Hey Kids, Have You Heard The News? MOSAIC's IN TROUBLE!!!

I thought the Mosaic emails were simply a nice way to create a sense of community for Mosaic-/jazz-fans and it has pointed me to news I wouldn't have been aware of otherwise on many occasions. It's a tad unfair to call it lame and a tad+ unfair to call it "spam". I mean you do have to ask for it.  :D

I ordered the Louis All-Stars from Jazzmessengers. Thanks again to everyone who took the time to write a comment. I trust it'll come safe and sound. 

Now that it's off Mosaic's site I can't work it out - how does it compare to it's CD counterpart in terms of content? The CD box must have a good deal more music worth owning.

I also ordered the Getz vinyl box directly from Mosaic even though I wasn't planning on getting that one soon, if ever. I simply 'like' Getz, but I feel the vinyl Mosaics are a little more special and worth getting when I still can. Having said that I recently spent 4K on a new CD-player so I love those too.

Now if Prime Minister Trudeau gives me my tax refund I'll also get that Beehive, Woody ShawRoland Kirk vinyl, and who knows...thank god I started getting paid better a couple years ago and already picked up the "modern" stuff like Jordan, Threadgill, Braxton, and Mingus along with several others incl. Selects. I would never have been able to buy it all now with this trouble Mosaic is having so I feel I dodged a bullet. 

The sample audio for the Beehive really sounds great to my ears as does the Shaw. Scott was nice enough to put Shaw aside for me. A couple years ago I had my MJQ box stolen; with the book and two, still unopened CDs inside. They sent me replacements for $30. I love those guys and will miss them if they go.

Rambling follows:

For what it's worth I'm one of those "digital kids". I owe my knowledge/love of music to downloading thousands of albums and exploring music to find my way without having to waste tens of thousands of dollars on avenues not to my tastes. Having said that I love physical media - I like my collection around me. It's comforting and satisfying. I feel no where near the love or attachment to digital media on my sex-box computer and I don't think it's true ownership in my opinion as it feels somewhat ephemeral. I will dearly miss Mosaic when they go. To each their own. Younger folks are buying vinyl in droves and now cassettes (??!) and I've even seen new, ridiculously overpriced reel-to-reel so I don't understand this talk about the death of physical media. It's more like a cycle.

Rough collection breakdown (50% jazz primarily post-war): 2000 CDs/700 vinyl/700 digital. A bit on the small side, but a healthy balanced diet.

Sorry if somewhat off-topic.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the Gazette. I think I look at around a third of the entries. Their effort isn't lost on me as they pull together some interesting features that I would otherwise never see. The recent Horace Silver video from Italy being good evidence for the defense. 

I quite like the gazette, it is what it is. Only minor quibble is that the links in the email just take you to the Mosaic site rather than to the specific article (first world problems etc), but i wouldn't lay a formal complaint about it or anything. 

I like the gazette as well. It's not like I go looking for these articles. Not that they all are something I click on, but hell, it's Sunday, and I'm usually done with the whole thing in 15 minutes or less. Never a bother, and often enough enjoyable enough.

I like the Gazette as well, though that top ten list that was linked in a recent issue had a few ridiculous choices.

Mosaic will have to continue to focus on what they can do well while also selling a decent amount of copies. It always seemed to me that whenever they did a Capitol box, it inevitably went on sale at a lower price at some point, though I think the Nat King Cole was an exception.

I wish someone could get into the Monterey Jazz Festival collection at Stanford University and do a decent job finding releasable music which could sell. It seemed like Concord's effort was half-hearted and the titles quickly ended up deleted.

Edited by Ken Dryden

7 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

I like the Gazette as well, though that top ten list that was linked in a recent issue was had a few ridiculous choices.

I thought that the naive top ten list was quite interesting even funny. Mosaic's inclusion in their gazette was to highlight that jazz is still pulling in an audience.

I don't know anything about the writer but he/she comes across as young and just discovering the joys of jazz , has encountered some classics and Gregory Porter and wants to tell the world that they've discovered something worth blogging about.

The top ten could easily have been ridiculed but that would have risked deterring newbies expressing their opinions. I want jazz to live and so I'm delighted that someone feels sufficiently engaged to blog their opinions however I'll informed they might be.

I received this email from Jazzmessengers, regarding my order of the Condon box:

Thanks for your message and of course for this new order.

Everything is alright! We will send your box set today.

You are seeing this because you bought the last box set we had on stock.

On 5/5/2017 at 10:19 PM, mjzee said:

And a lover of the Fleisher Popeyes too!

:-D of course! Real art.

As all the american comic srips in my library (and not only, of course). And the Busby Berkeley musicals, and a lot of things...

and meanwhile my Hines box which I ordered over 10 days ago directly from Scott is in limbo. Card charged but nada so far despite emails and calls-none of which have been returned. All my past orders over the last 25 years or so have been shipped promptly so this is curious.

1 hour ago, mr jazz said:

and meanwhile my Hines box which I ordered over 10 days ago directly from Scott is in limbo. Card charged but nada so far despite emails and calls-none of which have been returned. All my past orders over the last 25 years or so have been shipped promptly so this is curious.

I think they're struggling, probably because of too few employees.  I used to get shipping notices with tracking information (I always choose UPS), but my last few orders didn't have that.  The orders did arrive, though.

1 hour ago, Scott Dolan said:

Did you receive a shipping confirmation number? 

I did receive an email on the 2nd saying my order had been sent to the warehouse for shipping. 

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

I think they're struggling, probably because of too few employees.  I used to get shipping notices with tracking information (I always choose UPS), but my last few orders didn't have that.  The orders did arrive, though.

and the Hines box is gone so I hope my box was reserved!

2 hours ago, mr jazz said:

I did receive an email on the 2nd saying my order had been sent to the warehouse for shipping. 

Ah, OK. Same here. Did your email also say:

"Please note that we are behind in shipping and we expect to ship your order in the 5 - 7 days.

You will receive a notice with tracking # when the warehouse ships."

My guess is that mjzee is right on the money. Too few employees, combined with a severe glut of orders over the last five days probably have them deep in the weeds. I would think if they've sent your order to the shipping warehouse, it is reserved in your name. 

Just had a message back from Scott in which he mentioned that there was the 'possibility' of the JPJ set coming back by the years end - if all goes well. Caveat emptor all round but - fingers crossed !

Another thumbs up for the Mosaic Gazette too ! :tup

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Just had a message back from Scott in which he mentioned that there was the 'possibility' of the JPJ set coming back by the years end - if all goes well. Caveat emptor all round but - fingers crossed !

Hope the JPJ does materialize and also hope the Clifford Jordan Strata-East set is made available again.

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

i had a similar  message from Scott re JPJ.

Perhaps the Justice for JPJ pressure group is already working....:)

Edited by Clunky
typo

2 hours ago, Clunky said:

i had a similar  message from Scott re JPJ.

Perhaps the Justice for JPJ pressure group is already working....:)

Based on what I've read here - seems like the pressure group has been very successful in delivering the message  :ph34r:

8 hours ago, mr jazz said:

and the Hines box is gone so I hope my box was reserved!

heard from Scott so things seem to be ok!