Drummer Mickey Roker 9/3/32-5/22/2017 - RIP

Kevin Bresnahan

So sorry to hear this - one of my favourites, stalwart of many 'Liberty' era Blue Note sessions and that fine band with Dizzy Gillespie. Not sure I ever got to see him - although actually saw his name outside Ronnie Scotts  no longer than 4 or 5 years ago, not sure who he was touring with. Sadly, I couldn't check out that gig.

Extremely versatile, tasteful and foot tappingly good drummer. RIP.

"Damn good". Yes - exactly.

Edited by sidewinder

He played drums with Shirley Scott during a benefit concert at the Ethical Society in Philly back ca. 1990.  Got to talk to him for a good while, and he was very kind.  Quite a drummer, entered my consciousness in the first two jazz albums I every bought in 1972 (both on the same trip to Franklin Music), Lee Morgan's "Live at the Lighthouse" and the Blue Note "Best of Herbie Hancock".  Led the house band for many years at Philly's Ortlieb's Jazzhaus, though I never got there.  RIP.

Sad day. I was lucky to see Mickey play at Ortlieb's many, many times backing up Shirley Scott and, after she left, as a leader in his own right. He always had some amazing musician sitting w/ him - Cecil Payne, Jimmy Oliver, Johnny Coles. Last time I saw him perform was around 2006 w/ Von Freeman (his only Philly performance).