Herbie Mann

Milestones

I like his phrasing, especially on the studio version. On the one hand, he plays absolutely nothing unexpected or unpredictable. But on the other hand, he leaves spaces that most people would fill up with things that would be unnecessary.

Besides, Fathead FTW, always.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

What are some Herbie Mann "deep cuts" (as the kids say) that you enjoy? Bop, pop, funk, latin or Hebridean. 

His Verve album Flautista includes a long (8+ minutes) track called "Amazon River."  I curated a series called Buried Treasures, which included exotica tracks from otherwise non-exotica albums, and this appeared on one volume.  If you like lengthy hypnotic and impressionistic tracks, you may like this one.

And his album Today features a nice version of the Edu Lobo/Vinicius tune "Arrastao" which I included on my Bossa Nunca compilation.

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

The man had a huge and very varied discography that, for me, is either excellent or terrible, based on the players and concept, but regardless of era or commerciality. Some of his disco records are as good as his bop records.

What are some Herbie Mann "deep cuts" (as the kids say) that you enjoy? Bop, pop, funk, latin or Hebridean. 

His '50's albums were pretty consistent, mostly straight-ahead jazz, and very interesting.  For that period, try to pick up the 10 CD box "Milestones of a Legend," which has 19 different albums originally on a myriad of labels.

His Atlantic albums are all over the place, sometimes within the same LP.  "The Beat Goes On," for example, contains tracks recorded 4/6/64, 5/6/64, 5/8/64, 9/29/66, 12/16/66, and 3/16/67.  "Our Mann Flute" is even more varied: 8/3/60, 2/13/64, 5/7/64, 10/29/64, 3/10/66, and 5/26/66.  The tracks within these albums don't seem to have a stylistic consistency.  "Our Mann Flute," moreover, only has one track longer than 3 minutes.  And yet, each track has a lot of quality.  But listening to an LP side is like being inside the mind of someone with ADHD.

"Our Mann Flint" is a very wacky album.  Tracks include Philly Dog, Good Lovin', Frere Jacques, Fiddler On The Roof, Down By The Riverside, Monday Monday, and Skip To My Lou (!).

As for deep cuts, check out the entire "Impressions Of The Middle East" album, and these:

And, of course:

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

And earlier I was listening to 'Riggt Now' whilst cooking and wondering where this album gets filed in the magnificent filing system at @Teasing the Koreanmansions.

I have it in the Latin section, but the Brazilian section may be more appropriate.  I dunno, Brazilian tunes with Latin percussion.  Kind of a toss-up.

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

His '50's albums were pretty consistent, mostly straight-ahead jazz, and very interesting.  For that period, try to pick up the 10 CD box "Milestones of a Legend," which has 19 different albums originally on a myriad of labels.

His Atlantic albums are all over the place, sometimes within the same LP.  "The Beat Goes On," for example, contains tracks recorded 4/6/64, 5/6/64, 5/8/64, 9/29/66, 12/16/66, and 3/16/67.  "Our Mann Flute" is even more varied: 8/3/60, 2/13/64, 5/7/64, 10/29/64, 3/10/66, and 5/26/66.  The tracks within these albums don't seem to have a stylistic consistency.  "Our Mann Flute," moreover, only has one track longer than 3 minutes.  And yet, each track has a lot of quality.  But listening to an LP side is like being inside the mind of someone with ADHD.

"Our Mann Flint" is a very wacky album.  Tracks include Philly Dog, Good Lovin', Frere Jacques, Fiddler On The Roof, Down By The Riverside, Monday Monday, and Skip To My Lou (!).

As for deep cuts, check out the entire "Impressions Of The Middle East" album, and these:

And, of course:

Thanks everyone. Some great cuts.

Impressions of the Middle East is really good. The record that pushed me into a Herbie Mann pearl fishing expedition.

Herbie Mann's Atlantic albums really would benefit from reissues in session order. 

One of my favourites is Stone Flute.

MTUtMjg2MC5qcGVn.jpeg

On 5/20/2020 at 8:58 PM, DMP said:

I caught  Mann many times, in several configurations, and 2 of these occasions stand out as memorable as anything I’ve ever heard. The first, maybe late 1969, he bought in a small group to the staid Carnegie Music Hall in Pittsburgh - Roy Ayers had just left, so it was Sonny Sharrock, Miroslav and Bruno Carr.  Sharrock soloed on every number, the place shook, I don’t think there’s a record that captures what he sounded like live. Not sure that the audience was prepared for it (how could they be?) - unbelievable.

That band with Steve Marcus added was my second jazz concert ever!

Edited by mikeweil

4 hours ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Primary

That's an excellent record, but Mann is by far and away the least interesting player on it, imo 

As with early Charles Lloyd, he is often the weakest player in his own band. Unlike Lloyd, he paid them well and encouraged them in their own careers. 

I think he twitters about way more than is pleasant, but on ballads, he often takes his time in a very distinct, pleasant, and actually touching manner. 

YMMV, of course. 

48 minutes ago, JSngry said:

That's an excellent record, but Mann is by far and away the least interesting player on it, imo 

As with early Charles Lloyd, he is often the weakest player in his own band. Unlike Lloyd, he paid them well and encouraged them in their own careers. 

I think he twitters about way more than is pleasant, but on ballads, he often takes his time in a very distinct, pleasant, and actually touching manner. 

YMMV, of course. 

Imho Lloyd in his stronger moments is a more interesting instrumentalist than Mann.

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

YMMV, of course. 

I agree on the twittering about, but I think it works quite well on the records with a more substantial concept, whether that's Turkish classical or hard funk. 

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

I think he twitters about way more than is pleasant ....

That's what I thought when finally buying some CDs of his albums in recent years and listened again. Jane Getz in her memoirs tells that he played a thousand chorusses himself but limited his sidemen.

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I agree on the twittering about, but I think it works quite well on the records with a more substantial concept, whether that's Turkish classical or hard funk. 

The backgrounds are interesting, yes. And he engages with them, yes. But listening to him apart from the backgrounds reveals the incessant twittering still mostly persists.

So I try to not listen too closely to him and focus more on the overall music, with him as additional sonic decoration. Ambient solos, if you will.

• 4 months later...