• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I must have this ! 
I have a Freddie Hubbard live at "Onkel Pö" in Hamburg from about the same time, I think it also has Billy Childs on piano, who is a fantastic keyboarder of the post Hancock period. I first heard him on J.J. Johnson - Nat Adderly from Yokohama 1977, and on other records from the late 70´s early 80´s. 

And Joe Henderson , Bobby Hutcherson, so this is a dream team, like one of those huge BN-revivals they did in Japonia , were they reunited leading stars from the BN-Era. I never heard about the bass player and the drummer, so I hope the drummer is tops, since that´s were things start for me. 

I think you'll enjoy it, Gheorghe.  :tup

There's also a second volume from the same engagement that's just as good, Keystone Bop, Vol. 2: Friday/Saturday:

51P4DiRNQvL.jpg

5 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

😁👍 What is the other LP? (Concord??) Have the "Dolphin" on vinyl.

Thanks

jazzcorner - The other album is Spring Is Here:

51Eloh-XARL.jpg

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

I think Wardell Gray´s discography is quite thin, I have under his own name two Prestige albums. The only annoying thing is all those alternate takes on the earliest session. 
I further have what I think is a Xanadu live session with Art Farmer and Hampton Hawes, that´s fantastic playing, only I would have liked to hear another drummer than Shelly Manne....

The very very best Wardell Gray I ever heard is as a sideman on the Charlie Parker album "The Happy Bird". He plays very long and fantastic solos there on I think "Scrapple", on "Lullaby in Rhythm" and "April". 

Well, of course, he lived before the era of the album, but there is lots of Wardell in the 3-minute 78 RPM format, and quite a range of stuff. Those that come first to mind are Bird's "Relaxin' at Camarillo" session, the Dameron date with Allen Eager and Fats, the Basie Octet, the Goodman sides with Fats and the early 50s quartet dates.

Hamilton De Holanda “Intimo” Adventure Music cd

I didn’t expect to enjoy this solo mandolin album as much as I do, I got it because it was very cheap and it’s on the Adventure Music label, a label I have learned to trust.

cda20490bad4c5dabb908eb507af2fc6af8500df

71qzN1tB-oL._SX522_.jpg

It seems odd that Frank Zappa never got around to issuing this music, although some compositions appeared in truncated form or alternate versions around 1970. Many Zappa fans will be familiar with this brief post Hot Rats band with Sugar Cane Harris, Ian Underwood, Max Bennett and Aynsley Dunbar. 

The session definitely has a bluesy air and most of the music sounds in finished form, aside from one breakdown. This band is known to long time Zappa fans who own the bootleg Hot Rats at the Olympic and this studio session doesn't disappoint, featuring extended workouts of "Chunga's Revenge:" and the burning instrumental "Twinkle Tits." I'd rather see more projects like this versus a box of build reels or yet another set of live music from the mid-1970s .

4 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

71qzN1tB-oL._SX522_.jpg

It seems odd that Frank Zappa never got around to issuing this music, although some compositions appeared in truncated form or alternate versions around 1970. Many Zappa fans will be familiar with this brief post Hot Rats band with Sugar Cane Harris, Ian Underwood, Max Bennett and Aynsley Dunbar. 

The session definitely has a bluesy air and most of the music sounds in finished form, aside from one breakdown. This band is known to long time Zappa fans who own the bootleg Hot Rats at the Olympic and this studio session doesn't disappoint, featuring extended workouts of "Chunga's Revenge:" and the burning instrumental "Twinkle Tits." I'd rather see more projects like this versus a box of build reels or yet another set of live music from the mid-1970s .

Looks interesting. Is it streamable?