2017 MLB Facts, Lies, Propaganda, Opinions, & Pictures

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole year? No, even without any further information, no. They're just now getting the cojones to have a code of conduct for fans.

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2017/10/28/16565730/manfred-gurriel-suspension-mlb-racism

All the more reason for MLB to get some training in place, though. If there is a clear expectation of what will and will not be tolerated while functioning as an employee, the easier it is to impose a punishment. Right now, it's pretty much interpretaional.

5 hours ago, catesta said:

It's hard to imagine that if it was a different type of racial slur such as your scenario or a gay reference, the player(s) on the offending side would not have been suspended for the very next game and maybe even the remainder of the WS.

Agreed--for whatever reason, it still seems in this culture that slurs against those of Asian ethnicity are not regarded on some level as being as bad. Also agree with Jsngry that MLB could stand to institute some sort of sensitivity training on these matters. It would behoove them to do so, given the increasingly multicultural makeup of both baseball's players and its audience.

I think it is a complicated issue.  Had Gurriel been born and grew up in the U.S., he would've been no doubt aware of how inappropriate his gesture/words were.  And if he still chose to do them, then any fine/suspension would be appropriate and deserved.

But he was born into and grew up in a culture where that type of communication is still acceptable.  As I mentioned earlier in the thread, he only defected to the USA in 2016.  Is it wrong that he acted in the way he considered to be common where he's from?

I believe Carlos Beltran brokered some communication with Darvish, and has been talking with Gurriel about what is and isn't appropriate in the culture here.  I believe he's also remoreseful and has apologized for his actions, and it seems clear it's already been a learning point for him.  I doubt he does something like that again.  He's also stated he's not going to appeal his suspension, and has agreed to take sensitivity training.  He appears to have learned from this already.

So is it worth condemning him for the culture he grew up in (and fled)? 

As an aside, I've lived in both Asia and Europe multiple times, and have noticed in both cases, with populations that aren't as diverse racially, there seems to be a more open willingness to make racial comments/gestures openly.  It's seems not to be considered offensive.  So I would suspect that people that grow up in other places and move to the U.S. take a while to figure out that what was acceptable "back home" may not be in the new country.  It's a learning curve like anything else.

On 10/24/2017 at 9:07 AM, Soulstation1 said:

Astros in 6 

On 10/24/2017 at 1:24 PM, Brad said:

On what theory.  Pitching prevails in the playoffs and LA’s SP is better. Bullpens aren’t even comparable. 

Looks like you may be right. Well, it won't be the first time (nor the last, probably) that I was wrong.

3 hours ago, Brad said:

That’s all right: Dodgers have Sandy, more than enough to cover the above.  Scott will still be scuffing the ball. 

Astros counter with Robin Roberts. The game was literally SRO, as we found out when driving to the Dome after church, couldn't even get bleacher seats. The old man got the whim, though, and made the drive. Never will forget that.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/437423-robin-roberts-remarkable-summer-houston-1965

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/HOU/HOU196509050.shtml

Hope the Astros defense is better, 52 years later. Although if Yu gets the win, i won't mind one bit.

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Astros counter with Robin Roberts. The game was literally SRO, as we found out when driving to the Dome after church, couldn't even get bleacher seats. The old man got the whim, though, and made the drive. Never will forget that.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/437423-robin-roberts-remarkable-summer-houston-1965

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/HOU/HOU196509050.shtml

Hope the Astros defense is better, 52 years later. Although if Yu gets the win, i won't mind one bit.

What a great way for Robin Roberts to go out. Never knew about that. Thanks for posting the story.

Delighted to share. It was a giddy time, really it was!

Roberts vs Koufax was, like, wow, here we go! I mean, literally, go, my dad made the decision to drive to the Dome, and it was almost an hour drive from church (which was in Crosby, Texas, so when the hurrican chemical factory disaster almost went mega, yeah, I know where Crosby, Tx was!), and I had been bugging the old man for a few days anyway, and then after church, I guess god spoke to him and said, hey Chuck, take you boy to see Robin Roberts pitch against Sandy Koufax, and Chuck heard the voice of god and went! LO!

It didn't work out, because apparently god was saying that to a BIG buttload full of people, because, seriously, literally, SRO. We had to wait in line just to get to the ticket booths, and that NEVER happened for Astros games, even in the inaugural season of the Dome. So for real - giddy times!

Let it be noted, though, that the memory of my dad's decision factored heavily into seeing it to it that my son got to both see Nolan Ryan pitch and go to a World Series game, both when he was old enough to have a lasting memory of at least being there. A good dad makes a lasting positive impact, and I had a good dad.

1 hour ago, Soulstation1 said:

Astros up 5-0

top of the 3rd

Yeah, bummer about Yu Darvish getting knocked out so early. George Springer has a chance now to break the record for most HRs in a World Series--oddly enough, he just tied not only Refgie Jackson but also Chase Utley, who's with the Dodgers now.

My appreciation as well, Jim, for that great Roberts-Koufax story, and glad that you've passed along the good-dad legacy to your own son.