Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Pim said:

No I haven’t I was sincerely curious what you didn’t like as our tastes match pretty good mostly. When someone makes a statement like that I am curious why it’s not good. Iyer is the only name I know.

It is meant to be a modern take on ghazals, with Iyer's playing behind.

To tell the truth, it reminded me most of the soundtrack to Gladiator, sad and new aged, but more studious, and I found Iyer's playing didn't add much. I have enjoyed Iyer a lot in the past but I am increasingly finding his work hard to really enjoy.

I'd be willing to be talked around, though.

Edited by Rabshakeh

7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Arooj Aftab, Vijay Iyer, Shahzad Ismaily – Love In Exile

R-26528237-1680349889-2469.jpg.6252cabe8530ab446c7ef8a3c2d9db02.jpg

First listen to this, and my last.

Yep, same response from me. Dull and sounded very contrived. Her previous album 'Vulture Prince' I found quite captivating in stark contrast.

I find myself increasingly not enjoying Iyer's releases. It all started with the sextet on ECM which everyone else loved. Previously I'd been very taken by most all of his releases and saw a barnstorming trio gig at the Vortex about the time of 'Break Stuff', an album I really rated 

One bright spot was the recent TUM collaboration with Wadada Leo Smith

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

It is meant to be a modern take on ghazals, with Iyer's playing behind.

To tell the truth, it reminded me most of the soundtrack to Gladiator, sad and new aged, but more studious, and I found Iyer's playing didn't add much. I have enjoyed Iyer a lot in the past but I am increasingly finding his work hard to really enjoy.

I'd be willing to be talked around, though.

Mmmm ok. It’s not on Spotify is it? Otherwise I could have given it a digital spin.

edit: I now see it is. I’ll add it to my playlist 

Edited by Pim

3 minutes ago, Pim said:

Mmmm ok. It’s not on Spotify is it? Otherwise I could have given it a digital spin.

edit: I now see it is. I’ll add it to my playlist 

Don't bother 😄 

Onto this now

Primary

Edited by mjazzg

4 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Jumpin' With Al Casey (Definitive Black and Blue)image.jpeg.f466c751b192ef9adf0550a0099dade3.jpeg

👍 - as LP on my shelf!

Casey-1-1_stitch (Copy).jpg

Saw him Nov. 8, 1997 in Göttingen with the Harlem Blues & Jazz Band

Line-up: Fred Smith (tp), Bobby Pring (tb), David 'Bubba' Brooks (ts), Al Casey (g), Ed Swanston (p), Paul Brown (b), Johnny Blowers (dr, ld)

Edited by optatio

39 minutes ago, optatio said:

👍 - as LP on my shelf!

Casey-1-1_stitch (Copy).jpg

Saw him Nov. 8, 1997 in Göttingen with the Harlem Blues & Jazz Band

Line-up: Fred Smith (tp), Bobby Pring (tb), David 'Bubba' Brooks (ts), Al Casey (g), Ed Swanston (p), Paul Brown (b), Johnny Blowers (dr, ld)

Wow, that sounds fabulous!

10 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

42356820zp.jpg

42356822px.jpg

This was the Band Joachim Ernst Behrend described in his "Jazz Book" from the early 70´s, about Mingus´ comeback at Berlin. 

Before I read the book around the mid 70´s I had heard a lot of Mingus with Dolphy or earlier with Jackie McLean and others and had heard the two LPs for the French "America" Label from 1970. I must say the latter recordings disappointed me a bit since there since it sounded like routine, with very very little energy from Mingus and Richmond. 

The biggest surprise was Bobby Jones, who has a very emotional side in his playing. 

I was not so much impressed by the trumpet player. 

So, this band, good as it was, left a bit of a bittersweet impression for me. I missed a lot of stuff that I had loved so much when I first heard Mingus on record. 

16 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

th-2462439489.jpeg

Lou Levy was a great pianist !!

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

This was the Band Joachim Ernst Behrend described in his "Jazz Book" from the early 70´s, about Mingus´ comeback at Berlin. 

Before I read the book around the mid 70´s I had heard a lot of Mingus with Dolphy or earlier with Jackie McLean and others and had heard the two LPs for the French "America" Label from 1970. I must say the latter recordings disappointed me a bit since there since it sounded like routine, with very very little energy from Mingus and Richmond. 

The biggest surprise was Bobby Jones, who has a very emotional side in his playing. 

I was not so much impressed by the trumpet player. 

So, this band, good as it was, left a bit of a bittersweet impression for me. I missed a lot of stuff that I had loved so much when I first heard Mingus on record. 

Thanks for your detailed 'critic'.

Have to admit that I never was an enthousiastic follower of his music. But interested enough to buy this Lp set

45123014ke.jpg

45123016eq.jpg

A real good one I like very much is this one:

43872350jx.jpg

and finally should be mentioned also these here in my stock:

- "Town Hall Concert" rec.  1962 United Artists15024

- "Money Jungle" rec. 1962  Liberty LBJ 60055 (Japan)

Edited by jazzcorner
label correction

1 hour ago, jazzcorner said:

Thanks for your detailed 'critic'.

Have to admit that I never was an enthousiastic follower of his music. But interested enough to buy this Lp set

45123014ke.jpg

45123016eq.jpg

A real good one I like very much is this one:

43872350jx.jpg

and finally should be mentioned also these here in my stock:

- "Town Hall Concert" rec.  1962 United Artists15024

- "Money Jungle" rec. 1962  Liberty LBJ 60055 (Japan)

So anyway you have some nice recordings from the fities until the mid seventies. That´s sure enough for someone who is not a Mingus enthusiastic.

Mingus, I think, was not " everybody´s darling" even in jazz circles. 

In my case it was a bit unorthodox: Mingus was esential for all that I  began to love in jazz, he was in any case the second record I had (my first was Miles´ "Steaming" and soon I had more Mingus records than Miles records. I was just mesmerized by what I heard. He was my guide to several styles. Via Jakie Byard and some Ellington tunes I learned about the pre bop styles, via Dolphy I got curious to hear how Bird maybe had sounded and how Ornette Coleman and his followers might sound....., He was for me "in the middle of it". 

27 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

So anyway you have some nice recordings from the fities until the mid seventies. That´s sure enough for someone who is not a Mingus enthusiastic.

Mingus, I think, was not " everybody´s darling" even in jazz circles. 

In my case it was a bit unorthodox: Mingus was esential for all that I  began to love in jazz, he was in any case the second record I had (my first was Miles´ "Steaming" and soon I had more Mingus records than Miles records. I was just mesmerized by what I heard. He was my guide to several styles. Via Jakie Byard and some Ellington tunes I learned about the pre bop styles, via Dolphy I got curious to hear how Bird maybe had sounded and how Ornette Coleman and his followers might sound....., He was for me "in the middle of it". 

Have just been rewatching this with its fine Mingus (especially Shafi Hadi) soundtrack:

30800732108.jpg

11 minutes ago, BillF said:

Have just been rewatching this with its fine Mingus (especially Shafi Hadi) soundtrack:

30800732108.jpg

A quick question, is the soundtrack available as a standalone recording?

2 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Answer to my own question,appears to have been a bootleg release a couple of years ago

Edited by mjazzg

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Answer to my own question,appears to have been a bootleg release a couple of years ago

I wouldn't know about that, but this 1958 film perfectly complements the earlier chapters of the Rollins biography where race, and to a lesser extent, music are concerned.