Is there any video footage of Hank Mobley playing?

BillF

Had a chat at last night's gig at Malcolm Frazer's with youthful tenorman Liam Byrne who understandably loves the playing of Hank Mobley. Liam had never before met someone who'd seen Mobley play. Liam tells me no video exists of Hank playing. Does anyone know of any?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

meeker has this entry:

MONTMARTRE I STORE REGNEGADE

Denmark 2006 – s – tv

dir Kåre V. Poulsen

With: A tribute to The Montmartre Jazzhus

in Copenhagen on the 30th anniversary of its

closure given by several local jazz figures including

pianist/composer Niels Jørgen Steen,

illustrated with a rich selection of clips from

past performers:-

8. Hank Mobley, tenor sax.

(1968).

never saw it!

Keep boppin´

marcel

Edited by bichos
it doubbelt the post twice...

This is all fascinating information. I'll relay it to Liam. Pity, though, that no one's come up with a long-hidden clip - the Hank Mobley equivalent of the Buddy Bolden cylinder! :lol:

Edited by BillF

But it is strange. There are so many videos about musicians from the much older generation, and Hank....let´s say he lived  in a period when most musicians from his generation appeared on TV.

But it is strange. There are so many videos about musicians from the much older generation, and Hank....let´s say he lived  in a period when most musicians from his generation appeared on TV.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:47 AM, Rooster_Ties said:

There's footage of Tina Brooks.

And of Dupree Bolton, of all things.

Broken record, I know, but I think it's so surprising that we have a few Tina Brooks solos on video (w/ that Ray Charles footage, wasn't it from a South America tour or something like that?).

But it's downright shocking that there's nearly half-an-hour of Dupree Bolton(!) on video(!!) with Curtis Amy, on like 3-4 tunes. The odds of that having happened seem like 1 in 1,000, at best. Amazing!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

18 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

Did Hank play to moving picture cameras?  Yes.  Steve Allen Show 56 /// and now we know about the euro b'cast from the new cd........

Do these things survive today?  No // Probably not....

18 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

Did Hank play to moving picture cameras?  Yes.  Steve Allen Show 56 /// and now we know about the euro b'cast from the new cd........

Do these things survive today?  No // Probably not....

Some jerk re-used the tape that had all the great jazz musicians Steve Allen had on the first season, and wiped it out.

My obsession is to find any video of Tal Farlow in the period 1954-59, his peak period IMHO (maybe some Eddie Costa, too).

There are some Norvo trio tapes on you tube, but they're just accompanying singers in film shorts.

The one exception is "Keep It Cool", a 1955 short film featuring several bands.The Norvo trio with Tal and Red Mitchell play one tune , How Am I To Know?.

Edited by sgcim

I don't think tape was used on The Tonight Show until 1959.  However there may have been kinescopes which can't be erased.  Doesn't mean they still exist.

I don't think tape was used on The Tonight Show until 1959.  However there may have been kinescopes which can't be erased.  Doesn't mean they still exist.

The double-posting thing was happening from my phone, and I'm wondering if it's going to happen now with this (from my desktop/PC).

The double-posting thing was happening from my phone, and I'm wondering if it's going to happen now with this (from my desktop/PC).

NPR article 

Is there a holy grail video you been you've heard about and have been looking for, that you hope to stumble across?

I probably vacillate about this but I'm pretty comfortable stating that I desperately want to find video of saxophonist Hank Mobley. I have extensive contacts from around the world so when I tell you that I know of no one who's seen any video of Hank Mobley that is saying a lot. I've been looking for Mobley video for at least 25-30 years and I'm still looking and I'm still hopeful. Mobley spent a couple of years in Paris hanging and playing with Philly Joe Jones and also Art Taylor and I truly believe that some French TV station has footage of these jazz giants playing together. It's just a matter of time and it'll probably happen by accident when we at Jazz Icons are reviewing some archival footage of, say, Bud Powell in Paris and all of a sudden we notice there's a saxophonist in the band. IT'S HANK MOBLEY!!!

