Fantasy (Records) for sale?

jazzbo

Yep, they are pretty much the gold standard now for keeping things in print. The consensus is that it could not get better - only stay the same or get worse. As a private company today, they have the flexibility to ride through tough times without changing their policy - that might change in the future.

Eric

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

man, this sucks. I've heard two sad stories today, WB Jazz going down, and also that Fantasy may get sold. I have quite a bit of stuff from the Fantasy catalog, but I should get a few more K2's. WB Jazz going down worries me b/c now Pat Metheny's new record with the PMG slated for 2005 could be in jeopardy, although al he would need is to find another distributor, since he owns all the masters. Damn, this would also put a damper on the 24 bit remasters of Pat's Geffen material due out. oh well, I have all the originals anyway, but a remaster of Still Life (Talking) would be nice. Back to the Fantasy, I hope some of the Monk, Coltrane, Rollins, Evans and Montgomery K2's don't go out too fast before I can get them.

Look on the bright side - if and when the company gets sold and the inventory liquidated, it'll bring forth another Golden Age of cutout bins, the likes of which we haven't seen in decades.

Bottom Feeders, start your engines!

Edited by JSngry

Whoa...I never thought of that!

You ain't from these parts, are ya', boy... ;)

Seriously, I got REAL lucky back in 1970, when I was first discovering jazz. Apparently, Liberty had done a HUGE catalogue purge in either '69 or '70 (I looked it up in a Schwann years later, and the pages were virtually solid with black diamonds (and how's THAT for geek talk, hmmm?) and the cutout bins were chock full of Blue Note, Pacific Jazz, World Pacific, etc, for DIRT cheap. I bought INDESTRUCTABLE in 1971 for $1.99. How long was it before it was EVER made available again?

Later, when WB dropped their distribution of ECM, all of a sudden you could buy damn near ALL the catalog for, like, $3.99 per. Same thing when Strat-East went under - Peaches had that stuff out the wazzoo for a bargain price.

Let's hope this pattern doesn't repeat itself w/Fantasy. But if it does, be ready to pounce and spend.

These are the lessons that time teaches you. Carpe diem!

These aren't the collectable LPs that Jim refers to, but around '77 or '78 I was slithering around every record store I could find buying all the Blue Note Reissue Series and Prestige two-fers for $2.99 each........music I never would have been exposed to otherwise (as well as great liner notes).

Guest ariceffron

you guys are crazy- itll never happen like that again. there are no longer cds in woolworth and safeway et al they wont be 1.99 a piece. although that would be awesome

not true. many concord titles were 3.99 or 3/10.00 at barnes and noble last year during the liquidation/restructuring of that catalog. in my trips to the southwest a couple of years ago, i found many steeplechase cds for less than that at local chain stores after the label lost its u.s. distributor. there are similar stories elsewhere. it's not like they're going destroy all that stock - it has to go somewhere. btw, do yourself a favor and pick up creedence clearwater's chronical vol.1. i promise, it will enlighten. ^_^