• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Joyce “Astronauta – Songs Of Elis” Blue Jackal cd

1308e683f4421941401d19d72b899305d0507e9e

This was the first Joyce disc I ever bought, and it’s a good one. What a band!

The system has been sounding fantastic this month. What a joy to have a resolving, involving system.

Acoustic Guitar – Dori Caymmi, Romero Lubambo
Bass, Producer – Rodolfo Stroeter
Design, Graphics, Layout – Marcílio Godoi
Drums – Tutty Moreno
Grand Piano – Mulgrew Miller, Renee Rosnes
Saxophone – Joe Lovano

17 hours ago, BillF said:

81PBWN2cmyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Back to a favourite from my youth. Amazing to think that this was so generally popular that "Straight No Chaser" from this album was on a juke box in Leeds University Students' Union in the early 60s. But, of course, this was pre-Beatles. My inspiration for playing it now was this fascinating analysis of what Philly Joe does in the opening bars of "Two Bass Hit" from the album:

Great suggestion, dear Bill !

The very very first jazz tune I ever heard in my live was "Milestones", once heard "Milestones", hooked forever ! But I didn´t have the album itself. My first album I could purchase was "Steamin´" . I had asked at a record store about "Milestones", and during that time you got a strange look, if you wanted something from the past. There were many Miles records, but they were those pop art covered 70´s albums, it was in 1973. 
But one thing I can say. Miles, Trane, Garland, Paul, PhillyJ.J. became my heroes. Maybe like for most chicks  it would be some actors or what they dig. Anyway it was in the pro-Travolta-era😄

The drumming of Philly on Two Bass Hit is fantastic. As well on "Salt Peanuts" which was my first drum experience from "Steamin". 

When I finally after years got the album "Milestones", I had known the title tune anyway, so I concentrated on the others and 2-Bass - Hit was a highligh, as well as Dr. Jackle and Straight No Chaser. But I think my favourite, or the favourite among my friends was "Sid´s Ahead", especially Trane´s solo ! And the Miles-chords comping Trane.

Somehow in my gang it is strange that Cannonball got less attention. We all were Miles-Trane-Philly-boys.

A pro pos boys.....the tune "Billy Boy" just the trio never appealed to me. Somehow it sounded silly for me as a tune, and it was just too much banging piano. I liked much more the more controlled way Garland played on medium tempos, that light thing alternating with block chords, but not the square block chords, but them hip Garlandish-voicings. 

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Somehow in my gang it is strange that Cannonball got less attention. We all were Miles-Trane-Philly-boys.

A pro pos boys.....the tune "Billy Boy" just the trio never appealed to me. Somehow it sounded silly for me as a tune, and it was just too much banging piano. I liked much more the more controlled way Garland played on medium tempos, that light thing alternating with block chords, but not the square block chords, but them hip Garlandish-voicings. 

Yes, listening again after so many years Cannonball does seem the weak link. As was revealed by his leader dates, he isn't playing his natural style here, but seems to be adopting something of Trane's sheets of sound, which doesn't suit him. My views on this haven't changed much. When I heard the album on its release I complained to fellow student Jack Massarik (later to be jazz correspondent of the London Evening Standard) that Miles had picked a tasteless altoist. In those days Miles + altoist = Bird, where I was concerned.

I agree that "Billy Boy" is a banal tune, but for me the track is rescued by Philly's fantastic exchanges with Garland.:crazy:

Edited by BillF

55 minutes ago, BillF said:

Yes, listening again after so many years Cannonball does seem the weak link. As was revealed by his leader dates, he isn't playing his natural style here, but seems to be adopting something of Trane's sheets of sound, which doesn't suit him. My views on this haven't changed much. When I heard the album on its release I complained to fellow student Jack Massarik (later to be jazz correspondent of the London Evening Standard) that Miles had picked a tasteless altoist. In those days Miles + altoist = Bird, where I was concerned.

I agree that "Billy Boy" is a banal tune, but for me the track is rescued by Philly's fantastic exchanges with Garland.:crazy:

100% agree with you !

I wrote in another context with some live Miles at Newport or Plaza, that Adderly is just not my thing, but to avoid to make "enemies" I stated that this may be a sacrilege. 

I have that strange thing with alto players. I like Jackie McLean, I like Jimmy Lyons, Donald Harrison, and yeah, I bought the BN "Somethin´Else" and while listening I said it is great because it´s supposed to be great, but I can assure you that I have listened 100s of times to other alto players who just appealed more to me. 

Yes, you are right: "Billy Boy" is rescued by Philly. Otherwise, I love everything Red Garland did, but beneath the tune that sounds banal to me and is to much piano-showcase, the sound of the piano at least on my old LP copy always was with too much treble. 

Last night and again now:

ODAtMzM4NS5qcGVn.jpeg

Marlene VerPlanck Loves Johnny Mercer (Audiophile, 1988)
VerPlanck's albums are sometimes weakened by relatively faceless support.  That is NOT the case here.  This band swings.  The rhythm work by Pizzarelli and Hinton is especially felicitous. 

Edited by HutchFan