So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

2 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Yet another Monk on my playlist today:

Primary

I don't know the album, but I saw the film in Paris on its release in 1960. I recall that "Pannonica" was a haunting repeated theme.

6 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Primary

My original copy of the album had this attractive alternative cover:

thelonious-monk-brilliant-corners-london

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now:

71gHg1UxnfL._SX600_.jpg

CD compiles two Fantasy LPs: Stormy Monday and Sky Street

Earlier today:

LmpwZWc.jpeg

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

This must be very interesting. Seems to be a quite late recording of Albert Ayler. 

Yes.  Sadly, Ayler was found dead just a few months after these concerts at the Fondation Maeght.

From the Mosaic Select box... Curtis Amy & Paul Bryant - The Blues Message (Pacific Jazz). Nice blues here. Unusual in that it has a bassist with an organ player which honestly anchors these blues tunes a bit more. I love a nice walking bass line on a slow blues tune.

Primary

This would make an excellent Tone Poet LP.

5 hours ago, bresna said:

From the Mosaic Select box... Curtis Amy & Paul Bryant - The Blues Message (Pacific Jazz). Nice blues here. Unusual in that it has a bassist with an organ player which honestly anchors these blues tunes a bit more. I love a nice walking bass line on a slow blues tune.

Primary

This would make an excellent Tone Poet LP.

Yeah, Amy's work with Bryant is excellent, as is the rest of that Select.  I like the use of upright bass with organ as well, like Shirley Scott's Great Scott! (the Muse one with the great Buck Hill) or Ike Quebec's Heavy Soul.  Off of the top of my head, I think I've only seen upright bass with organ twice, though (Reginald Veal with Joey D and Larry Grenadier with John Medeski).

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

600x600bf-60.jpg

John Hicks was a fantastic pianist, and I think I knew best his playing with Pharoah Sanders, since that´s the most times I saw him live and heard him on record, before . There must have been also other occasions , I don´t remember. But then I saw him with that weak Mingus-Ghostband I have described earlier, he was on piano, but I ´m not sure if he actually had played with Mingus. 

He is was a phantastic pianist, and his long solos on that fast swing tune "Dr. Pit" composed by Pharoah are great. 

I have heard he had died quite early, that´s terrible, I don´t know why....

8 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

th-689807821.jpeg

Ron Carter was one of the first acoustic bassists I saw live (it must have been even before I saw Mingus !) and though Mingus was my favourite bassist, I really loved and love Ron´s powerful sound, and it was the times of VSOP, you know. 

5 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Primary

"If you could see me now" is a wonderful tune composed by Tadd Dameron. I have not played it for ages, you only find it always as the last bars of the tune are permanently used as the famous coda for Dizzy´s "Groovin High". 

Besides my favourite version with Sarah, I heard it played very well by Wynton Kelly with Wes, and Joanne Brackeen once played it to please a request. 

I can´t imagine how Oscar Peterson plays it....well once I heard him play an astonishing fine "When I fall in love" (maybe because it was a good copy of Art Tatum). Why did Oscar Peterson during all those years never use bros to play with him ?  

11 hours ago, optatio said:

Greene-3 (Copy).JPG

Greene-4 (Copy).jpg

The great Burton Greene. He has a very interesting background with roots from Eastern Europe, I even think I heard once that some were born in România. 
Yeah, I remember it must have been in the early 80´s when no one less than Austrian Freejazz Pioneer Fritz Novotny (Reform Art Unit) had him as a special guest in Vienna. I don´t remember which joint it was, but Fritz Novotny didn´t play the usual joints we others played (Jazzland, Jazz-Freddy, Jazz-Gitty, Opus One) , I think it was more museums or modern art places.
Burton Green was one of the greatest admires of Monk and could play Monkish like no one else. 

There was a special memory about that encounter: Novotny wanted Green to play one of Novotny´s compositions (the wonderful "Pannonian Flower") and when it was Burton Green´s turn to choose a tune, it was "Crepuscule with Nelly"......fantastic !