So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

Chuck Wayne - Morning Mist (2003, CD) | Discogs

On 3/17/2023 at 8:33 AM, jazzcorner said:

AM-PM AM-16  - The Los Angeles Jazz Workshop "Shopwork Shuffle" - rec. 1986 - Engineer: Jim Linahon

45349008ek.jpg

I have different CD of this band titled, Medium Basie Swing.  It's a good band with absolutely wonderful arrangements.  'Mickey's Nightmare' is a play on the Mickey Mouse Club theme done in a minor key that's so good, it'll make you giggle.

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/18/2022 at 1:40 PM, Rabshakeh said:

Elton Dean's Ninesense – Happy Daze (Ogun, 1977)

R-469048-1626469368-2738.jpg

Returning to this record after a long absence. 

It's amazing how many good records Ogun put out.

Bought this last year on the recommendation of mjazzg , finally got around to listening to it now, and it's fantastic!

20 hours ago, scooter_phx said:

I have different CD of this band titled, Medium Basie Swing.  It's a good band with absolutely wonderful arrangements.  'Mickey's Nightmare' is a play on the Mickey Mouse Club theme done in a minor key that's so good, it'll make you giggle.

Ah yes, here are my Items:

Lindberg, Jeff    The Jazz Members Bigband "Diggin`in"  1993   Sea Breeze (CD)
Lindberg, Jeff    Mayday - Jazz Members Bigband    1984    Sea Breeze
Lindberg, Jeff    Jazz Members Bigband live at FitzGeralds    1985    Sea Breeze

Edited by jazzcorner

22 hours ago, Pim said:

Well with all European groups he recorded: Mal Waldron Trio (1966) Ursula (1969) Blood and Guts (1970) A Little Bit of Miles (1972). Of these Blood and Guts is the most essential. Thats such a great one.

There are also a lot of albums with great European players on them. The ones I'd reccomend best are:

Free at Last, 1969, with Isla Eckinger from Switzerland.

The Call, 1971 with Eberhard Weber from Germany

Black Glory, 1971 with Pierre Favre from France

Hard Talk, 1974 with Manfred Schoof from Germany and again Isla Eckinger

One Upmanship, 1977 with again Schoof

No More Tears for Lady Day, 1988 with Paolo Carduso who is Brazilian born but lived in Germany

From Dark into Light, 1994 with the excellent tenor saxophonist Nicolas Simion from Romania

Misterioso from 1998 with again Nicolas Simion

One More Time from 2002 with Jean Francois Jenny Clarke from France

You might like to check out my blog on Mal Waldron: https://snake-out.blogspot.com/2020/12/all-reviews-in-chronological-order.html

Thanks for these! Gonna track down all of these that I haven't heard yet, Blood and Guts looks amazing, I think Mal's live recordings tend to be my favorites from him, so I'm definitely excited to hear this one. Your blog looks like a great resource as well, definitely will mine some recommendations from there; just downloaded that Middelheim Jazz Festival bootleg you have in the five-star tag, looks tremendous. Also, I was glad to see you had the 1981 Dreher, Paris Steve Lacy duo compilation listed in your favorites, that's some of the very best music ever recorded IMO.

23 hours ago, Pim said:

There are also a lot of albums with great European players on them. The ones I'd reccomend best are:

Black Glory, 1971 with Pierre Favre from France

One More Time from 2002 with Jean Francois Jenny Clarke from France

Favre is Swiss. 

It's (great) Jean-Jacques Avenel on "One More Time", not Jenny-Clark. 

2 hours ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Passing Ships - Wikipedia

Such a great record.

2 hours ago, Dodo said:

Thanks for these! Gonna track down all of these that I haven't heard yet, Blood and Guts looks amazing, I think Mal's live recordings tend to be my favorites from him, so I'm definitely excited to hear this one. Your blog looks like a great resource as well, definitely will mine some recommendations from there; just downloaded that Middelheim Jazz Festival bootleg you have in the five-star tag, looks tremendous. Also, I was glad to see you had the 1981 Dreher, Paris Steve Lacy duo compilation listed in your favorites, that's some of the very best music ever recorded IMO.

Hope it could be of help on your Waldron quest! I am pretty sure you are going to enjoy that Blood and Guts recording. It has the same energy as Number Nineteen.

Turk Murphy's Jazz Band – Turk Murphy's San Francisco Jazz Vol. 1R-3473674-1561300124-4576.jpg.ac80cd2838590a72a62c6f113baefe1e.jpg

Dipping my toe into various forms of classic jazz revival at the moment. More for self-education than anything.

I find Turk Murphy quite difficult to handle, in contrast to Eddie Condon or the New Orleans old timers.

This stuff seems quite slick, hermetically sealed and tonally unlike the Hot 5s/7s or the Bix gang (who I assume they're emulating).

Maybe its more influence from Jellyroll or just an excess in proficiency. Perhaps others have more insight.

Edited by Rabshakeh