Higgins gone

ejp626

The actor, John Hillerman, who played Higgins in Magnum P.I. has just passed away: https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2017/11/09/magnum-pi-actor-john-hillerman-dead-at-84.html

I haven't seen reruns of Magnum in ages.  I liked it as a kid, but don't know how well it stands up today (or rather how much have my tastes changed).  I think even then I had just a bit of a soft spot for Higgins, who was so often the butt of Magnum's jokes.

RIP

That's a shame, he was in everything from Blazing Saddles, to the 70s TV version of Ellery Queen.

Magnum, if your expectations aren't too high, can still be a lot of fun, chiefly because of the camaraderie, between Magnum, Rick, T.C. and Higgins....there are a few bomb shows (Like the "real" episode  wasn't ready, so run this one we just wrote in an hour) others, like when a cruel Vietnam era colonel killed a friend of Magnum, who rushed ahead to Magnum's car after they had been up all night to see the sunrise, and was blown up (instead of Magnum  of course) and when it looked like the Colonel was going to be able to get away with it , Magnum asked him, did you see the sunrise today? the Colonel said yes, and Magnum shot him...saw it 20+ years later the first time, still gave me chills....

Anyway, you can get the seasons dirt cheap now...

In the late 80's, my Dad and I flew out west to see some British friends of his, he had known since the 50's, who were on their first trip to the U.S. . They came with a few other couples from England. One couple happened to mention Higgins, and when I asked them if they thought for a guy from Texas, he did a decent British accent....they were shocked to find out he wasn't born and raised in England! Now, I am sure others might say it wasn't all that and a bag of chips, I think that's pretty impressive....

Rest in peace Mr. Hillerman...

3 hours ago, BERIGAN said:

That's a shame, he was in everything from Blazing Saddles, to the 70s TV version of Ellery Queen.

Magnum, if your expectations aren't too high, can still be a lot of fun, chiefly because of the camaraderie, between Magnum, Rick, T.C. and Higgins....there are a few bomb shows (Like the "real" episode  wasn't ready, so run this one we just wrote in an hour) others, like when a cruel Vietnam era colonel killed a friend of Magnum, who rushed ahead to Magnum's car after they had been up all night to see the sunrise, and was blown up (instead of Magnum  of course) and when it looked like the Colonel was going to be able to get away with it , Magnum asked him, did you see the sunrise today? the Colonel said yes, and Magnum shot him...saw it 20+ years later the first time, still gave me chills....

Anyway, you can get the seasons dirt cheap now...

In the late 80's, my Dad and I flew out west to see some British friends of his, he had known since the 50's, who were on their first trip to the U.S. . They came with a few other couples from England. One couple happened to mention Higgins, and when I asked them if they thought for a guy from Texas, he did a decent British accent....they were shocked to find out he wasn't born and raised in England! Now, I am sure others might say it wasn't all that and a bag of chips, I think that's pretty impressive....

Rest in peace Mr. Hillerman...

Ha! Just thinking about Blazing Saddles makes me laugh. Magnum is definitely on my all time favorites list.

RIP

Didn't I read when the man who played the Mayor of Rock Ridge died that to get him to sign on, they took lines away from Howard Johnson and gave them to him, leading Hillerman to say that his script was a lot funnier until he arrived?

Anyway a fine performer, I've been noticing Magnum in syndication somewhere on our new cable lineup I should try to watch a few episodes.