Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

051501.jpg

NRG 1 is the first album in a new series from London based drummer/producer, Chiminyo, in which he and members of his musical community exchange (strictly improvised) NRG with audiences and capture the spontaneous beauty to be shared with the world.

NRG 1 features an all-star line-up (band members of Jorja Smith, Nubyan Twist, Gary Bartz, Nightmares on Wax, Yussef Kamaal) and you can really feel the vibrant NRG of the capital pulsating throughout. Tunes like β€˜Raze’ and β€˜Purple/Green’ and their whirling, high octane, jungle/brokenbeat aesthetic are balanced beautifully by tunes like the smooth, sexy, R&B anthem β€˜SLK’ and the downtempo, ambient, latin-house β€˜EleguÑ’, a Yoruba prayer, led by trumpet player Yelfris ValdΓ©s, cleansing the room and bringing positive vibes to the band and the audience.

Martial Solal

Β If you have a taste for Solal,Β check outΒ this recording, "Contrastes," Β on Storyville of the concert he gave upon winning the 1999 Danish Jazzpar Prize. It includes five pieces he wrote for his trio (Mads Vinding and Daniel Humair) plus the Danish Radio Jazz Orchestra and three performances by the trio alone. Solal's writing for the ensemble is a detailed extension of his virtuosic piano playing, beautifully performed by the DRJO. Also this may be the best recording of an ensemble of this size I've everΒ heard.Β 

image.png.2eea07e4a3db76861e2b21ac62736596.png

15 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Stan Getz β€œSerenity” Emarcy cd

Β 

0469e7f4c779736c1da341fa19c3741fb56e7a16

Β 

This live show would be a good destination for a time machine.

Β 

From what period is this ? I think I remember I saw Stan Getz in a quartet with Lou Levy on piano.Β 

Β 

9 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

th-1466801526.jpeg

I must have that somewhere. If I remember well and look at the personnel, it must be a Pablo recording. But all those Pablo records at that time had quite the same cover designs with some blue and some red, and rarely a photo.Β 

The encounter Diz , Milt and Ray is three key figures of the early bop days. ButΒ  if I remember rightΒ  from that record and other Pablo records Ray BrownΒ΄s bassΒ  often is much too loud in the mix. Monty Alexander was very much in demand in the 70Β΄s, he was a favourite of Norman Granz and later on the Concord label I think.Β 

As a drum-lover I just might say I would have preferred a drummer more fitting to Diz, letΒ΄s say Mikey Roker or Albert Heath.....

7 hours ago, scooter_phx said:

Dizzy Gillespie - Afro-Cuba (2021) Hi-Res Β» HD music. Music lovers paradise. Fresh albums FLAC ...

Is this the original recording of "Con Alma" ? I never heard that, I think they played it else than Diz played it later in the 60Β΄s-80Β΄s-Β 

Β 

11 minutes ago, BillF said:

charlieparker_onenight.png?itok=kpbdF-nT

Yes, on that short lived Electra Musician label from Bruce Lundvall there were some hiddn treasures where you wondered where that music had been so long time undiscovered.

Bird with a fine orchestra, and I think exactly from the same period there was also a Bud trio set and Bud with the same orchestra, and they had a rare Cliff Brown-Max Roach doin "Daahoud" ....

8 hours ago, rostasi said:

051501.jpg

NRG 1 is the first album in a new series from London based drummer/producer, Chiminyo, in which he and members of his musical community exchange (strictly improvised) NRG with audiences and capture the spontaneous beauty to be shared with the world.

NRG 1 features an all-star line-up (band members of Jorja Smith, Nubyan Twist, Gary Bartz, Nightmares on Wax, Yussef Kamaal) and you can really feel the vibrant NRG of the capital pulsating throughout. Tunes like β€˜Raze’ and β€˜Purple/Green’ and their whirling, high octane, jungle/brokenbeat aesthetic are balanced beautifully by tunes like the smooth, sexy, R&B anthem β€˜SLK’ and the downtempo, ambient, latin-house β€˜EleguÑ’, a Yoruba prayer, led by trumpet player Yelfris ValdΓ©s, cleansing the room and bringing positive vibes to the band and the audience.

Hadn't heard about this,I shall definitely be checking it out. The London scene is very interestingΒ