Best video game system?

I'm planning on buying a video game system for my cousin who will soon be 16. I don't want to get some crap system that will only leave him jealous of whatever it is all his friends have. So what's the best system out there? PS2? XBox? Nintendo? Genesis? I'm absolutely clueless.

BTW, I'd like to get him a system that plays DVDs as well. Price is no object here. His father just hooked me up with a nice consulting gig, so I have no inclination to be cheap about this.

Thanks a lot.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem you face is not the system, it's the games that become available and Popular with the Kids... My son has two machines.. the PS2 and the Nintendo. It seems the most recent games that were popular in his crowd were on one of these two machines. Before you jump in you might want to get some idea of the types of games he likes. RPG's, fighting games, car racing games etc. They differ from system to system.

Games for the X box don't seem to have been too sucessful.

Edited by P.D.

I'm ashamed to admit I love my PS2. I just completed the final missions of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Tons 'o fun! If only I made that kind of moula in real life! :D

Also plays DVDs and DTS cds, DVD-Audio as well I think (just the Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks-it is NOT a DVD-Audio player). Oh, and of course, plain 'ol CDs...

it depends on what kind of games your cousin likes really. You have three choices: PS 2, X box and Gamecube. I have a PS 2 which I bought for the DVD player to start my anime DVD collection but since I have a real DVD player now, I use it as a game system. A game I've been playing recently is the Pride Fighting Championships, it's based on a mixed martial arts event in Japan (superior to UFC.... they have every Pride on DVD up to 18, check out 10, 13, and 17) and it's a great game.... every fighter, including the legendary Royce Gracie has a different style and you really have to play with strategy as the game can go from stand up, to ground to submission really quick if you aren't careful, excellent game. PS 2 also has the benefit of top Square RPG's like Final Fantasy X, the Tekken series, GTA, WWE games...... and note... if any of you wonder what happened to Sega, they now develop games for all the platforms. Also do thorough research on games before you buy.... some of the best places for opinions include http://ps2.ign.com, www.gamerankings.com and www.gamefaqs.com There is always www.videogames.com but if you want expansive content they've turned into a pay site.

Edited by CJ Shearn

OOh wow, a thread about games. How nice. I myself am a gamer, the name on the console isn't as important as the games. If you've decided you absolutely NEED the dvd feature on the console then I would pick the Xbox, it is far more advanced than the ps2 and has giant 3rd party support, so the library of games present and future will always be good. It also has the best on-line approach of any of the current consoles. I have two 'next gen' systems plus many older (read: cooler) consoles.

Personally if I had to pick between the Gamecube, ps2, or the Xbox, my choice would be with the 'cube. The games on it so far are unmached in quality and fun.

Hey Moose I had the olskool gameboy too! I'm debating weather or not to pick up the new gameboy advance SP, damn it's slick looking. I love 2d games and shooters so it's really pulling at my wallet these days!

Wow...I have an old black-and-white Game Boy... :(

I have one of those too, but before that high-tech gadget came out I had to make due with an Atari 2600 (which I still have but haven't played in a while). BTW, there were some stellar games for the ol' Atari, like JUNGLE HUNT, KEYSTONE KAPERS, PETE ROSE BASEBALL, KUNG FU, etc. Does anyone else have/use to have one of these babies?

Wow...I have an old black-and-white Game Boy... :(

I have one of those too, but before that high-tech gadget came out I had to make due with an Atari 2600 (which I still have but haven't played in a while). BTW, there were some stellar games for the ol' Atari, like JUNGLE HUNT, KEYSTONE KAPERS, PETE ROSE BASEBALL, KUNG FU, etc. Does anyone else have/use to have one of these babies?

Hackers have coded 2600 emulators that you can download along with the ROM files (the info from the game cartridge chips) for all of the old games. In fact, they've done this for all the old systems and all of the old classic arcade games. Of course, that's just what I've heard... ;)

Hey Moose I had the olskool gameboy too! I'm debating weather or not to pick up the new gameboy advance SP, damn it's slick looking. I love 2d games and shooters so it's really pulling at my wallet these days!

I've got the old Gameboy and the newer Gameboy Advance, and am thinking about getting the SP. I haven't played the Advance as much because I hate not having backlit color games. It just seems kind of weird. But, with the SP out, all I need to do now is convince my wife that it's worth it, and then I'll have the backlighting.

The Advance games are pretty fun. The Mario Bros cartridge is probably the one I play the most, along with Tony Hawk 3.

