Hey Kids, Have You Heard The News? MOSAIC's IN TROUBLE!!!

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

So I see the MJQ box is backordered, but says it is expected to be available again in May (presumably 2017).

Given the current situation, is it touch and go (at best, and probably extremely iffy), or is there any chance it could become available again?

(In other words, am I just SOL on that one?)

I called Mosaic and was told it will be in this month sometime.  Then I ordered it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have any folks from North America ordered from Jazzmessengers? I'm considering ordering the Armstrong All-stars vinyl box from them, but I'm hesitant.

The registration page is unsecure and I also worry about how they package things - even Mosaic doesn't box my vinyl orders as well as they should sometimes.

In short, can I trust them?

I'm surprised I can get it from them for the same price as from Mosaic seeing as it's been OOP for a day now.

Thanks for any comments on this.

Edited by WarpedOrb

They are a very good company to do business with. I find they will answer emails in English which is great because my Spanish isn't. I had a package go astray (not their fault) and get returned to them and they were on top of that and got a replacement to me right away. I would not hesitate to order from them, I've done it three or four times over the last few years, nothing but good service.

I have had 3-4 largish ($60-90) orders with Jazzmessengers over the  past few years, and all have gone flawlessly.  Only annoyance is that you have to sign for your package, which can mean a trip to the post office and several day delay if you don't have anyone to receive the package.

Well, if the MJQ set is back in play (and it appears it is!), then I'm contemplating getting all four of these (gulp)...

Bee Hive, MJQ, Oliver Nelson, and Threadgill.

But I'm not sure I'll convince myself to get all four, and I certainly don't "need" all of them.  Heck of a chunk of change (~$540 with shipping), and will I really listen to all of them enough?

Decisions, decisions. :unsure:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

4 hours ago, WarpedOrb said:

Have any folks from North America ordered from Jazzmessengers? I'm considering ordering the Armstrong All-stars vinyl box from them, but I'm hesitant.

The registration page is unsecure and I also worry about how they package things - even Mosaic doesn't box my vinyl orders as well as they should sometimes.

In short, can I trust them?

I'm surprised I can get it from them for the same price as from Mosaic seeing as it's been OOP for a day now.

Thanks for any comments on this.

Jazzmessengers is shipping from Spain, I live in Italy; I bought many boxes from them, they are very correct and the packaging is very good.

Had a couple of Mosaic packages arrive from JM in the past week and they arrived in immaculate condition via courier. They package the boxes double lined i.e. inner boxes housing the mosaics within an outer liner. As good as I've ever seen for packaging of these boxes.

No issues with bent booklet covers/pages either !

1 hour ago, BFrank said:

J.A.W. posted this on the Hoffman forum today: "Just heard back from Scott in another matter and he told me they've been swamped with orders - finally a more positive note"

image of Mickey Mouse and the the endlesly filling buckets in Fantasia comes to mind.. :mellow:

Yeah, their service is excellent. TNT shipping to over here was only a couple of days with the second box, couldn't be happier. Any issues and they are very responsive to help as well.

From what I have heard so far of the Hines it is great ! The Jamal is a nice set too (but it would be difficult to do a bad set of him).

Edited by sidewinder

After years of procrastination I pulled the trigger on the Threadgill set. I have about 30% of the set already ,which I told myself was enough.

However if ordering the Threadgill set increases the chances of a reprint of the JPJ set , then that's money well spent plus I get more Threadgill.

The things we say to ourselves to justify purchases.... I've been a Mosaic customer for twenty five years and have around seventy big sets. I can't see them fold without me lending my support by ordering .......

3 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Good to read the positive remarks about Jazz Messengers - the Hines box is my first order from them. The Jamal will be next if things will develop smoothly, i.e. financially. I'd rather go on a diet than miss the Jamal set.

Just got my first Mosaic package from them. Box within a box, definitely packed better than any Mosaic package ever received. 

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

Which sets did you get?

I'm stacking up on all the missing ones actually ... gotta stop eating for a few weeks.

Got Ella/Webb and Pres/Basie from Spain, and Mosaic has shipped the Savoy, Bee Hive, Bing and the fifth Jazz Icons sets.

Also found the James P., luckily, as Scott thinks that one won't re-appear ... that order hasn't arrived, so crossing fingers, knocking on wood and all that. That leaves the Benny Goodman, which was already on backorder a year or longer ago, when I decided that yes, I want to get it, too. According to Scott, it should re-appear again, hopefully (other long-term re-appearances that seem likely, according to Scott, are Mingus, Armstrong/Decca and the Bing, which is still around but probably sells enough that a next batch is scheduled). To re-appear soon are the Mobley, MJQ and Savoy, it seems.

Not sure I'm supposed to write this here, don't nail me down on any of it please ... but as Mosaic has been open about the situation and asked us to spread the news, let's continue doing so. Whatever brings them business is good.

57 minutes ago, king ubu said:

Didn't ask about that one as I have it. Not sure if no word means bad news, really couldn't tell. Best you inquire with them.

I just bought a copy of a Japanese reissue of Glass Bead Games to be safe. I thought that was probably the best album of that set, so I won't lose sleep over missing out on the Mosaic.