So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

On 3/24/2023 at 7:43 AM, Niko said:

I've also been listening to quite a bit of revival music in recent months... Record store owners tend to be amazed to sell any of this music... I started mostly with music involving "old" musicians from New Orleans, like Chris Albertson's Living Legends series for Riverside, some related stuff like Emile Barnes on American Music... I was also curious about Joe Mares Southland label and got some of that stuff...  more recently, I have mostly been buying stuff with Art Hodes or Don Ewell on them (the latter a revivalist, I guess)... Another really revivalist record I've been playing a lot is one by Doc Evans on Audiophile with Omer Simeon on clarinet... and the Mart Grosz Riverside album with Frank Chace... I've mostly stayed clear of the various European scenes yet (Dutch I could buy by the dozen)... Also haven't really gotten into the Bay area revival even though I did play a few things (like Trouble in Mind by Barbara Dane which is great)

I did read up a bit about that weird American scene of College Dixieland bands that brought us people like Steve Swallow or Roswell Rudd... what drove teenagers in the 1950s to this old music? Somewhere I read an interview with clarinetist Stan Rubin, one of the stars of that scene, who more or less admitted that he was a fan of Artie Shaw (like you would expect) until he arrived in Princeton and realized he could make loads of money playing dixieland... regarding resources, indeed the usual channels can be dry but there are some great webpages like this one or that one

The best beginner's guide I have so far located has been this one:

https://syncopatedtimes.com/texas-shout-8-guide-to-classic-dixieland/

From the 1990s and from a bandleader who is obviously quite embedded in and committed to the San Francisco revivalist circuit.

Not much there that a dedicated searcher would not know, but I have not found anything that goes into more depth than this out there. A complete contrast to 'spiritual jazz' or Blue Note or whatever, where there are thousands of lists and dedicated blogs.

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two albums from the Dutch avant-jazz scene in the 1970s:

LTMxMTMuanBlZw.jpeg

Willem Breuker Kollektief - Live in Berlin (BVHaast/FMP, 1981)
recorded in 1975

and

MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Instant Composers Pool Tentet – Tetterettet (ICP, 1977)

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Dick Hyman and Roger Kellaway - Live at Michael's Pub

R-13223718-1550255517-6667.jpg.87beb17124f0ccd29fc9f5435a3e7d45.jpg

This one is great. Thanks to @HutchFanwho I think recommended it. Such an exciting and fresh sound.

I wasn't me, Rab.  I'm not familiar with that record.  But I'm happy that you're enjoying it, regardless. ;) 

Edited by HutchFan

20 hours ago, BillF said:

PRLP-7094-1-1000x1000.jpg

I have not listened to the 4 classic "First Quintet" sessions for decades, but "Steamin´" was my very first Jazz LP in the early 70´s. Cookin´, Relaxin, and Workin where not easy to be found then. The "Steamin" I think was a Bellaphon reissue with another cover. 

On 3/25/2023 at 1:50 PM, BillF said:

charlie-parker-charlie-parker-verve-mast

those funny Verve covers. I think I saw this one with that yellow fish on it, but don´t know which of the 8 LP-Volumes it is. 
I got to listen to Bird with Strings for the intro of "April in Paris". Not that I like strings, but I need a good intro for "April in Paris" since it will be on a concert set list next thursday and I got to get some idea for good chords for a piano intro.