Actually years ago I had a similar real experience in reviewing some Bud Powell footage and determined that the saxophonist of one song was Lucky Thompson. Similarly, I had some footage of Lucky Thompson playing in France with a female pianist who I realized was Alice McLeod, later to be known as Alice Coltrane. So, Felix, these miraculous discoveries do happen.

http://www.npr.org/sections/ablogsupreme/2009/06/jazz_icons_video_series_treasu_1.html

NPR article 

Is there a holy grail video you been you've heard about and have been looking for, that you hope to stumble across?

I probably vacillate about this but I'm pretty comfortable stating that I desperately want to find video of saxophonist Hank Mobley. I have extensive contacts from around the world so when I tell you that I know of no one who's seen any video of Hank Mobley that is saying a lot. I've been looking for Mobley video for at least 25-30 years and I'm still looking and I'm still hopeful. Mobley spent a couple of years in Paris hanging and playing with Philly Joe Jones and also Art Taylor and I truly believe that some French TV station has footage of these jazz giants playing together. It's just a matter of time and it'll probably happen by accident when we at Jazz Icons are reviewing some archival footage of, say, Bud Powell in Paris and all of a sudden we notice there's a saxophonist in the band. IT'S HANK MOBLEY!!!

Actually years ago I had a similar real experience in reviewing some Bud Powell footage and determined that the saxophonist of one song was Lucky Thompson. Similarly, I had some footage of Lucky Thompson playing in France with a female pianist who I realized was Alice McLeod, later to be known as Alice Coltrane. So, Felix, these miraculous discoveries do happen.

http://www.npr.org/sections/ablogsupreme/2009/06/jazz_icons_video_series_treasu_1.html

3 hours ago, sgcim said:

No man, it didn't happen; it's all in your mind.

You can say that again! :wacko:

3 hours ago, sgcim said:

You can say that again! :wacko:

for the Dutch broadcast from the new cd, apparently both audio and video were erased at the TV station. the CD is based on a private audio tape (but there are some stills from the TV show in the booklet) - so this definitely was filmed but the chances that the video has survived are slim...

for the Dutch broadcast from the new cd, apparently both audio and video were erased at the TV station. the CD is based on a private audio tape (but there are some stills from the TV show in the booklet) - so this definitely was filmed but the chances that the video has survived are slim...

On 5/1/2017 at 10:47 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

There's footage of Tina Brooks.

And of Dupree Bolton, of all things.

But none of Hank. :(

Tina Brooks on tour with Ray Charles in South America - _O-Genio Ray Charles 1963 - Live In Brazil (DVD)

it's also been loaded onto YouTube

I'm surprised there is no footage of Hank with Miles Davis (he was heavily filmed, wasn't he?)

Edited by romualdo

1 hour ago, romualdo said:

I'm surprised there is no footage of Hank with Miles Davis (he was heavily filmed, wasn't he?).

A number of lengthy clips and appearances in 1964, and again in 1967 & 1969 (and later), but hardly any before 1964 -- just that one most famous one in ~59/60 with in the Robert Herdridge(sp?) hosted show, the one including Trane and Gil Evans.

1 hour ago, romualdo said:

I'm surprised there is no footage of Hank with Miles Davis (he was heavily filmed, wasn't he?).

A number of lengthy clips and appearances in 1964, and again in 1967 & 1969 (and later), but hardly any before 1964 -- just that one most famous one in ~59/60 with in the Robert Herdridge(sp?) hosted show, the one including Trane and Gil Evans.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Pitch correction needed on that tape, right?

Yes, along with the slapback effect!  

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Yes, along with the slapback effect!  

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Steve Allen was so cool.

Steve Allen was so cool.  

Steve Allen was so cool.

Steve Allen was so cool. 

Steve Allen was so cool.

Steve Allen was so cool.  

Steve Allen was so cool.

Steve Allen was so cool. 

You can say that again!

Paul Shaffer said in a recent interview that Letterman told him not to play any jazz, because he (DL) hated it.

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Steve Allen was so cool.

Steve Allen was so cool.  

Steve Allen was so cool.

Steve Allen was so cool. 

Steve Allen was so cool.

Steve Allen was so cool.  

Steve Allen was so cool.

Steve Allen was so cool. 

You can say that again!

Paul Shaffer said in a recent interview that Letterman told him not to play any jazz, because he (DL) hated it.