Post a pic

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems like something extraordinarily rare .. Eddy DeVerteuil,  who recorded with Benny Carter and Cootie Williams (that's him behind him, I presume) before getting solo space on a recording by Kenny Clarke and His 52nd Street Boys which included heavy hitters like Fats navarro, Kenny Dorham, Sonny Stitt, Ray Abrams and Bud Powell. Then he seems to have disappeared.  A google image suggests that this may be the only known photograph of him.Eddie-De-Verteuil.jpg

Leonard Gaskin Papers, Archives Center, National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution

On 2/27/2023 at 2:08 PM, Dan Gould said:

Seems like something extraordinarily rare .. Eddy DeVerteuil,  who recorded with Benny Carter and Cootie Williams (that's him behind him, I presume) before getting solo space on a recording by Kenny Clarke and His 52nd Street Boys which included heavy hitters like Fats navarro, Kenny Dorham, Sonny Stitt, Ray Abrams and Bud Powell. Then he seems to have disappeared.  A google image suggests that this may be the only known photograph of him.Eddie-De-Verteuil.jpg

Leonard Gaskin Papers, Archives Center, National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution

incredible. Yes I remember, on that old Savoy disc "Fats-Kenny-Bud-Klook" I heard that fine baritone and wondered who he is and why he didn´t record further with bop stars, let´s say with Diz, with Tadd, with all of them.....
It seems there were musicians you once heard on a record, like "Leonard Hawkins" on that old Savoy disc "Dexter Rides Again" , and wonder what happened to them.....

Last night one of our mares, Penny, gave birth about 5 1/2 weeks early.  The foal was too weak to stand up let alone walk to her Mama's belly to nurse (and Mama had no milk to give that early).  About 3 am we made the decision to send her off to the big, wide open field in the sky.  What broke my heart this morning was seeing Penny stand over the body, protective Mama standing watch over "sleeping" baby. She hasn't figured out what happened yet but its starting to dawn on her now.

Screenshot 2023-03-03 125520.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...