• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

disc 2

0886973012727_600.jpg

👍

1 hour ago, jazzcorner said:

Bebopper George Wallington not often seen here. This is an excellent LP presented by Leonard Feather

Mode Records Mod LP # 127 [Japan] - Leonard Feather presents BOP - Music Of The Day with George Wallington - rec. 1957

[IMG]

👍

Now playing:

41jLbEVhjRL._AC_.jpg

9 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

51tQOSAMBQL._UF600,600_QL80_.jpg

I've been really digging this album lately.  It's fun to hear Rich drive / flog the orchestra from the drum chair.

It truly is. I still maintain that people who haven't heard/didn't get to hear a real live REAL Big Band have no idea of how much physical impact the sheer sound of it would make. It could pin you on your ass and not let you back up.

This was one of the first 25-50 jazz records I bought...well not really bought, got it as an introductory offer from Record Club of America (the others were Transition, Time/Peace, The Best of Cream, Blind Faith, and maybe Burnt Weenie Sandwich?)

As such, and this is a very trivial concern, the logo on that reissue "pisses me off" That's an early PJ logo. The OG cover very much reflected the corporate transitions that were going on (and were not yet finished:

Ny00NzU1LmpwZWc.jpeg

"Pacific Jazz Series"!!!!

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

As such, and this is a very trivial concern, the logo on that reissue "pisses me off" That's an early PJ logo. The OG cover very much reflected the corporate transitions that were going on

That's interesting.  I have the CD release, and the cover has that Pacific Jazz logo in the upper-left corner.  So it's a bit of revisionist history on the part of Universal and/or producer Michael Cuscuna, eh?  ;) 

Liberty was in an acquisitive mood back then:  Blue Note and Solid State and Pacific Jazz.  I guess they were flush with cash.

NP:

ODAtMzM4NS5qcGVn.jpeg

Marlene VerPlanck Loves Johnny Mercer (Audiophile, 1978)

Edited by HutchFan

42 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

That's interesting.  I have the CD release, and the cover has that Pacific Jazz logo in the upper-left corner.  So it's a bit of revisionist history on the part of Universal and/or producer Michael Cuscuna, eh?  ;) 

Liberty was in an acquisitive mood back then:  Blue Note and Solid State and Pacific Jazz.  I guess they were flush with cash. 

And I think they were already on the way to the Transamerica/UA world. That was a bit of a fluid time for all the labels in that family - and the label's labels! 

I mean, was this one World Pacific Jazz or Pacific Jazz? And whatever happened to plain old World Pacific?

OC5qcGVn.jpeg

Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

2 hours ago, bresna said:

I always thought this might make a good Mosaic set but only if they could find the masters and especially if there is any unissued material on them.

They say in the liner notes that the discographically known unissued material was nowhere to be  found and is considered lost.

Edited by mikeweil