• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Yet another Monk on my playlist today:

Primary

This is quite a strange record. I got it as a birthday present from my wife since she saw that it doesn´t seem to be similar to what she saw from my Monk albums (BN, Prestige). I don´t know what it has to do with the film, the first CD is nice as ever played Monk repertory with Barney Wilen added to the usual Monk musicians. 
The strangest think is that idea to play "Light Blue" with an early attempt to play a "rock rhythm" which led me into some speculations.....Monk claimed that he hated rock, but maybe Rockers loved Monk. And maybe a fusion band around the time of my teens would have played it that way.

But it seems that Art Taylor had hard difficulties to play that beat. On Disc 2 there are endless and exhausting tries to get that beat straight, I mean the GREAT ART TAYLOR, but here he sounds like if you get a 13 old kid to try for the first time to play a rock beat on a set of drums.....

Very very strange the whole thing....

19 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

This is quite a strange record. I got it as a birthday present from my wife since she saw that it doesn´t seem to be similar to what she saw from my Monk albums (BN, Prestige). I don´t know what it has to do with the film, the first CD is nice as ever played Monk repertory with Barney Wilen added to the usual Monk musicians. 
The strangest think is that idea to play "Light Blue" with an early attempt to play a "rock rhythm" which led me into some speculations.....Monk claimed that he hated rock, but maybe Rockers loved Monk. And maybe a fusion band around the time of my teens would have played it that way.

But it seems that Art Taylor had hard difficulties to play that beat. On Disc 2 there are endless and exhausting tries to get that beat straight, I mean the GREAT ART TAYLOR, but here he sounds like if you get a 13 old kid to try for the first time to play a rock beat on a set of drums.....

Very very strange the whole thing....

Interesting view and comments as always, Gheorghe, many thanks!

Miles Davis “Big Fun” Columbia 2 LP set

87694d8ea47d2d736fb681af1c28c03ad63ef8c2

My phono playback is back in action. . . playing the original 2 LP copy I bought in '74. “Ife” followed by “Great Expectations.” This material was a real ear-opener to me at the time and was one of four or five Miles Davis releases that led me down the jazz rabbit hole I have been following ever since.

43 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Jimmy Knepper “Idol of the Flies” Bethlehem LP

Bill Evans as sideman. I usually listen to this on cd, but I’m spinning records today and wanted to hear it on LP.

Here’s the original cover, this is a 'seventies reissue LP.

6ec56ede9c5135528793a3b225555db7fa8681bb

👍 Just pulled it out to listen later. My LP has this darker cover.

Now:

Primary

A very powerful set, though I've always thought the piano (the instrument that is), is not up to snuff. Al Foster is outstanding. 

Edited by John Tapscott

19 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Hard to understand how this one could have sat in the vaults so long.

So true!  A bunch of his music got shelved, and so much of it was excellent

Even crazier is the fact that the same thing could be said of so many others too: Wayne, Hutch, Jackie Mac, Andrew Hill, and so on. 

I'm just glad that BN recorded so much -- much more than the market could bear -- and that it eventually saw the light day. 

Just now, BillF said:

I was there! 😆

Oh man!  Am I ever JEALOUS!!!  That's fantastic.  :tup