2017 MLB Facts, Lies, Propaganda, Opinions, & Pictures

I still don't think people realize just how good the Astros offense is ....for the series, Springer hit .412, Gattis .400,  Gurriel .529, Reddick, .375 and...who and I forgetting? Oh yeah, Altuve  .533, 632 OBP. 

Reddick drove in 9 RBI's for the Dodgers last year, in 155 AB's. had a career year this year at the age of 30, .314, 362 OBP. Kimbrel was throwing 99-100 and kept fouling them off, and if hitters don't swing at the slider...doesn't matter how hard you throw, they will hit it eventually . And Reddick hit a ground ball to the SS....only the SS was playing close 2nd cuz you know...you have to put a shift on every player now.....

Edited by BERIGAN

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Berigan, yes to Houston's offense--it's ridiculous. Still think it's coming down to a Dodgers-Astros World Series. 

Whatevet happens Wednesday night, I hope that Joe Girardi's back next year as the Yankees' manager. Yeah, he screwed up not asking for a review, but damn, people make mistakes... He just should have owned up to it sooner. His strengths far outweigh his flaws IMO and he's got a lot of Yankee soul in him:

Girardi emotional after Game 4 win

Plus it's NYC--not only do you have to manage on the field, you gotta deal with the A-Rod factor or whatever else the soap opera story of the moment is. (I know this happens on other teams as well, but NYC's the mega-media stage for it.) Joe's remarkably good at navigating that. There's an outstanding new generation of talent at hand, and I hope he sticks around to manage it. 

Edited by ghost of miles

12 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Moral victory achieved!  I still give Cleveland great odds to take the final game at home, but at least NY's bullpen will be rested (and what a performance by Kahnle tonight after Betances quickly showed that he didn't have it in the 8th... whew! Also an excellent outing from Severino after his wild-card disaster). All down to Wednesday night now.

Severino was outstanding. Betances, a disaster.

Sure, odds are in favor of Cleveland, but I really like NY's chances now.

Cleveland's a bit banged-up right now--haven't seen any update on the likelihood of Encancion being available for Wednesday night's game. But Kluber says he's figured out why his command was off in Game 2, and he'll be pitching at home on regular rest. Plus the Indians have to be mad as hell right now after losing such a close one in Game 3 and then giving NY so many error assists last night--and now their season's on the line as well. OTOH I'm sure the Yankees are pumped by their return from death's door... who knows, maybe they've got a 1996-style run in them.

Edited by ghost of miles

6 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Hey Berigan, yes to Houston's offense--it's ridiculous. Still think it's coming down to a Dodgers-Astros World Series. 

Whatevet happens Wednesday night, I hope that Joe Girardi's back next year as the Yankees' manager. Yeah, he screwed up not asking for a review, but damn, people make mistakes... He just should have owned up to it sooner. His strengths far outweigh his flaws IMO and he's got a lot of Yankee soul in him:

Girardi emotional after Game 4 win

Plus it's NYC--not only do you have to manage on the field, you gotta deal with the A-Rod factor or whatever else the soap opera story of the moment is. (I know this happens on other teams as well, but NYC's the mega-media stage for it.) Joe's remarkably good at navigating that. There's an outstanding new generation of talent at hand, and I hope he sticks around to manage it. 

Ghost, I just think it's ridiculous to blame him , especially since the first video they got was inconclusive, to say the least. Should he had done it? yeah. but I think the team was focused on the footage, not just might as well challenge...besides, it might not have been overruled.

Gary Sanchez, who was as close to the play as anybody, was practically begging Joe to challenge the call.  Yanks still would have had a challenge to burn, too, not to mention potential umpire-initiated challenges from the 8th inning on.  I don't think he should be fired for it or anything like that (extreme overreaction from some frustrated fans), but it was a bad decision compounded by his taking CC out too early as well (IMO). The funny thing is that Joe wins more of his challenges (73%) than almost any other manager in baseball (if the stat I saw the other day was accurate).  I really do believe he's as good a manager in most respects as the Yankees could ask for; I doubt they'll can him, even if (with all likelihood) NY loses tomorrow night.  

4 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Gary Sanchez, who was as close to the play as anybody, was practically begging Joe to challenge the call.  Yanks still would have had a challenge to burn, too, not to mention potential umpire-initiated challenges from the 8th inning on.  I don't think he should be fired for it or anything like that (extreme overreaction from some frustrated fans), but it was a bad decision compounded by his taking CC out too early as well (IMO). The funny thing is that Joe wins more of his challenges (73%) than almost any other manager in baseball (if the stat I saw the other day was accurate).  I really do believe he's as good a manager in most respects as the Yankees could ask for; I doubt they'll can him, even if (with all likelihood) NY loses tomorrow night.  

Well, no doubt Sanchez "heard" it hit the knob, right? But....it could have nipped the hand as well....I just don't know if they would have overturned it, but yeah don't get caught up in the angles if it is worth challenging it or not.

Of course the pitcher that gave up the granny, no issues there :P

Baseball is sooooo very different than it was when we were growing up...heck, just the last decade or so...you cannot, YOU CANNOT allow the starting pitcher to stay out there and give up a run in the 7th...6th, heck even 5th now....doesn't matter how much of a role a starter is on. (not saying I agree with it) Especially an older guy...he'd get torched even worse than for not challenging the call.

Guess Bruce Bochy is the father of removing pitchers in the 3rd/4th...

1 hour ago, Brad said:

The Indians didn’t play well in this series. The Yankees should have won in four. 

Amazed that New York won, though, and came back from a 2-0 deficit. (Also amazed that they could win with their #2 hitter and offensive centerpiece racking up three golden sombreros in a five-game series.) You're right about Cleveland not being at their best, though.  Thrilling ALDS.

Also credit to Didi Gregorius, who's been Mr. October 2.0 (crucial game-tying HR in the wild card game as well as the two home runs tonight), CC for the vintage start tonight, and Gardner for that epic 9th inning at-bat tonight against Allen. Also David Robertson (thank God we made that trade with the White Sox) and Aroldis Chapman, who's really returned to form. Houston's an even better team than Cleveland, and NY's had a helluva "rebuilding year"... But if they've made it this far, might as well try to keep going, right?

You just can't figure out what will go on during the post-season.  A short time ago, Cleveland would lose 3 games in an entire  month.  Now they lose three straight to the Yankees.  With the bats going ice cold, the defense going to hell, and their best pitcher being godawful--I guess we were lucky to have won two games.  And I'm a home town fan.