• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been paying for 200 DPI color scans of photos from the Leonard Gaskin Papers at the Smithsonian (Non-Percy France division) and sharing them on FB on the Rare Jazz Photos page run by Loren Schoenberg but it occurs to me that not everybody would be seeing them there and some are mighty cool.

These all come from the folder labelled 1941-1947 although the scans actually go up to the early 1970s.  I'll continue to post here if there is interest.

Leonard Gaskin Papers, Archives Center, National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution

On the left is Count Basie and on the right is Clark Monroe, whose Uptown House was, along with Minton's, an important place for bebop jams. And with Minton's closing at 4 am and the Uptown House going until 7 am, a lot of people headed there before the morning came.  Other two are unknown. This was labelled November 1943, Kelly's Stable, 137 West 52nd St NY:

Basie-1943-Kelly-s-Stable.jpg

Ben-et-al-1944.jpg

billy-taylor.jpg

byas1.jpg

byas2.jpg

byas3.jpg

Joe-Carroll-Tramp-Band-1941.jpg

This one had no information but its generally agreed that it's Hawk with Roach on drums and possibly Hank Jones on piano (or Clyde Hart). Someone said the location is the Spotlight club.
Leonard-Unknown.jpg

Shavers-Gaskin.jpg

I'll try another.  

Saturday September 13 1997 at Jasper's Restaurant on Long Island: George Kelly's Jazz Sultans. Left to right, Richard Wyands, piano; Leonard Gaskin, bass; Emanuel Bateman, drums; Irvin Stokes trumpet; George Kelly, tenor and leader; C.I. Williams, alto, aka Charles Williams who made some great records in the 70s on Mainstream with Bubba Brooks and Don Pullen.

Antoinette Perry handled vocals but is not seen, but maybe that's her in the white outfit sitting near Mr. Wyands.

Leonard Gaskin Papers, Archives Center, National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution

George-Kelly-Charles-Williams-Richard-Wy

Those Gaskin Papers are wonderful ! 

I never saw photos of Leonard Hawkins (the trumpet player on the Savoy Session of Dex with Bud), the misterious Ebenezer Paul, Clyde Hart, of the early Eddie Lockjaw Davis and all of those great musicians. 

On 2/20/2023 at 11:07 PM, jazzbo said:

7854758654_fb262bf91f_b.jpg

Never in my life I would have thought that there is a photo of Miles Davis having fun with an acoustic guitar. I wonder what he would have played....maybe some "Spanish Keys" ?