Is there any video footage of Hank Mobley playing?

BillF

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Is there a (free) streaming clip of the exact scene with Mobley, at the light levels the film is more normally shown at?  Like what did it look like before it was brightened so considerably.

Great find! Such a small thing, but so surprisingly exciting too!

Same scene, not exactly the same bit, from The Jazz Baronesshttps://youtu.be/2TX6Z7NiF0E?t=5m16s

F

5 minutes ago, bertrand said:

A while back, someone posted a brief Lo-Fi audio clip of one of Hank's last gigs at the Angry Squire. Was it here or Facebook or some other site? Did anyone capture it?

A while back, someone posted a brief Lo-Fi audio clip of one of Hank's last gigs at the Angry Squire. Was it here or Facebook or some other site? Did anyone capture it?

I have it.

5 minutes ago, bertrand said:

I have it.

With duke Jordan and a singer.

I got the link for a YouTube clip where they play Blues Walk. Although the comments mention singer Lodi Carr, she is not heard on this clip.

So, Dan, maybe you have a different clip or just longer. What songs are on it? Did you make an MP3 in case someone needs it in the future?

Edited by bertrand

1 hour ago, bertrand said:

I got the link for a YouTube clip where they play Blues Walk. Although the comments mention singer Lodi Carr, she is not heard on this clip.

So, Dan, maybe you have a different clip or just longer. What songs are on it? Did you make an MP3 in case someone needs it in the future?

I have the songs listed out by Fabio earlier, on CDR. He calls it B+ audio I'd say B/B+. Only Blues Walk and My Funny Valentine feature Hank. 

01 The blues walk 12.53
02 Billie's bounce (DJ trio)  6.03

03 My funny valentine 3.54

04 There will never be another you 3.36*

05 The Wildest Gal In Town 3.55*

1 hour ago, bertrand said:

I have the songs listed out by Fabio earlier, on CDR. He calls it B+ audio I'd say B/B+. Only Blues Walk and My Funny Valentine feature Hank. 

01 The blues walk 12.53
02 Billie's bounce (DJ trio)  6.03

03 My funny valentine 3.54

04 There will never be another you 3.36*

05 The Wildest Gal In Town 3.55*

(BTW I thought these double posts were something from my phone but I got back home to post this, and there they are. Got a hankerin' for double mint gum now.)

Edited by Dan Gould

8 hours ago, bertrand said:

Just woke up from a dream where, a day after the clip surfaced, 20 different people posted 20 different full Mobley concerts on Facebook with the caption 'you didn't know about this one?!?'

I'm going back to bed :)

Seriously, though, is it possible Newport 1959 with Blakey was filmed?

''-Seriously, though, is it possible Newport 1959 with Blakey was filmed?-''

At the moment, there is only this Live-Taped session of..: Art Blakey w. Hank Mobley.,sax..) In case of shares few more Informactions ,, fabiodrummy@gmail.com ,, Have a nice day., Ciao ,fabio,,-

-cd-235,1-ART  BLAKEY,dr ..Jazz-Messengers, Hank Mobley,sax..
..Lee Morgan,tr.+.Bobby Timmons,p.+.Jimmy Merritt,cb..
  Live at ' Newport 'jazz-festv1959)

-  ,,  ,,  -

8 hours ago, bertrand said:

Just woke up from a dream where, a day after the clip surfaced, 20 different people posted 20 different full Mobley concerts on Facebook with the caption 'you didn't know about this one?!?'

I'm going back to bed :)

Seriously, though, is it possible Newport 1959 with Blakey was filmed?

''-Seriously, though, is it possible Newport 1959 with Blakey was filmed?-''

At the moment, there is only this Live-Taped session of..: Art Blakey w. Hank Mobley.,sax..) In case of shares few more Informactions ,, fabiodrummy@gmail.com ,, Have a nice day., Ciao ,fabio,,-

-cd-235,1-ART  BLAKEY,dr ..Jazz-Messengers, Hank Mobley,sax..
..Lee Morgan,tr.+.Bobby Timmons,p.+.Jimmy Merritt,cb..
  Live at ' Newport 'jazz-festv1959)

-  ,,  ,,  -

Here is a late Mobley I missed: he is on one of the Newport all-star jams 7/6/73. I found this at the Library of Congress SONIC site, which means it can be listened to onsite.

Tape is incomplete, so there may not be much there. The one identified track is Night In Tunisia.

Hank was on the same concert as the Etta Jones Left Bank that recently came out, but his portion was not issued (yet?). It seems the first half of the band was the same quintet as Breakthrough, then Etta played with Cedar's trio for the second half. Hank is heard noodling behind the announce as Etta is introduced.

JSngry, weren't some of these filmed?

Edited by bertrand

Some of what filmed? Newport NY? Left Bank? None that I know of, but I wouldn't be a deep source on that, sorry?

I found the link, how does one go about listening ?

Jam session, group 2 (Dizzy Gillespie, Jon Faddis, Art Blakey, Curtis Fuller, Larry Ridley, Hank Mobley, Joe Farrell, Stan Getz, Cecil Payne, Barry Harris, John Blair).

https://star1.loc.gov/cgi-bin/starfinder/13967/sonic.txt

Maybe it was not you who posted a YouTube link to the jam from a different year. There was definitely video though.

Normally, one listens onsite, but maybe there is an offsite option these days. I will look into it...

Edited by bertrand

Wow! Thanks!    Where'd you get this?  I'm trying to collect everything Losin lists for Bird but I thought I'd never find this. 

Wow! Thanks!    Where'd you get this?  I'm trying to collect everything Losin lists for Bird but I thought I'd never find this. 

multiple dawgs through the years- thank you all.  Finally put it up so when I die someday it won't be thrown out- afterall, its the greatest set, in jazz history

multiple dawgs through the years- thank you all.  Finally put it up so when I die someday it won't be thrown out- afterall, its the greatest set, in jazz history

BTW The announcer makes it seem that it's Sonny on Mooche the Moose but Losin implies that it's Hank.  Opinions? Is it possibly both of them? Seems they're both on Ornithology-- at least during the heads. 

BTW The announcer makes it seem that it's Sonny on Mooche the Moose but Losin implies that it's Hank.  Opinions? Is it possibly both of them? Seems they're both on Ornithology-- at least during the heads. 

I believe they are both on it. Hank takes the first solo, then Stitt.

I plan to break it down a bit more in the next few days based on the timings, to identify who is playing when. I will discuss it on Facebook, but we can have that discussion here as well :)

Two interesting things:

1. The arrangement of Just One Of Those Things is the one on the Max Roach Debut record with Hank. Hank quotes Parker's Mood in both the live and studio solos.

2. The announcer seems to suggest that another pianist took over on some tunes. But who?

Edited by bertrand

• 2 years later...