• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now playing:

NC0xNDgzLmpwZWc.jpeg

Joey Calderazzo - To Know One (Blue Note, 1992)
with Dave Holland & Jack DeJohnette.  Jerry Bergonzi and Branford sit in on some of the tracks.

12 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

In jazz circles Max´s Quartet really DID make a big splash at my time. 
At least we, the modern-jazz oriented community, with fans born mostly in the 40´s and 50´s, and there were many many in the 70´s , well Max Roach was almost a God for us, and yes he WAS acknowledged as a bebop pioneer. All drummers, and all modern players of post bop, modal, avantgarde had that range of musical preferences from Bird to post Trane, post Ornette (with "holes" like most West Coast Jazz, Third Stream, Easy Listening Jazz), and I´ll never forget the exitement and enthuasm in town when it was announced that Roach will play. 

The day before, Art Farmer was booked and his drummer, a drum professor from the Graz-University of course idolized Max Roach. 
And during intermission before the second set started, Max Roach came in to listen and holding "court" and we hoped he might sit in with Art, but it´s sure, that for contractual reasons this was not possible.

But the next night, when Max Roach played his wonderful concert, Art was in the Audience and was announced and greeted by Max Roach.

See, for us, and we were a lot of guys, established musicians, budding musicians and most of all a big audience, this was a dream coming true. I mean, our musical tastes spread from the "Massey Hall Concert" to "Clifford Brown-Max Roach" to Miles, Rollins, Trane, Ornette and again electric Miles, so Max was "one of our fathers". During a time a bemoaned the death of Bird ... and Bud who had died only few years before, we all heard 3 out of 5 of the masters from "Massey": Diz, Mingus, Max....". 

And about the records. There were not as many as let´s say Mingus, but I could find "Speak Brother Speak" and "Clifford Brown-Max Roach on Basin Street". 
What I did not know then was that there was a special record shop in Viena that had all them Japan Imports, they had the Denon albums of Archie Shepp, of Max Roach and all, but terrible expensive for a teenager. 

But what I can say for sure: Almost every week there was a big US-Star of Jazz visiting our town and the houses (mostly Audimax of Universities) were PACKED with fans !!!!

That´s the surroundings I grew up.....

That's interesting, Gheorghe.  Thanks for sharing.  :tup 

It sounds like this might be another example of Europe being more supportive of jazz than the U.S.  I've heard & read about jazz musicians saying over and over again that their lives would be even more economically untenable without the opportunities that European festivals/touring/recording provides.  (Or is the right word "provided"?  No sure whether this continues to be the case in the present.)

Edited by HutchFan

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

That's interesting, Gheorghe.  Thanks for sharing.  :tup 

It sounds like this might be another example of Europe being more supportive of jazz than the U.S. 

Definitely.

Look at Max's 70s records. All of them made in Europe or Japan, some of them for smallish (or smaller) labels, some of them appear to be hit-and-run dates, like hey, they're in town, let's make a cash offer, see what we can get. Max would work like that, apparently, rather than doing a US deal where somebody else ended up owning everything in perpetuity.

Hell, one of the very best of the lot, Force , the first duet with Shepp, was made through a connection with the Italian Communist Party! Hardly a record company bigwig!

Perhaps one of the biggest obstacles to a formal collation of these records is ownership rights. Who owns them, really? And if anybody other than the Estate gives them up....OOPS! So at this point, who wants all that hassle?

Ny04MTI1LmpwZWc.jpeg

My impression is that while many American jazz musicians have gone to live in Europe, a significant percentage of them return to the USA at some point.

When the musicians travel to various countries they do well for a while. But the special appeal wears off after a while, especially in the country in which they are living. They become just local musicians.

Currently playing: 

th-1318405933.jpeg

On another board people were discussing Miles Davis “Agharta” so I played the first half of the Sony Blu-Spec CD2 version.

And then for some reason I saw the Grateful Dead “Wake of the Flood” cd on the shelf and put that one on, it’s been a long time. (The HDCD remastered version). I can still remember marveling at the original LP I bought when it came out–that was the thickest vinyl I’d ever purchased! This is one of my favorite Dead, and rock, albums.

Edited by jazzbo

9 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Love this one.

There's nothing else quite like it, is there?  It's almost miraculous.

The music has a Gil Evans-like grandeur, but it's much more jumpy and trippy -- almost like a fever-dream.

And the production is perfectly in tune with the music.  Hand in glove. 

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

David Murray once said that Summer in Europe pays for the rest of the year in America.

Yeah, I've heard exactly this sort of thing many times.

It makes me think of an analogy:  A prophet is not without honor, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.  -- Mark 6:4