Blue Note Review - By Subscription Only

Kevin Bresnahan

http://www.bluenotereview.com/

Expensive at $200, but I guess their thinking is that the limited nature of the material in the set will garner the collectors out there. To my thinking, $200 for 2 CDs, 3 LPs, a booklet, a couple of photos, a cork turntable mat and a scarf (??) is asking a bit too much.

My guess if if they made this a box with Tyrone Washington's "train wreck" session or that unissued Jazz Messengers session, a lot of us would be opening our wallets. :)

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I don't think I'm the target audience for this, although "peace, love, and fishing" is definitely a concept I can get behind with my thoughts.

I don't think I'm their target audience either... but then again, if not us, then who?

Like I said, given the limited nature of this and the stated fact that it won't be available outside of this set, why not make it unissued stuff that avid jazz listeners have clamored for? So what if it the material is "not ready for release" - you're not releasing it. Besides, I have heard that unissued Jazz Messengers date and I would love it if someone would edit it down to a releasable set of tunes, minor flubs and all.

Maybe if I look at it this way...

Double LP set - $35

Blue Mitchell "Step Lightly" - $20

Double CD set - $20

Booklet - $10

Photos - $20

Cork turntable mat - $10

Scarf - $85

$200! Sold!

Oh wait, I don't wear a scarf, at least not one that looks like that. I don't need that booklet. I don't need a turntable mat. I have "Step Lightly" on LP & CD. I don't need those photos. Hmmm... so $200 for ~$55 worth of music? Nah.

Looking at these LPs, I'm really beginning to wonder if the art of cutting vinyl is dead. Look at the deadwax on these LPs. These are supposed to have ~20 minutes per side. Whoever cut these unnecessarily compressed the music to fit it into an area smaller than he (or she) had to work with. I am seeing this more & more with modern cuts.

VF-BlueNotereview-box-set-B1.jpg

2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Maybe if I look at it this way...

Double LP set - $35

Blue Mitchell "Step Lightly" - $20

Double CD set - $20

Booklet - $10

Photos - $20

Cork turntable mat - $10

Scarf - $85

$200! Sold!

Oh wait, I don't wear a scarf, at least not one that looks like that. I don't need that booklet. I don't need a turntable mat. I have "Step Lightly" on LP & CD. I don't need those photos. Hmmm... so $200 for ~$55 worth of music? Nah.

Why 2 CD:s If it's 80 minutes of music? Maybe it's 80 minutes and a half...

But maybe the comic strip with Stanley Turrentine and Alfred Lion could be something? 

Edited by Daniel A

wait why didnt they make a cool bn turntable mat,i could of designed a betterone

i thought it was an "onion" style thing at 1st,that "jazz is not a crime" mat says it all.....that has zero blue note casche.  did you see that?  there must be some 1%'er type market out there somewhere that we dont know about, that is going to get this.  real fans want new vault tapes.  

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Actually, if I got this set from my wife as a Christmas or b-day present, I would've been like WOW. But I won't...:(

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Fishing. Cannonball. Jazz.

If you find a better real-world deal than that, take it. (scarf not included)

Whatcha got for fishing jazz tunes?

And don't bring up Kurt Weil!