As for video game consoles, I have a PS2. Everyone I know recommends it over the other two consoles these days, including the people I know that work in video games at Best Buy corporate. Their reasoning is simple - PS2 has the best games right now, and more games than the other two consoles combined, especially when you consider the fact that the old PS1 games can be played on it (and I still do that sometimes, too).

yes, PS 2 has the best bang for the buck gamewise. Xbox seems to be content with license stealing and comp games on a console... Gamecube, well they did a huge thing wrong by not including a DVD player which was originally in the cards. Online gaming is a cool idea which is what Xbox has... but I see some issues: connection speeds and skill level of players. Since I play fighting games, tho never at arcades and mostly at school against friends or home by myself, let me address this point. Hardcore Street Fighter (I'm of the SF generation even tho I play for fun) and Tekken players are elated of challenging the best via o/l play, but they are really a small minority, compared to the masseswho don't "learn" the mechanics as tightly as they do and they'll end up with the same situations as in arcades, domination of less skilled players. The best should play the best, and the "scrub" players shouldplay other scrubs so that the skill level stays even. Nice to know there are mature gamers+jazz lovers also here :) let the game discussion continue.. what are current games your playing? mine are Pride FC and Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Technology-wise the ps2 is a relic compared to the xbox or the gamecube. Hell even the Dreamcast has more video memory than the ps2! The only reason it's still competing is because people are stuck with the brand. Sure the ps2 has many games, but the replayability on those games is very low or nonexistant. Also, a dvd player isn't going to make a better console. That only impacts the pricetag, not the potential of the system or the quality of the software. I guess I'm more into games than gimmicks.

I don't know how you can criticize PS2. I just saw a demo for the Getaway (I won't let my son have the game) and the graphics are quite impressive. Same thing with splinter cell. Anyway, getting back, it depends what the person you're buying this for plays. I'd check out a local retailer and see what more they stock of in your son's friend interest and then buy. I don't think a dvd is that big a deal unless you don't have one. I like PS2 because I'm a soccer fan and like to play the FIFA games, although I'd love to play the European PS2 soccer games but they're not compatible with the US unfortunately.

the VRAM argument was used by Dreamcast fanboys/girls when the PS 2 was released that it would not be able to handle 2D games b/c the original PSX only had 2 MB's of VRAM so it produced horrible ports of Capcom fighters like X-men vs. Street Fighter (the tag team feature was nonexistent) The PS 2 has shown itself to handle 2D well as it produced arcade perfect ports of Capcom vs. SNK 2, Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and the stunning graphics of Guilty Gear X. The Xbox seems to me a technical showcase but then again nothing like first person shooters appeals to me really. The Xbox does have the Dead or Alive series though which is pretty cool.

Still doesn't change the fact that the ps2 doesn't have as much vram as the Dreamcast, pal. There are other tech flaws that can be pointed out too. Sony didn't care much about the design aspect because they knew they could release a second-rate console and still profit from it. And they did.

Funny you should mention Guilty Gear X, Marvel vs Capcom, SNK vs Capcom, all of which were playable in their arcade perfect glory on the Dreamcast before the ps2 was even released.

true, DC was the number 1 2D system when it was around, outside of Capcom fighters it never had games I wanted to play like Knockout Kings so I didn't get it.... but they did have the UFC game, of which it's developer Anchor improved the formula with Pride FC, great game which got me to explore the real Pride organization.

The Xbox whoops the PS2 in the graphics department, hands down. Just look at Morrowind. Amazing game if you like RPGs, but even if you don't you have to be in awe of what the Xbox can do.

I bought an Xbox when it first came out and since sold it for financial reasons, but I loved it when I had it. I was getting pretty pissed at the lack of quality games, but soon after I sold it they released some sweet ones including Morrowind, Panzer Dragoon, Phantasy Star Online (which I never got to play on my beloved DC) Gunmetal, Gun Valkerie (hard, but oh so cool), Shenmue II (I loved the original on DC) and Unreal. Not to mention the upcoming Soul Calibur II (Soul Calibur on the DC was and still is the best fighter ever).

One of these days I'm going to get another Xbox and start rockin'!

B3er, what do you think about the bad organ sounds used in some games?

The same thing I think about bad organ sounds in any music. I can spot a fake organ from a mile away. Since we've been together, my wife hears organ in songs all the time. She always says, "I'd never know what that was if it wasn't for you..." and I'll say, "Yeah, but it's fake."

"How do you know?" she says?

It's pretty obvious to me. Organ sounds have been notoriously hideous for a long time. It's only with the recent releases of clones, both hardware and software, that things are looking up. But they all still wither when compared to the real thing.

I have a Roland VK-7 that I can hardly stand to play anymore. The thing sounds like shit. But every now and then I get a person at a gig that says, "Man, that organ sounds great! It must be nice to not haul around a real Hammond!" and I say, "Uh... yeah..."

:)

When Jim and I first started gigging together, I thought the Roland sounded fine. Now, after several years' worth of listening to the real thing, I hate that Roland just as much as he does! It's like the difference between eating at the finest rib joint in Detroit or eating at McDonald's. Long live the Hammond!!