• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Charles Earland - Leaving This Planet (1974, Vinyl) | Discogs

4 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

👍😁 A very good series with the Metropole Orchestra.

Metropole Orchestra      I wished on the moon - Bill Perkins     1990          Candid

Metropole Orchestra      Saxophone Dreams - Lee Konitz          1997          Koch Jazz

Metropole Orchestra      Andy Martin & Metropole Orchestra  1997          Mons

Metropole Orchestra      A flower is a lovesome thing - B.Cooper/B.Shank          1998  Koch

Metropole Orchestra      Out Of This World - Bob Brookmeyer 1998          Koch

Metropole Orchestra      Twilight - Bart van Lier / Vice Mendoze          1998  Koch

Metropole Orchestra      A Beautiful Friendship - Neil Richard Singers          1998  Koch Jazz

Metropole Orchestra      Love Walked In -  Jiggs Wigham        1999          Koch

Metropole Orchestra      LPyramid - Lew Tabackin 1999  Koch

Metropole Orchestra      Only A Rose - Zoot Sims 1999  Koch

Plus this one

42718972ze.jpg

All of these look tasty...

12 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I especially love Healing Force and Evidence of Things Unseen from that set [Don Pullen Black Saint / Soul Note box.  Two terrific solo piano outings.

Agreed those two solo piano albums are exceptional, they've overall made the biggest impact on me. But there's not a bad one in the lot, and on this present traversal of the box I'm particularly digging Milano Strut with Don Moye (and Pullen playing some organ).

13 hours ago, JSngry said:

Mi05MzU5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Mi0yNzU5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Sonny and Bird both on tenor...oh my! And some kicking early Philly Joe to boot. 

Some young jazz students today seem to re discover "Serpent´s Tooth". It´s interesting how some of Miles´ compositions from those early fifties are mostly bop lines but they have that little "Miles Davis" touch in them, somehow capturing the one or other sound from "Birth of the Cool". 

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

Ny0xNDUzLmpwZWc.jpeg

I wished I liked this more than I do...

Still - kudos to Shepp for bringing out another great Cal Massey piece, "Lookin' For Someone To Love".

I find that most Shepp records from this era have one good “single” track and a bunch of phoned in filler.

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Some young jazz students today seem to re discover "Serpent´s Tooth". It´s interesting how some of Miles´ compositions from those early fifties are mostly bop lines but they have that little "Miles Davis" touch in them, somehow capturing the one or other sound from "Birth of the Cool". 

Serpent's Tooth is a Jimmy Heath piece. 

5 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I find that most Shepp records from this era have one good “single” track and a bunch of phoned in filler.

I wish that Shepp himself had been mixed much more forward on this one. 

On 6/1/2023 at 10:16 PM, JSngry said:

OC02Nzg1LmpwZWc.jpeg

MC03MjczLmpwZWc.jpeg

Still satisfying, maybe because I imprinted in it when it was only 20 or so years old, not 72. A lot of the future still lay ahead then! 

Besides, hey, Sonny Rollins still coming into his own is still very much Sonny Rollins. Same with Jackie McLean. Same with Art Blakey with no hi-hat.

Standing out this time is Tommy Potter.

Hell, I still love bebop, the real deal, that is.

I was gifted my copy by a very good friend. Would never have known about it otherwise.

Discogs has no copies for sale, so check CD Japan?  As far as I know, it's Japan only. But Chicago should have a source I would think. Maybe not in-store, but locatable for a price. 

The "+5"  cuts are not of the same audio quality and sound like cassette dubs of more than one generation. But hell, Warne is in totally peak form on then, so, you know, fuck "sound quality".  This is genius and this is what we have. 

Thanks