• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

All middle period? 

Yeah, for the most part. I've neglected this era for Hubbard for whatever reason. 

Keeping it going:

OS5qcGVn.jpeg

OC0zNTA0LmpwZWc.jpeg

Not relating to these albums I've posted, but I noticed that the track The Melting Pot from Hubbard's Blue Spirits is not streaming. It's blacked out on that album and any other digital comp where it's included. Wonder why that is? 

Edited by Dub Modal

13 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

These mid period Hubbards get a bad rep. There's a lot of worth on them.

Great listening session today while working. There are a few clunkers but overall very enjoyable. 

OS0yMTA5LmpwZWc.jpeg

MS5qcGVn.jpeg

Mistral isn't streaming, only via needle drop video. Wild who's on this record: Art Pepper, Peter Erskine, Stanley Clarke, George Cables, Phil Ranelin et. al.  

An interesting project conceived and produced by the late Bob Belden who was always generous in communication with me and other fans. Miles pieces re-imagined with care and innovation compared to the originals. Neat arrangements and performances. And some excellent engineering.

“Miles en Espanol: New Sketches of Spain” 2 disc set

65f535396247880e75a19f0c000c1584d2a53d4d

Edited by jazzbo

22 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Great stuff, both volumes

Indeed. Now playing Volume 2, which drops a notch (but just a notch, just one) in the Geniuses Bounding Unbounded department. It's still quite the sight to aurally behold. 

5 hours ago, rostasi said:

image.jpeg.60f8036313b1a05e5ec945816bcf1eb6.jpeg

Allan Praskin is booked here in Vienna next week at Jazzland. We work as a quintet format, and it´s me on piano. 

11 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Yeah, for the most part. I've neglected this era for Hubbard for whatever reason. 

Keeping it going:

OS5qcGVn.jpeg

OC0zNTA0LmpwZWc.jpeg

Not relating to these albums I've posted, but I noticed that the track The Melting Pot from Hubbard's Blue Spirits is not streaming. It's blacked out on that album and any other digital comp where it's included. Wonder why that is? 

Freddie Hubbard was THE trumpet player everybody talked about during my boyhood and youth. He had left a big impression here since his first appearance in Graz with the Max Roach Group, where he is recorded including his cursing the audience as "jive assed muthaf+++++s" but he was damn right because they laughed during a solo cadenza of him. 

But we knew this kind: The more the artist "hated" the audience, the more the audience loved him, same with Miles here in Austria during those years. 

It´s strange that Diz was not mentioned much in the early 70´s by us hipsters, well yeah in context with Bird, but I doubt many had his albums of the 50´s, 60´s or early 70´s. 

But Hubbard, well mostly when VSOP started and we were crazy about VSOP after years of late free jazz and electric jazz.