Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I caught the band between the 2 sessions at the Plugged Nickel in the Fall of '68. The rhythm section was Corea, Holland & Williams and Chick looked scared all night.

I was there too. Did an interview with Chick for Down Beat. He seemed to have calmed down by that time. He tried to come on to my wife; told her she was an "old soul." Clearly it was a line that had worked for him before, but she was just amused. 

10 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I caught the band between the 2 sessions at the Plugged Nickel in the Fall of '68. The rhythm section was Corea, Holland & Williams and Chick looked scared all night.

Fine memory. I also loved "Filles de Kilimanjaro" which was like a "treasure" among us youngsters in the early 70´s . 
I would have been too young to see the band with Dave Holland and Chick Corea, the first band I saw was with Dave Liebman, Mtume, Al Foster etc. 

But I saw the DVD from the "Bootleg Series" "Lost Quintet" and maybe Chick was scared, as well as Dave Holland. They don´t look relaxed at all on that video. First I thought they intended to "out-Miles" Miles Davis in context with stage behaviour with them angry looks, not even noddin´to the audience when their names was announced. But the music was great. 
I saw Chick Corea only once , when he sat in with Miles on a tune at some festival gig in the 80s. I think the tune was "Speak!". 

9 hours ago, HutchFan said:

NC01Mzk0LmpwZWc.jpeg

OJC

Wonderful thing. Miles with Monk. And listen how great they sound on "Bemsha Swing", Miles plays that Monk tune with very much love and understanding of Monk´s style. Much more than let´s say "Well You Needn´t" on another record, where he plays the wrong bridge. 
But it is strange that the version of "Round Midnight" (again with other chords than Monk´s original chords) is played with the "first quintet" . This would have fitted more in the 4 Prestige records of the first quintet (Workin, Relaxin, Cookin, Steamin ). 
Two weeks ago we played a gig with a name alto saxophonist and when we made the set list and I asked "Round Midnite?" he said, okay, but only if you play the original Monk changes, I don´t want to hear the Miles Changes on it. Easy for me since I never did else but playing the original Monk changes on that tune....

16 hours ago, Stompin at the Savoy said:

I don´t remember if I ever saw that album with that title. 

The title "Odjenar" I think was on the Prestige album "Lee Konitz-Miles Davis", a very very strange album which sounds quite experimental , more like chamber music I think....  
I remember my wife had bought it for me, since she saw the names of the musicians and that I might not have it in that combination. 

But the Title Conception as I remember was on the Prestige Album "Dig", that extended session with Jackie McLean and Sonny Rollins .... it is Miles´  version of that tune, not the original AABA form with 12 bars in the A sections and 8 bars in the bridge and in Db. Miles does the A section, but in C, and it has a unusual form with a pedal point section in it. 
I usually play the regular AABA form of the tune in Db but out of curiosity once tried the Miles version and ok, you have to take care to keep the unsymmetrical form, but you get it.....

Some strange things here. The title "Dig" actually was composed by Jackie Mc Lean (on the chords of Georgia Brown), and I like most the title "Out of Blue" (based on "Get Happy"), very nice to play....

The title "Odjenar" I think was on the Prestige album "Lee Konitz-Miles Davis", a very very strange album which sounds quite experimental , more like chamber music I think....  
I remember my wife had bought it for me, since she saw the names of the musicians and that I might not have it in that combination. 

But the Title Conception as I remember was on the Prestige Album "Dig", that extended session with Jackie McLean and Sonny Rollins .... it is Miles´  version of that tune, not the original AABA form with 12 bars in the A sections and 8 bars in the bridge and in Db. Miles does the A section, but in C, and it has a unusual form with a pedal point section in it. 
I usually play the regular AABA form of the tune in Db but out of curiosity once tried the Miles version and ok, you have to take care to keep the unsymmetrical form, but you get it.....

Some strange things here. The title "Dig" actually was composed by Jackie Mc Lean (on the chords of Georgia Brown), and I like most the title "Out of Blue" (based on "Get Happy"), very nice to play....