2019: Blue Note's 80th Anniversary

Late

It's not 2019 quite yet, but I wonder what the Japanese (or U.S.) market has planned as far as celebrating Blue Note's 80th birthday. (Maybe a reissue of Blue Train?)

Hopes? Ideas? Recipes?

Edited by Late

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Late said:

Hopes? Ideas? Recipes?

I predict a massive Norah Jones reissue campaign.

1958-59 is the 60 year anniversary of Les Baxter's Jungle Jazz and African Jazz, featuring the great Plas Johnson.  I predict a twofer reissue, from the master tapes, using the superior mono recording of African Jazz.

I love Norah Jones because 'Come Away With Me' funded many a miraculous Blue Note reissue in the ealry 2000's.  Her music not as much, though it is certainly inoffensive enough.   Off the top of my head, would love to see a decently priced CD reissue of Larry Young's "Heaven on Earth" and the Jackie McLean/Grachan Moncur 'Hipnosis" set that is on the Moncur Select, and the Elvin Jones set with Lee Morgan plus his 'Merry Go Round' and Jackie McLean's "High Frequency".  Not sure there are a lot of meaningful "unissued" sessions left in the vaults, and I am willing to trust that the fascinating looking "rejected" sessions were rejected for a reason (usually an out-of-sync drummer).

3 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

1958-59 is the 60 year anniversary of Les Baxter's Jungle Jazz and African Jazz, featuring the great Plas Johnson.  I predict a twofer reissue, from the master tapes, using the superior mono recording of African Jazz.

I don't know the first thing about Baxter but I like what I've heard on checking out streaming services which appear to have both these but in stereo form  ( I think) 

39 minutes ago, Clunky said:

I don't know the first thing about Baxter but I like what I've heard on checking out streaming services which appear to have both these but in stereo form  ( I think) 

African Jazz (stereo) is also available as an mp3 download.  Not sure of the source of Jungle Jazz.  Lots of vinyl rips out there. 

55 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

that horse is out of the barn. new releases tarnish the achievement/brand.

Depends on what the new releases are. The vast majority of what they've released has tarnished the brand. Probably no reason to think that might change, especially with a guy like Was running things.

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Blue Note is a legacy/heritage label.  We don't need new music on Blue Note.

Heritage/shmeritage - who cares about the umpteenth release of the old music?

On May 7, 2018 at 1:11 AM, Late said:

It's not 2019 quite yet, but I wonder what the Japanese (or U.S.) market has planned as far as celebrating Blue Note's 80th birthday. (Maybe a reissue of Blue Train?)

Hopes? Ideas? Recipes?

Sneakers. Canvas Chuck Taylor style in Blue Note blue, and/or a higher end black leather (or vinyl) with micro grooves, perhaps including tongues w the Rivers Dimensions & Extensions graphic. A t-shirt featuring Hipp/Sims graphic on front and back. Coasters (the kind that absorb water) w designs from Afro-Cuban, Black Fire, Basra, Evolution, perhaps True Blue. 

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

I'd like to see them reissue new remasaterings of at least all the material released in 1939.

I’d agree but I’d broaden that to the first decade. Other than the Monk material there is a fair amount of material that has been reissued once sometimes in piece meal fashion. I’d love to see the earliest (late 40s) Jazz Messengers remastered. 

22 hours ago, paul secor said:

Heritage/shmeritage - who cares about the umpteenth release of the old music?

So a record label is obligated to either continue issuing new music or disappearing?  Blue Note has left its mark.  They are now a part of EMI.  They don't have to release anything new to remain relevant or maintain their reputation.  For better or worse, jazz has largely become a legacy/heritage genre.  Blue Note is a big part of that legacy.

1 hour ago, Clunky said:

I’d agree but I’d broaden that to the first decade. Other than the Monk material there is a fair amount of material that has been reissued once sometimes in piece meal fashion. I’d love to see the earliest (late 40s) Jazz Messengers remastered. 

No argument from me, I did say "at least." There seems to be little interest to revisit the first decade and initially beyond--probably little outside the Monk has sold well in the past. But I'd love to see the type of restoration and mastering applied to this material that technology now allows; I love this music.

9 hours ago, Patrick said:

Sneakers. Canvas Chuck Taylor style in Blue Note blue, and/or a higher end black leather (or vinyl) with micro grooves, perhaps including tongues w the Rivers Dimensions & Extensions graphic. A t-shirt featuring Hipp/Sims graphic on front and back. Coasters (the kind that absorb water) w designs from Afro-Cuban, Black Fire, Basra, Evolution, perhaps True Blue. 

I am thinking more along the lines of some Take 5! Concerts.

18 hours ago, jazzbo said:

There seems to be little interest to revisit the first decade and initially beyond--probably little outside the Monk has sold well in the past. But I'd love to see the type of restoration and mastering applied to this material that technology now allows; I love this music.

I love the first decade of Blue Note as well. The last time the music from this decade was reissued in Japan was 1998. I wonder if bringing back the original (and beautiful) cover art would help sales. (The U.S. of course didn't use the original covers for their reissues.)

The 1939-49 cover artwork is mostly pre-Reid Miles, but just as hip. I can't find a website that features this earlier artwork. Anyone?