Hey Kids, Have You Heard The News? MOSAIC's IN TROUBLE!!!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, I got the Bennedetti, I wouldn't NOT get it. But I'm also a "Bird freak", him being, imo, one of the few people in any field to whom the term "genius" fully applies.

This factored into my decision. Benedetti box has been on the wish list for 5-6 years. I'm a legitimate Bird fanatic and always felt incomplete without the Benedetti. Added urgency to support the good folks in Stamford in a real time of financial need.

55 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

If 80 Mosaics seems like a lot, my excuse is that I started ordering when Mosaic came into existence.

80 sets over 3+ decades? Doesn't sound unreasonable at all. 2 to 3 box sets a year? Hell, I amassed what is a grand total of 92 CDs of Coltrane as a leader over the course of about 3 years. And that includes only 3 box sets... Though, OK...the Prestige box accounts for 16 discs.

57 minutes ago, ElginThompson said:

Added urgency to support the good folks in Stamford in a real time of financial need.

Yeah, that moved me to pull the trigger as well. 

I wanted the set ever since I read about it in one of my Penguin guides, but for some reason kept putting it off. 

I waited awhile and missed some early sets, but I have 126 regular Mosaics (including the large boxed sets and three individual LPs released early on), all of the Mosaic Selects, all of the Mosaic Singles (except the contemporary series) and the Jazz Icons DVD boxed set. I've tried to do my part to keep them going. I think that I'm finally going to buy the Charlie Parker set soon.

Edited: I forgot there at least three single LPs: the Earl Hines/Pete Johnson/Teddy Bunn, the Port of Harlem Jazz Men, and the Benny Morton/Jimmy Hamilton. 

Edited by Ken Dryden

Well, looks like the Mobley set was there until the end! :)

Of the sets currently available, i'm getting a few pangs about the Hines but i'm okay. I don't want it enough to put strain on the finances (if i did, i would). 

Just another endorsement for the Benedetti: so glad that i have it. The idea of it always fascinated me, i jumped for joy when it finally came off backorder.

As i mentioned in the deleted thread, Mosaics have always been a luxury item for me, a special treat with an emphasis on the 'special'. I never even really considered them until the Threadgill came out and i HAD to have it. I'm very happy with the 10 sets i have, very very grateful to have them in my collection.

I'm very, very sad hearing these news. I have pratically all the big sets: I miss only the last Condon box, that I'll order from Jazz messengers in the next days (I'm from Italy). I discovered Mosaic about fifteen years ago, and I ordered directly from them quite all the boxes until Jazz Messengers became an easier way from Europe, free of import taxes. The rest I ordered directly from a member of the company and from ebay. It was a great adventure in music. A true treasure. Long live to Mosaic.

It's not surprising. Mosaic has probably run its course in many ways. Not because they adhere to a physical format, but because the audience for jazz is getting older and older, and once they had gone through the Blue Note catalog they've mostly focused on stuff from the 1930s and 1940s, which must have a pretty small potential audience. 

4 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

No that is not correct, according to the Mosaic staff person I talked to today. He said that one of the boxes which I ordered was on backorder, and that they would have it in two weeks. He said that he would ship my entire order when the backorder item comes in within two weeks.

I assume that's the MJQ set which has a note saying it's back in stock "in May"?

In any case it's depressing news. I was really looking forward to that Teddy Wilson set. As per the advice above I've ordered the James P Johnson in the hope it will be repressed. I've already ordered the Shaw, Condon/Freeman, Ella and Armstrong in the past week. The JPJ is the only one I don't have that I badly want. Fingers crossed!

Well, I heeded Michael's advice in his email today and placed an order for the Armstrong All stars live, the Lester Young and the mulligan LP set.

Still hoping the the Savoy, Mingus and Johnson sets reappear.  Perhaps the burst of sales they are making now will help the cause.  Michael's email advised us that some back ordered sets might not come back. 

As I look at the list off back ordered sets, I see the Armstrong Decca, Bing Crosby, Benny Goodman, and Turrentine sets that are number in the 240s or lower.  I'm guessing those might be candidates to not re-press due to their age.   The Mingus I would like is next at 253 which could be borderline, but it's Mingus....... right?

I did place orders for my back ordered sets as well based on what I had read above relative to placing orders for back ordered ets.  I had never thought to do that before.

As noted, the Goodman is on backorder, and I really don't "have" to have it, but I'll feel better about not having it if I at least try to get it now.

Hedging bets, though, I placed a separate order for some single CDs....not really sure how organized the warehouse/shipping thing is going to be right now, don't want to lose items in hand while waiting for another that will never come back.

My Boogie-Woogie select arrived yesterday, and the Jamal is hopefully en route, so hopefully they got somebody on point to keep it between the lines for the duration.

1 hour ago, crisp said:

I assume that's the MJQ set which has a note saying it's back in stock "in May"?

In any case it's depressing news. I was really looking forward to that Teddy Wilson set. As per the advice above I've ordered the James P Johnson in the hope it will be repressed. I've already ordered the Shaw, Condon/Freeman, Ella and Armstrong in the past week. The JPJ is the only one I don't have that I badly want. Fingers crossed!

I read what was posted above about placing orders for back-ordered items and I had never thought that having a backlog of orders might prompt them to consider repressing.  Not sure if that's the only thing that the decision is made upon, but I did place orders for the Johnson, Savoy and Mingus sets today.

1 hour ago, BFrank said:

OK, I just ordered Clifford Jordan. If I get it ... GREAT! If not ... at least I tried.

For your sake I hope they repress that one.  It is one of my recent favorites.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

As noted, the Goodman is on backorder, and I really don't "have" to have it, but I'll feel better about not having it if I at least try to get it now.

Hedging bets, though, I placed a separate order for some single CDs....not really sure how organized the warehouse/shipping thing is going to be right now, don't want to lose items in hand while waiting for another that will never come back.

Wow...if order #s are truly system-generate sequentially in the order of submission, business is booming?

My single CD order came in as #31189853, my Goodman order, again, submitted quite literally two minutes or less later, came back as #31189990.

I know that boxes are not shipped sequentially, but shouldn't orders follow a linear chronology? Or is there any chance that they went to different servers or something and a digit in the order signifies that?

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Wow...if order #s are truly system-generate sequentially in the order of submission, business is booming?

My single CD order came in as #31189853, my Goodman order, again, submitted quite literally two minutes or less later, came back as #31189990.

I know that boxes are not shipped sequentially, but shouldn't orders follow a linear chronology? Or is there any chance that they went to different servers or something and a digit in the order signifies that?

Duh! Of course business is booming! Along with my order, I accidentally talked three others into ordering the Benedetti set! 

Seriously though, I think their email helped. I don't know if any other Jazz message boards (are there any at this point?) had a thread similar to this one. Or any other forms of social media...but, the one thing I will note is that, as a community, Jazz fans do seem to circle the wagons unlike any other. Just the little bit we accomplished here today shows that. I think. 

Once I'm over the ass beating I'm in line for from my wife over this order, I'm going to order the Beehive set. I listened to the tracks they have on their site, and I was duly impressed. 

55 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

There's discussion about this at the Hoffman board that has resulted in orders and I mentioned it on two other boards. The word is out and I bet that email went to a number of inboxes.

That's great news! I completely forgot about the Hoffman board. I'd think they'd get plenty of orders from there. That's still a huge community.