Joe Farrell, and Robin Kenyatta.

In the 1970s, Arnold became one of the best-known jazz fusion drummers, playing with Return to Forever, Stan Getz, Archie Shepp, and Billy Harper in addition to releasing two of his own solo albums. Later in the 1970s he formed an ensemble called Colloquium III with Billy Hart and Freddie Waits. In the 1980s Arnold went on to teach at William Paterson College. He worked as a session musician, played with Kenny Burrell, and formed a trio with David Friedman and Anthony Cox.

Discography[edit]

• Tribe (Columbia, 1973)
  • Tales of the Exonerated Flea (Columbia, 1974)

With Billy Harper

With Roswell Rudd

26 minutes ago, felser said:

Discography[edit]

• Tribe (Columbia, 1973)
  • Tales of the Exonerated Flea (Columbia, 1974)

With Billy Harper

With Roswell Rudd

A few more quality albums featuring Arnold's drumming:

- Chick Corea - The Complete "Is" Sessions (Solid State/Blue Note)
- Gust William Tsilis - Pale Fire (Enja)
- Mickey Tucker Trio - Sweet Lotus Lips (Denon)

71ehFHEJD2L._UF894,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

I picked this up on a trip to New York last month, the day before seeing the great Louis Hayes, who is the drummer on most of the tracks. :)

11 hours ago, HutchFan said:

51PCLN10ZlL._SY600_.jpg

You're raising her right!  :D

Ha.  I've always told her who we're listening to and she has her favorites.  She started requesting Sonny Stitt and Joe Pass when she was 3.  It's a point of pride that she attended concerts by Lee Konitz, Wayne Shorter, Larry Willis, Jack DeJohnette and others while still in the womb.