• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

th-4064667729.jpeg

I like this much more than the many albums Lou made with Herman Foster or with organ. This is really a fine bop session, 

9 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

th-2067761342.jpeg

I remember I had bought this when I was in the States, and I had bought it before "Sidewinder" and like it much more than "Sidewinder". 

12 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

The first track on this album features some fabulous tenor playing by Bill Perkins. Also here is some very fine piano work from Frank Strazzeri.

81iNUkhUPJL._SY355_.jpg

I saw J.C. Heard with Dizzy Gillespie in 1983, it was a fantastic concert, one of the best Diz I ever heard. They played a fantastic version of "Manteca" and "Round Midnight".....

23 hours ago, Pim said:

Yeah that’s a great one. That’s Dutch drummer Martin van Duynhoven on drums. Mal played with some excellent local music back then, not only on Holland but also in France and Germany. 

Thought I recognized the drummer's name – he's on some fantastic records with Theo Loevendie. Any recommendations for other Mal recordings with European musicians? Off the top of my head, I recall some of his 70s quintet records having some great European players on them (Moods, Hard Talk, etc.) and I'm certainly interested in hearing more from that period, especially sessions that are on the more obscure side like Number Nineteen seems to be.

20 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Earlier:

OC02NDM2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Now:

MC0yNTg4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Harry Miller's leader stuff is SO good in my opinion, really underappreciated I feel, that's a fantastic record with some of the best UK players of the era, hard to ever go wrong with Mike Osborne!

10 minutes ago, Dodo said:

Harry Miller's leader stuff is SO good in my opinion, really underappreciated I feel, that's a fantastic record with some of the best UK players of the era, hard to ever go wrong with Mike Osborne!

Totally agree.  I like how the music flows and flows -- and then modulates into terrific, polyphonic climaxes. ... Keith Tippett's piano is also outstanding. 

Wynton Marsalis Septet “Blue Interlude” Columbia cd.

I like this band. Hard to believe it has been more than 30 years when this first came out.

2cedd86722c7783124e3b1987d67cbff40fecdb2

Wynton Marsalis – trumpet; piano and spoken word
Reginald Veal – bass
Herlin Riley – drums
Marcus Roberts – piano
Wessel Anderson – alto saxophone
Todd Williams – tenor saxophone, soprano saxophone, clarinet
Wycliffe Gordon – trombone