Michael Cosmic Reissue finally here

jcam_44

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the note. I worked for years on getting this happening, and it's finally out. 

Of course I am biased but it's a lovingly assembled package, straight from the master tapes and with much joy and friendship coursing through.

Phill Musra is a good friend and I'm looking forward to seeing what the future holds.

12 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Thanks for the note. I worked for years on getting this happening, and it's finally out. 

Of course I am biased but it's a lovingly assembled package, straight from the master tapes and with much joy and friendship coursing through.

Phill Musra is a good friend and I'm looking forward to seeing what the future holds.

Clifford, can you give us a preview of what our ears could expect from this?  Never quite sure what to make of the DG descriptions.  Is this up my alley?

It's pretty far out and very intense music, but there are a lot of little instruments and the themes are often bluesy or middle eastern in feel.

It should be distributed in Europe, yes. Maybe SoundOhm or Jazzman will be dealing with that? I'll clarify and respond with more info. 

Disk Union is handling Japan. 

On 11/22/2017 at 7:35 PM, clifford_thornton said:

My copy arrived today. Packaging is exceptional! Sound quality is as well. So happy to have a sanctioned release of this 

I picked up my copy via Now Again Records "Reserve" subscription, which has proven to be a solid quarterly-release subscription over its first couple years. The releases have all been blind-eye purchases for me, of course; but each release has been a solid find from the domestic and international soul/rock/funk/prog/jazz of the '60s and '70s, reflective of what the label offers from its individual releases. The subscription also included a release from the "World's Experience Orchestra," which Cosmic and Musra played with for a bit and the closing live track of the Cosmic/Musra is an awesome recording of that band. Now Again offers an opportunity to join the subscription and simultaneously "catch-up" on past releases - pricey by now, I'm sure, but recommended if you have a wide taste for music. 

Just noticed that they have also just offered up an individual release of The Lightmen's "Free As You Wanna Be" from a Houston-based spiritual jazz band led by Bubbha Thomas in the 70s. Anybody ever hear of it?  I'll undoubtedly pick it up, no matter what. Their "Function Underground" (what African-American musicians were doing with rock in the '60s while the Brits stole it away from them) and "Welcome to Zamrock!" (the rock that grew following revolution of Zambia in the '70s) are great anthologies as well. 

Thanks for buying, folks. Yeah, that live version of "The Prayer" and "Rush Hour" from the World's Experience Orchestra is awesome. Hopefully more can be done with John Jamyll Jones' tape archive, which is apparently quite deep. I interviewed him at length not too long ago in the hopes that a more expansive project around his unreleased works could happen. Will keep you all posted.

Still haven't checked out that Lightmen stuff but at some point it'll happen.