Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, bresna said:

Just finished - Barney Wilen - French Ballads (IDA/Elemental Music).

Primary

Now playing: Barney Wilen - Talisman (IDA).

Primary

Some great legs here !

I have not heard much Barney Wilen besides the stuff in the fifties and sixties, when he was something like a boy wonder, playing with the greatests of the greats like Miles, Bud, Blakey, Monk. He could hold his own being around with such fast company, just fantastic.  It seems that I had lost the traces after that. I have heard that he had a lot of personal problems later. 

8 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

image.jpeg.be8db219ab852880df05674e88d200a0.jpeg

This was cult in my early teens. Though it came out maybe in 1969 just before Bitches Brew, many of all those crounds who were crazy about the Miles of the 70´s had that LP or asked who has it. And not knowing what the title means and what language it is, most kids pronounced the album name in a dumb phonetic way. Too sad this is the only studio document of the "lost quintet" (when Herbie and Ron were replaced by Chick and Dave Holland). 

81iR3bzEFWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Wanted to listen to some Benny Golson and went for this one on Spotify. There is actually not that much Golson here, but a lot of Freddie Hubbard and Woody Shaw. One of them is extremely annoying going into weeee high register every three seconds. Guess who?

Great drumming by Ben Riley.  

1 hour ago, Д.Д. said:

81iR3bzEFWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Wanted to listen to some Benny Golson and went for this one on Spotify. There is actually not that much Golson here, but a lot of Freddie Hubbard and Woody Shaw. One of them is extremely annoying going into weeee high register every three seconds. Guess who?

Great drumming by Ben Riley.  

Benny Golson played quite often at Jazzland. And I heard him somewhere with Curtis Fuller and a stellar rhythm section. 

My opinion is, he greatest achievments are his compositions, he is one of the great composers of jazz history, but I consider his role as a soloist not as big as his role as a composer. If I listen to his style, there is some of the sound influenced by Don Byas, but somehow I heard solos with a bit of lack of orientation. He also got a bit of Archie Shepp´s sound into his playing. I think I´m not the only one who likes his compositions better than his actual playing. 

And he kinda hosted his concerts like announcinc Curtis Fuller this way "look at my saxophone, it has so many keys, and look at his trombone and it has no keys on it...."   uhm....

But after Art Farmer´s death he was very often seen at Jazzland. 

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Benny Golson played quite often at Jazzland. And I heard him somewhere with Curtis Fuller and a stellar rhythm section. 

My opinion is, he greatest achievments are his compositions, he is one of the great composers of jazz history, but I consider his role as a soloist not as big as his role as a composer. If I listen to his style, there is some of the sound influenced by Don Byas, but somehow I heard solos with a bit of lack of orientation. He also got a bit of Archie Shepp´s sound into his playing. I think I´m not the only one who likes his compositions better than his actual playing. 

And he kinda hosted his concerts like announcinc Curtis Fuller this way "look at my saxophone, it has so many keys, and look at his trombone and it has no keys on it...."   uhm....

But after Art Farmer´s death he was very often seen at Jazzland. 

Solos and compositions  -- both great but different;  Also, solo work early on and later differ from each other.