Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Jim Duckworth said:

I was listening to Jean Matelo Ferret just this morning and Sarane Ferret yesterday.  I am not familiar with Jo Privat, but definitely about to be...

Which record was that you were listening to? I like this one a lot. Very loose and imaginative and not too stuck in a swing rhythm when it doesn't want to be.

18 hours ago, BillF said:

NjktNjUzNC5qcGVn.jpeg

Roman Schwaller, one of my favourites and such a great musician. I have jammed with him on some occasions, just a few weeks ago he sat in on a wonderful "Lover Man" in the original version in Db. 
So many stories. He was part of the Viena Art Orchestra, and around 1980 I saw him after a concert of Sonny Stitt when they tried to build up a Three Tenors Jam at a famous nightclub here in town. Roman and Harry (Sokal) were great but a very drunk Sonny Stitt fooled around. 

2 hours ago, dougcrates said:

McCoyTyner-TimeForTynerExpanded_bda368dd

I love the album, the repertory and the fellow musicians. That drummer Freddie Waits is great ! 

16 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Which record was that you were listening to? I like this one a lot. Very loose and imaginative and not too stuck in a swing rhythm when it doesn't want to be.

Les Gitans de Paris 1938-56

This 3 disc collection has been a revelation and a lot of fun.  I checked out Jo Privat on YouTube and was overwhelmingly impressed, so I rounded up a copy of Manouche Partie for myself.  Thank you for the excellent recommendation.

1 hour ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Les Gitans de Paris 1938-56

This 3 disc collection has been a revelation and a lot of fun.  I checked out Jo Privat on YouTube and was overwhelmingly impressed, so I rounded up a copy of Manouche Partie for myself.  Thank you for the excellent recommendation.

That looks interesting. Does it collect specific LPs? Discogs is not much help.