Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I think I have that early Art Blakey. Is it possible that there is a strange  version of "Tin Tin Deo" on it, with vocal and it sounds similar to the "Tin Tin Deo" we musicians play, but is more "traditional". 

The Ammons/Stitt combined with what I´d name an ultimate "dream band" (Cedar Walton, Sam Jones, Billy Higgins). I think they also recorded as an own unit and named themself "Magic Triangle" . Fantastic Rhythm section, I have the live sessions with Cliff Jordan, and I think "Eastern Rebellion" was the same, but with another Hornplayer. And they recorded on Jackie McLeans last studio album "Nature Boy", but with another bass player, I think Sam Jones had died....

That’s correct.  On the second 1948 session of James Moody and His Bop Men (which on subsequent re-issues is renamed as James Moody’s Modernists; not sure why), Chano Pozo sings Tin Tin Deo.

71j8nb5Cp8L._AC_SX296_SY426_FMwebp_QL65_

Man, I am so glad I snapped up 6 live Woody Shaw dates during the Qobuz sale.  I miss Larry Willis.  I saw him play 4 months before he died and encouraged him to return and play a solo gig.  He replied, 'We'll see what the future holds.'  What a marvelous pianist!  

Regarding the other sidemen, I hope Victor Lewis is on the mend.  I plan on finally seeing Steve Turre for the first time next month.  I've never seen Stafford James, who might be living in Europe now.

Discussion here about Gene Ammons has made me grab some cds from the shelves to listen to. This one has some great 78s from Mercury, Chess and Aristocrat. It always amazes me how these French cds from Chronogical Classics sound better and better as my system seasons and improves.

Gene Ammons “1949-1950” Chronogical Classics cd

b52272cd0b3d2706a9bb160f64d30837c3a723ca

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Two heroes of my youth (Stanley Clarke and Billy Cobham, and the last keyboardist of Miles. Must sound good. 

It's a fusion record from the 1990s, with Cobham in his more stolid mid tempo later style. The leads are guitarist Larry Carlton (perhaps too shreddingly fusion for my taste) and smooth jazz great Najee, who is really really good here in a less smooth context. Some jazz tunes on this too as well as fusion.