• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

th-2471602183.jpeg

I have not seen many fotos of Hampton Hawes and it seems that his discography is not as rich as that of other contemporanous pianists like let´s say Tommy Flanagan, Kenny Drew or Sonny Clark, and became even less frequently recorded in the 60´s or 70´s. 
It seems that later he switched to electric piano, since the last evedences of him on live records were with Dexter and Gene Ammons at Montreux, where he plays Fender Rhodes piano. 

Seeing this cover photo I´m really astonished of his resemblance to the very very fine Israel born and Vienna based pianist Elias Meiri, who has impressed me here.

Just look here: 

Herunterladen (7).jpg

13 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Miles Davis “My Funny Valentine” Mobile Fidelity Lab SACD

To quote another Miles title: It’s about That time

One of the early records I had. I must admit at from the first moment I had heard it, it impressed me even more than the record of the 1st Quinted that I had. Though a record with the 50´s first quintet was my first record ever, this one really got me. The treatment of My Funny Valentine amazed me, and the faster version of "All Blues" fascinated me much more than the most famous slower first version. I think the twin album "Four and More" was not so much around than "My Funny Valentine". 

13 hours ago, HutchFan said:

NzAtOTM2MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Chick Corea & The Spanish Heart Band - Antidote (Concord, 2019)

Piano, Keyboards – Chick Corea
Flute, Sax – Jorge Pardo
Trumpet – Michael Rodriguez
Trombone – Steve Davis
Guitar – Niño Josele
Bass – Carlitos del Puerto
Drums – Marcus Gilmore
Percussion – Luisito Quintero
Vocals – Ruben Blades, Maria Bianca, Gayle Moran Corea

This must be very interesting ! I was there and already a big jazz fan, when the original "Spanish Heart" came out. I remember so many of now classic jazz rock (later called "fusion" ) albums that were brandnew and later became classics. "Headhunters", "Romantic Warrior", "My Spanish Heart", Stanley Clark´s "Modern Man" "Billy Cobham-George Duke", that was common ground then and the stuff you dealed with every day. 

In the more recent past, my wife discovered an album she thought I must like, and it was also a recent new edition of "RTF" but with Jean Luc Ponty added and I love it. 
I think, your new album of Spanish Heart could bring similar delight to me. Anyway it´s sometimes funny to hear original 70´s electric jazz NOW, since the then modern electric instruments look and sound so archaic. Like the Wah Wah Pedal Miles used, like the early synthies they had then, the old amps and stuff. 

A very interesting record. I listen very much to Woody Shaw since I saw him live on several occasions. 

From the releases that came out after his death, I like "Live in Bremen 1983" more than this one, maybe because I like the piano of Mulgrew Miller very much and above all the drummer Tony Reedus. 

The "Round Midnight" on Disc 2 is a bit too slow for my taste. From the Changes it seems to be the Davis-Changes, not the Monk changes. 
It´s paradox but the last track, recorded at an other venue but with Mulgrew Miller on piano, though it´s not well recorded and seems to be off mike, impressed me more than the whole album. This one sounds almost like a prayer, it must have been an encore, that´s how it sounded. It would be nice to hear the whole concert. 

Herunterladen (8).jpg

35 minutes ago, Quasimado said:

Nice band: The European tenor player (Povel) is news to me - anybody familiar with his work?https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61U%2BDJFEWRL._SL1000_.jpg

Povel is a really fine player. He has mostly appeared on recordings by other leaders, and partly buried in German big bands. But he had many nice features for instance in Peter Herbolzheimer's Rhythm Combination and Brass.

He has always been a good contributor to every recording I've heard him on.

I pulled a few Lambert, Hendricks & Ross and Annie Ross discs from the shelves as I had not heard them in a while.

First up this Columbia 2 cd set that reissues their three Columbia LPs. Disc 1. . . starts off so well with the Ike Isaacs Trio and Harry “Sweets” Edison.

“The Hottest New Group in Jazz”

Followed by
Another master vocalist

Joao Gilberto “Joao” Verve cd

“O Mito.” What can you say. . . silk and gentle breezes and nice orchestration by Clare Fischer. So soothing.

83064dff7dedee34d778ef7546d67e5343128fb7

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

This must be very interesting ! I was there and already a big jazz fan, when the original "Spanish Heart" came out. I remember so many of now classic jazz rock (later called "fusion" ) albums that were brandnew and later became classics. "Headhunters", "Romantic Warrior", "My Spanish Heart", Stanley Clark´s "Modern Man" "Billy Cobham-George Duke", that was common ground then and the stuff you dealed with every day. 

In the more recent past, my wife discovered an album she thought I must like, and it was also a recent new edition of "RTF" but with Jean Luc Ponty added and I love it. 
I think, your new album of Spanish Heart could bring similar delight to me. Anyway it´s sometimes funny to hear original 70´s electric jazz NOW, since the then modern electric instruments look and sound so archaic. Like the Wah Wah Pedal Miles used, like the early synthies they had then, the old amps and stuff. 

I've enjoyed it, Gheorghe.  However, this particular album is more Latin Jazz and flamenco-influenced jazz, rather than Return to Forever-like fusion.  Two of the key musicians in the band are Spaniards: (acoustic) guitarist Niño Josele and Jorge Pardo, who plays sax and flute (and was a member of Paco de Lucia's band for many years) -- so there's a definite "Iberian" vibe. :)