Best video game system?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back during the days of the original PSX there was a great and bizarre tank game "Assault Rigs" which featured a sample of the guitar riff in "Hang up Your Hang Ups". Then for a Street Fighter 2 soundtrack, there was a blatantly PMG-ish arrangement of her theme. if anybody wants that, email me.

You guys will probably laugh at me, but I'm thinking of buying a Playstation 1. They're only $49 bucks and the games are cheap. I haven't played video games since I had my Sega Genesis 10 years ago, so I don't know what I've been missing.

:P

I'd still recommend that you would invest slightly more on a Playstation 2, since you can play old PS1 games on it as well...

• 3 years later...

You guys will probably laugh at me, but I'm thinking of buying a Playstation 1. They're only $49 bucks and the games are cheap. I haven't played video games since I had my Sega Genesis 10 years ago, so I don't know what I've been missing.

:P

I'd still recommend that you would invest slightly more on a Playstation 2, since you can play old PS1 games on it as well...

Bump. :lol:

Any new advice? The kids have recently become hooked on playing Super Mario Sunshine on the ol' Gamecube, but before I invest in more games for them/me, I've been thinking with picking up a cheap PS2 instead (which can be had new for only $129 now). Not sure I want to spend as much on a PS3, X360, or even Wii - but there are a bunch of PS2 and Xbox games that I'm interested in.

How's the video output quality of the PS2 - at least compared to the Gamecube? I know it's not HD, but that's not so important to me even though we have a HD set. It looks like the PS2 is at least DVD quality, so is that 480p - and what's the coresponding vid quality of the Cube?

Some dumb questions, I'm sure, but I really don't want to drop $4-500 bucks on the newest systems - and besides the wife would nix that anywa. :lol:

RDK, given your situation, I would without a doubt go with a Wii. Its a bit more expensive, but if you are looking for the ultimate gaming experience for both you and your kids, Wii is the way to go. There are tons of games for kids and grown ups coming out at a fairly rapid pace. And let me tell you (and I'm sure that anyone who has actually played a Wii will agree with me) that the Wii is probably the FUNNEST video game system around. Its really refreshing to play video games in a different way other than the plain ol two handed controller. It really adds a new, much needed dimension to gaming that gives it another advantage on top of being a Nintendo product, with its niche market and all. Playing the Wii really gave me a thrill that I haven't experienced in gaming since probably the first time I plugged in my original 8 bit NES.

Of course, the PS2 is not a bad option either. Its still the only system I own, and I've had it since its orignal launch almost 7 years ago. Its affordable and there a HUGE library of excellent games to choose from, although I'd have to say that most of the greatest games on PS2 are definitely not kid friendly. As for the specs, I know mine does not have any video capabilites above the standard DVD player. I'm not sure if the newer, slimmer PS2s support progressive scan.

I'm a Playstation fanboy, but this Wii seriously has me thinking. And as for PS3, I'm still planning on making that my next system, but Sony seems to be making alot of early mistakes with this product, and is looking like I may eventually end up being forced to go with the (it pains me to say it.....) Xbox 360.

Any new advice? The kids have recently become hooked on playing Super Mario Sunshine on the ol' Gamecube, but before I invest in more games for them/me, I've been thinking with picking up a cheap PS2 instead (which can be had new for only $129 now). Not sure I want to spend as much on a PS3, X360, or even Wii - but there are a bunch of PS2 and Xbox games that I'm interested in.

How's the video output quality of the PS2 - at least compared to the Gamecube? I know it's not HD, but that's not so important to me even though we have a HD set. It looks like the PS2 is at least DVD quality, so is that 480p - and what's the coresponding vid quality of the Cube?

Some dumb questions, I'm sure, but I really don't want to drop $4-500 bucks on the newest systems - and besides the wife would nix that anywa. :lol:

Ray -

I did just what you're thinking about - bought the $129 PS2 at Christmas time for my kids. My 6 year old son loves it (he plays the Lego Star Wars games constantly), though my 9 year old daughter is somewhat ambivalent. I think that's a boy vs. girl thing in general though.

I think for that price, it's an excellent purchase, and there are a ton of games out there for the PS2, at fairly reasonable prices.

• 2 months later...

Quick question: does anyone know if the Component Video cable for the Xbox360 is the same as the one for the regular Xbox? Are they interchangable?

No, they are different. But the Xbox 360 comes with a component cable out of the box (you don't have to buy it seperately).

• 3 weeks later...

Best video game system?

SNES.

Still.

I've still got mine in my bedroom and working perfectly. Alot of the battery packs on the cartridges have lost their ability to save games, which makes some games like Final Fantasy II and Actraiser difficult to play, but its still fun as hell.

On the modern side of gaming, I'm really leaning towards getting a Wii as well. I think I'm gonna give the PS3 6-8 months to see how it does, and then I'll make a final decision.

Best video game system?

SNES.

Still.

I've still got mine in my bedroom and working perfectly. Alot of the battery packs on the cartridges have lost their ability to save games, which makes some games like Final Fantasy II and Actraiser difficult to play, but its still fun as hell.

Still fun as hell indeed. Great gameplay on so many of those games, and if 16 bit graphics don't make anybody pee their panties these days, oh well. I'll take great gameplay any day, and the legacy of the SNES in that regard is pretty damn formidable if you ask me (and my son, who's probably deeper into this shit than you and me and 98% of America. Seriously.)

NES didn't age well. SNES, by and large, has, at least in terms of # of quality games that still are fun to play.

Maybe I'm too old school, but that's how I feel. My son has bought every (I think) damn system that's come out the pike since then, and they all have, at best, a "few" games that are long-term keepers. But he still breaks out the SNES stuff and still has a blast. He's only 21, so it's not like he's ancient like I am. :g

I will say this - the Wii sports thing is a gas, especially the bowling.

I will say this - the Wii sports thing is a gas, especially the bowling.

One of the guys I work with has roots in Memphis and visits there semi-frequently. After he got back from a recent trip, he mentioned in passing that a few retirement/assisted-living communities there have installed Wii consoles in the common areas, and the bowling game in particular has been such a huge hit that they now have regularly-scheduled "bowling nights".