• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Terry Callier - 'What Color Is Love'.  "Dancing Girl" from this moves me in ways nothing else does, and it's probably the single song (any artist) I have played most frequently over the past decade.  There are times, often late at night, where I have to here it, nothing else will do.

Sam Rivers' Rivbea All-star Orchestra – Aurora 

R-11160136-1511410708-5813.jpg.522bab6d2102f763bb8ce638c18d9de7.jpg

First listen to this in over a decade. I am less into it than I was. The rhythms, which were exactly what I liked about it, seem very dated and 1990s now.

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

MjMtNDEwNS5qcGVn.jpeg

How is this one? It looks like quite a promising mix of musicians.

Edited by Rabshakeh

On 5/27/2023 at 5:36 PM, jazzbo said:

I’m spinning this disc one more time.

Count Basie “April in Paris” Verve

fc790d476be5fa1593962280159aff896ad02d7e

I don´t have the Basie version but I think I heard a version with Thad Jones starting his solo a semitone up (Db) quoting "Pops goes the Weasel" , quite a trademark. 
I think I heard it on a Thad Jones small group album with the same gimmick that seemed to be a trademark. 

7 hours ago, felser said:

Terry Callier - 'What Color Is Love'.  "Dancing Girl" from this moves me in ways nothing else does, and it's probably the single song (any artist) I have played most frequently over the past decade.  There are times, often late at night, where I have to here it, nothing else will do.

I can understand that. Such a very special tune on a very special album

6 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

First listen to this in over a decade. I am less into it than I was. The rhythms, which were exactly what I liked about it, seem very dated and 1990s now.

Don't have that one but revisited the Rivbea Mosaic Select last week and felt the same - underwhelmed. It'll be a while before I play those again. 

26 minutes ago, rostasi said:

Thanks. Great sound there. I'll have to try and get my hands on it. Does anyone know where I can buy this? I'd even pay for a good download at this point. I'd actually prefer a download since there were only 300 CDs made so a physical copy would probably cost more than I'm willing to pay.

The Cellar Door label is defunct now, isn't it?

20 minutes ago, bresna said:

Thanks. Great sound there. I'll have to try and get my hands on it. Does anyone know where I can buy this? I'd even pay for a good download at this point. I'd actually prefer a download since there were only 300 CDs made so a physical copy would probably cost more than I'm willing to pay.

The Cellar Door label is defunct now, isn't it?

From Bill Reed:

"The seeds for this release were planted in early 2009 when I introduced a music group from the stage of L.A.s Hollywood Studio Bar & Grill and in which I referred to myself as a jazz record producer. Afterwards, in between sets, I was approached by a pleasant and attractive woman who introduced herself as Dory, and in a somewhat self-effacing manner said to me: My late husband was a jazz musician and perhaps you might be interested in some of the unreleased recordings he left behind. Maybe you've heard of him. I asked his name, and when she told me, I made no attempt at concealing my enthusiasm: Richie Kamuca! Of course I've heard of him. We were off to the races. Dory and I made an appointment to go through Richies tape archives, and a few days later we got together at her pleasant Los Angeles condominium, with archives being perhaps not quite the right word. For while the boxes of cassettes and a handful of reel-to-reel were well taken care of, there was very little in the way of written description on the tape containers. Before departing that afternoon, Dory told me a little bit about her marriage to Richie. Until the end of her husbands unspeakably short life (he died in 1977 just before his 47th birthday), they had led an uncommonly comfortable life for a couple whose main source of income was his activities as a jazz musician. This, due to his more than a decade as a fixture in Merv Griffin's TV band, first on the east coast and then in Southern California when the tele-talker moved his base of operations westward. Dory entrusted me with the tapes and I spent the next few weeks listening to, and trying to suss out the audial contents of those dozens of tapes. Finally, the cassettes contained little that was releasable, due to poor sound quality. (Just put the mini-recorder down anywhere.) But WHAT was on the small batch of 7 inch reel-to-reel tapes? Needless to say, I no longer possessed such a creature in my small arsenal of audio equipment. At one time a near-common fixture in sound-oriented homes, the r-to-r tape machine has suffered the fate of 8-track, quad, and a panoply of other once-common audio novelties of recent memory since consigned to the Museum of Forgotten Formats (For BETA, turn right at the Selectavision room.). I was not even able to rent one from any audio supply houses in Los Angeles. But at just about the time I was ready to give up, I learned that my friend, vet jazz trombonist Dick Nash owned one. AND he was happy to loan it to me, for as he informed: I haven't used the thing in years. (Thanks, Dick!) I began to listen to the r-to-rs, and what I heard turned out to be well worth the all the tsuris I had gone through to secure a player. A box labeled Buddy Tate - Richie Kamuca - Dontes 1970 was exactly that: a blistering intergenerational late night jam session at the long-gone, legendary North Hollywood jazz spot Dontes. Overall, it was so good that the contents were issued in late 2009 by Japanese jazz label, SSJ Records. Equally rewarding, and with even better sound, was a box labeled Kamuca - Konitz Dontes 1974 and which serves as the basis for this release, a summit meeting of two giants of jazz sax, and a near-first for them. Donte's, where this album was recorded, opened shop in 1966 in North Hollywood, CA and ran continuously for more than twenty years, finally shuttering for good on April 3, 1988. During that time, there were very few stars in the world of jazz who did not appear there either on stage or else in the audience. For it was an especially favored hangout of musicians from the Tonight Show band which operated out of nearly NBC-TV studios. The club was the brainchild of former dancer and choreographer Carey Leverette, who was found dead in the club's cluttered office just three days after it had closed its doors for good. --- Bill Reed