So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Keystone must have been a fantastic venue. I think I have a few albums that were recorded there , one might be an Art Blakey thing "In this Korner", one is a fantastic Pharoah Sanders, I think for a short time there was also a Dexter Gordon  album from Korner, and I read somewhere that Mingus also performed there, but I don´t think there is an album.

You're right. There are SO MANY excellent recordings from the Keystone.  Along with the ones that you've listed, some of my faves are by Bobby Hutcherson, Cedar Walton, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Jaki Byard, Woody Shaw, and Yusef Lateef.

There's actually an excellent book about the club, Keystone Korner: Portrait of a Jazz Club by Kathy Sloane.

71e+fdlfCZL._AC_UF600,600_QL80_.jpg

Now playing, prompted by the talk above:

51eGsRU-oNL._SX595_.jpg

Recorded in 1977

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Włodzimierz Nahorny Trio – HeartR-25739707-1673485763-5429.jpg.9b10decf737179d5bf6ae0874657e23a.jpg

First listen. It really knocks me out that after all this time there are still so many of these Polish Jazz releases that I have never heard but that are of such high quality.

The Other Tet – The Other Tet (Engine, 2009)

R-3398179-1395175600-5232.jpg

The Other Tet – The Other Tet (Engine, 2009)

Ni00NDU0LmpwZWc.jpeg

59 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

You're right. There are SO MANY excellent recordings from the Keystone.  Along with the ones that you've listed, some of my faves are by Bobby Hutcherson, Cedar Walton, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Jaki Byard, Woody Shaw, and Yusef Lateef.

There's actually an excellent book about the club, Keystone Korner: Portrait of a Jazz Club by Kathy Sloane.

71e+fdlfCZL._AC_UF600,600_QL80_.jpg

Now playing, prompted by the talk above:

51eGsRU-oNL._SX595_.jpg

Recorded in 1977

The Dexter Gordon Mosaic Select is from various dates at Keystone Korner in 78/79.

2 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

image.png.84a770e9837833375fcff4cbb303cac4.png

Obscure but very good. Paul Chambers' interaction with Eddie Costa is a highlight, as is Billy Byers' trombone playing. Hal is heard on tenor and clarinet as well as alto; it's probably his best album.  

👍