• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

One important thing about the McCoy Tyner Quartets: 

As on my question in the "Artists" Forum about a certain Joe Zawinul tune I once had asked you all about a certain McCoy Tyner tune I had heard McCoy play live when I saw him in spring 1980 (sextet with saxophone, a violin player etc.) and you led me to the tune "The Seeker" which is here on the tunes with Bobby Hutcherson. 

I love them all. Maybe I have some difficulties with the John Abercrombie thing, it´s not "earthy" enough for me and that "electric mandoline" sounds funny to me.

But the Freddie Hubbard stuff is wonderful, as is Bobby Hutcherson and wonderful Arthur Blythe. 

And with Al Foster on drums that´s always a guarantee for me that the music will be right.

Yes, that 1980 McCoy Tyner Sextet was a great one. The lineup I saw was slightly later I think but had Joe Ford, John Blake, John Lee and Wilby Fletcher. I think they did ‘The Seeker’ too and another one I remember was ‘Just Feelin’ ‘. Best performance I ever saw from McCoy and some of the greatest piano playing I saw, ever.

Wasn’t aware that Abercrombie was on ‘electric mandoline’, I’d always assumed it was just guitar. You are right though, that’s what the sleeve says.

Arthur Blythe sounding amazingly like Benny Carter on his ballad feature.

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Yes, that 1980 McCoy Tyner Sextet was a great one. The lineup I saw was slightly later I think but had Joe Ford, John Blake, John Lee and Wilby Fletcher. I think they did ‘The Seeker’ too and another one I remember was ‘Just Feelin’ ‘. Best performance I ever saw from McCoy and some of the greatest piano playing I saw, ever.

Wasn’t aware that Abercrombie was on ‘electric mandoline’, I’d always assumed it was just guitar. You are right though, that’s what the sleeve says.

Arthur Blythe sounding amazingly like Benny Carter on his ballad feature.

The group I saw was also John Blake, Joe Ford, on bass was Avery Sharp and on drums was Ronnie Burrage. 
Arthur Blythe on the ballad feature. I remember he has quite a lot of vibrato in it. Something I usually don´t hear from alto players. I must admit I´m not really familiar with Benny Carter. 

I also like very much the next Milestone-Studio album "Horizon" which has John Blake, Joe Ford and George Adams on it. And I think again the wonderful Al Foster. 

Now:

Ni00MjU5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Earlier:

OS05MDI3LmpwZWc.jpeg

22 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Carmen McRae "Bitter Sweet" Focus Records/Koch cd

One of Carmen's best imo. She even plays piano on one track, that's always a good thing.

I don't have Bittersweet.  Will have to keep an eye out for it.  :tup

@jazzbo, I agree with you that Carmen sounds great when she's playing piano.  I assume you've heard/got her album As Time Goes By: Carmen McRae Alone Live At The Dug.  Like the title says, it's just her playing the piano & singing.  It's tremendous -- right up there with her very best, imo.

NzctNTQ0NS5qcGVn.jpeg

26 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Now:

Ni00MjU5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Earlier:

OS05MDI3LmpwZWc.jpeg

I don't have Bittersweet.  Will have to keep an eye out for it.  :tup

@jazzbo, I agree with you that Carmen sounds great when she's playing piano.  I assume you've heard/got her album As Time Goes By: Carmen McRae Alone Live At The Dug.  Like the title says, it's just her playing the piano & singing.  It's tremendous -- right up there with her very best, imo.

NzctNTQ0NS5qcGVn.jpeg

I don't have that one. In part I'm holding off because I'm near the very end of her catalog and I hate to get there, so I ignore one for as long as I can and this is a plum to be ignored. And in reality I haven't found a copy at a price I want to shell out for yet.

Right now

Duke Ellington “1950” Chronogical Classics cd

03ee0f14fb2f2225010b62452047dd6d8591d3de

Mostly Mercer Records material with some Columbia Records at the end.

14 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I don't have that one. In part I'm holding off because I'm near the very end of her catalog and I hate to get there, so I ignore one for as long as I can and this is a plum to be ignored. And in reality I haven't found a copy at a price I want to shell out for yet.

Understood!  Always nice to have a gem to look forward to.  ;) 

2 hours ago, Dodo said:

19+Front.jpg

Probably some of the best Mal I've heard, drummer is on fire here

Yeah that’s a great one. That’s Dutch drummer Martin van Duynhoven on drums. Mal played with some excellent local music back then, not only on Holland but also in France and Germany. 

6 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Bobo Stenson Trio - Serenity 

By my estimation the most consistently fascinating of all ECM's piano trios.  Gearing up the release of a new recording tomorrow 

Yeah, Stenson is terrific, and that album is special, for sure.

I'd probably choose Richie Beirach's Elm as my favorite ECM piano trio -- but Serenity wouldn't be far behind.  

14 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Yeah, Stenson is terrific, and that album is special, for sure.

I'd probably choose Richie Beirach's Elm as my favorite ECM piano trio -- but Serenity wouldn't be far behind.  

Interesting, I haven't listened to 'Elm' in ages, will do so soon