• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

“Classic Jazz At The Philharmonic Jam Sessions 1950-1957” Mosaic Records disc X

aa1d35b3c7d16239bcdcbcb485d88e0ae3226c39

Saved this one til now . . didn’t want to get to the end of this excellent set. . . but finally I have to hear it, before I start back on this set again

Bob Scobey's Frisco Jazz Band With Clancy Hayes – Swingin' On The Golden Gate (RCA, 1957)

R-5308962-1582993140-9123.jpg.e0fbc0c9f167c4cb48e0313119d36d2a.jpg

Still continuing a recent push to learn a little bit about revivalist traditional jazz. Still finding that for every record that I really enjoy there are two records that make me re-evaluate my life choices. Still, these Bob Wilbur records aren't going to listen to themselves.

11 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Still continuing a recent push to learn a little bit about revivalist traditional jazz. 

Edit: I should add that it is really hard to find out about this music. There's no recommended lists out there on the internet, and noone is on Instagram posting LP covers for clout. To the extent that it does exist in jazz histories, it seems to be as a brief reference as an historical antagonist to bebop. You'd never know that for decades it was so popular. Possibly that reflects the fact that 90% of the genre is arid revivalism that no sensible human would want to know about, but still.

Edited by Rabshakeh

I've also been listening to quite a bit of revival music in recent months... Record store owners tend to be amazed to sell any of this music... I started mostly with music involving "old" musicians from New Orleans, like Chris Albertson's Living Legends series for Riverside, some related stuff like Emile Barnes on American Music... I was also curious about Joe Mares Southland label and got some of that stuff...  more recently, I have mostly been buying stuff with Art Hodes or Don Ewell on them (the latter a revivalist, I guess)... Another really revivalist record I've been playing a lot is one by Doc Evans on Audiophile with Omer Simeon on clarinet... and the Mart Grosz Riverside album with Frank Chace... I've mostly stayed clear of the various European scenes yet (Dutch I could buy by the dozen)... Also haven't really gotten into the Bay area revival even though I did play a few things (like Trouble in Mind by Barbara Dane which is great)

I did read up a bit about that weird American scene of College Dixieland bands that brought us people like Steve Swallow or Roswell Rudd... what drove teenagers in the 1950s to this old music? Somewhere I read an interview with clarinetist Stan Rubin, one of the stars of that scene, who more or less admitted that he was a fan of Artie Shaw (like you would expect) until he arrived in Princeton and realized he could make loads of money playing dixieland... regarding resources, indeed the usual channels can be dry but there are some great webpages like this one or that one

My0xOTg4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Lee Collins - A Night at the Victory CLub

one thing that's interesting about this 1951 live album is that it has a revivalist band (with Don Ewell, a tp/cl/tb frontline) on one side, and on the other a "club date"  with a tp/ts frontline that's probably closer to the reality of what Collins would have played live...