Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, BillF said:

Well, of course, he lived before the era of the album, but there is lots of Wardell in the 3-minute 78 RPM format, and quite a range of stuff. Those that come first to mind are Bird's "Relaxin' at Camarillo" session, the Dameron date with Allen Eager and Fats, the Basie Octet, the Goodman sides with Fats and the early 50s quartet dates.

Well yes. I also have the "Relaxin´at Camarillo" recordings, the BN session with both tenor players, the "Stealin´Apples" with Goodman and Fats. 

And of course not to forget the live recordings with much longer solos. 

There is the Dex-Wardell horn battles on those "Bopland" Sessions, very fine tenor playing, but the drums and bass is not up to the leader´s standards, I think there is another one with Dexter and Gray and Clark Terry playing "Move" live. 
Dig the Xanadu session I mentioned. The one with Art Farmer on trumpet. "Donna Lee" etc. . Very fine, with exception of the too metronomic drumming. There should be more patterns on drums. 

18 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

R-7335032-1527413549-1138.jpg.ea62550de840f6b80c0eeed9259ae51d.jpg

Kat-Tet - Women

One of a number of excellent fusion or jazz-adjacent records from the French Caribbean that I have found recently through Discogs' recommended function.

Islands like Guadalupe and their Paris-centred emigre networks seemed to have been awash with talent in the early 1980s. 

For whatever reason they don't seem to have attracted the attention of English speaking jazz fans yet, unless I have missed something. They all have great covers (not so much this one) so would make for perfect Instagram clout posting.

Nice legs ! I like the cover, for the legs , but also that kind of music might be nice.

6 hours ago, BillF said:

NzAtOTA3Ny5qcGVn.jpeg

This is my favorite Gonsalves recording & this OJC CD sounds really good.

It's too bad it has an ugly "tab crunch". I hate when one of those jewel case tabs gets in front of the booklet and you close the jewel case before you realize it. They never come out. :( At least it's only one here.

13 hours ago, dougcrates said:

Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

Excellent!  :tup

Luiz Eça should be much more well-known in jazz circles, imo.

17 minutes ago, scooter_phx said:

Underrated mid 70s Freddie.  Cheezy album cover.

Terrific music. 

And the cover is indeed cheezy... but also fun.  ;) 

7 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Featuring Ricardo Silveiro, Herbie Hancock, Branford Marsalis, and Billy Childs.

A beautiful, silky album, as is typical of Caymmi’s artistry as a musician AND producer.

Dori Caymmi “Kicking Cans”

34d1ffecfc3a9fb4ecccd3132510ab3312efa177

I had to check the date on that one and was surprised to see it was from 1993.  There's a 1995 Art Davis album, but I wonder at what point Herbie stopped regularly recording as a sideman.