So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Okay, time to move onto something I really want to hear through the new DAC:

Miles Davis “Bitches Brew” Sony Quad/Stereo SACD. Disc 2

This is the original mix. I still just seem to gravitate to the original mix, even though I like the remix.

129e9187a4dc167f21ad9744e1fcc3757458877f

Now disc 2

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, jlhoots said:

Looks very interesting. I can only find the CD though his YES label. $25 + tax & shipping. Trying to decide.

You can taste test on Bandcamp, if that swings it.

I quite enjoyed it. I love the source material and have for years. I thought the more piano, the stronger it is. Some of Moran's performances are really special. The sections with a larger band are a mix. Some parts are very strong and lusty, others feel a little more academic.

7 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

You can taste test on Bandcamp, if that swings it.

I quite enjoyed it. I love the source material and have for years. I thought the more piano, the stronger it is. Some of Moran's performances are really special. The sections with a larger band are a mix. Some parts are very strong and lusty, others feel a little more academic.

Thanks!!

Came in the mail yesterday from discogs.

Man a previous owner really wanted you to know HE owned this one. He wrote his name in sharpie on the booklet cover, the disc itself and even on the unprinted flip side of the tray insert. Never saw that much identification before.

This is a very nice Kenny Burrell album. To my ears Kenny is wonderfully consistent. So many nice albums, some incredibly great ones.

Kenny Burrell “Round Midnight” Fantasy/OJC cd

Edited by jazzbo

9 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Two great sources for somewhat revivalist jazz that's terrific are foreign -- the Australian stuff that originated in the 1940s  by the late Dave Dallwitz, the Bell Brothers (Roger and Grahame) Ade Monsborough  et al.  and the more recent French stuff from Jean Pierre Morel and his Le Petit Jazz Band and its orchestral offshoot. Different as they are, these guys get it right -- nothing is within quotation marks. Dallwitz in particular is a composer in the Morton class. Morel's stuff is or used to be available via the Stomp Off label. As Terry Martin (himself an Australian who grew up around Dallwitz in Adelaide) shrewdly pointed out in the Oxford Companion to Jazz, one key reason thus stuff works so well is what might be called the "so near, so far" principle, in terms of time and geography. Distance in those realms tends to preclude futile Turk Murphy attempts at outright emulation and leaves room for fruitful personal engagement of sensibilities. One Dallwitz album to go for first is his masterpiece, the "Ern Malley Suite."  "Gold Rush Days" and "Gulgong Shuffle" are also choice.  "Ern Malley Suite" seems to be on You Tube. Maybe more Dallwitz too. He also was a gifted painter.

A nice Dallwitz piece is "Clarinet Sugar." You can find it on You Tube. Also go to You Tube for "Billabong Bob Barnard" another Dallwitz gem.

8 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

I said "somewhat." Morel's orchestra actually plays the compositions and arrangements of U.S. writers of the '20s. The results sound great and fresh, not revivalist in the restrictive/constricting 

Seems like a positive. From the limited stuff I have explored, I have enjoyed the Yerba Buenas the least.

Very interested in hearing more about the French and Australian scenes, then and now.

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

A nice Dallwitz piece is "Clarinet Sugar." You can find it on You Tube. Also go to You Tube for "Billabong Bob Barnard" another Dallwitz gem.

For some galvanic early Morel got to You Tube for "Everybody Stomp Morel" and "Charquet & Co Jungle Jamboree" (an entire album). For Morel's orchestra go to on You Tube "Les Rois du Foxtrot - 2010 Whitley Bay International Jazz Festival." On CD I'd recommend "TNT: a Tribute to Elmer Schoebel but all their albums are very good.

7 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

For some galvanic early Morel got to You Tube for "Everybody Stomp Morel" and "Charquet & Co Jungle Jamboree" (an entire album). For Morel's orchestra go to on You Tube "Les Rois du Foxtrot - 2010 Whitley Bay International Jazz Festival." On CD I'd recommend "TNT: a Tribute to Elmer Schoebel but all their albums are very good.

Thanks!