Which jazz book are you reading right now?

13 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

It was serviceable. Not sure what other books on Hawk are out there, though iirc he features in Scott DeVeaux’s The Birth of Bebop.  Loren Schoenberg’s booklet for the Mosaic Hawkins is an excellent read and is actually what sparked my interest in getting around to reading Chilton’s bio. 

I have a copy of the British version hardback of that Chilton Hawkins book ( on Quartet I think) and really need to dig it out again for another read. One for the ever-increasing pending pile..

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/23/2023 at 3:49 PM, Dub Modal said:

Ok, that's a good review. Thanks!

Fiunny thing about that book. I was among. the last people to have contact with Hawkins before he died -- I put him on the plane that took him back to NYC after his appearance in Chicago for that  that WTTW broadcast the previous day with Roy Eldridge; and there was some contretemps at the gate about them letting him on the plane and taking him to his first class seat.  I rather angrily settled that, after which Hawkins gave me a sign of thanks.  But Chilton changed what I said about this episode when he interviewed me into genteel Britishisms. For instance "I'm normally diffident in the face of officialdom." I never would have said that and didn't.

• 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

How many pages do they dedicate to Paul Gonsalves' rabble-rousing 27-chorus solo (on you know which tune)? ;)

There is a full chapter on the Gonsalves solo - about 10 pages.

One of the strengths of the book looks to be in the wider context setting. There’s good coverage of Columbia Records’ evolution and Duke’s recent history up to that point. Plus plenty of Newport ‘56 photos and eyewitness accounts of course.

Edited by sidewinder

• 3 weeks later...

Ellington at Newport '56 is an excellent book.  :tup 

IIRC, there's a wonderful photo in it of EKE and Gonsalves dancing together.  They're offstage somewhere and goofing around just like kids.  I really dig the photo because it's not staged; it's just a moment captured.

The book does a terrific job of showing the very real brotherly affection that the two men had for one another -- even though Gonsalves could be a royal PITA for Ellington sometimes (because of PG's addiction).

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Ellington at Newport '56 is an excellent book.  :tup 

IIRC, there's a wonderful photo in it of EKE and Gonsalves dancing together.  They're offstage somewhere and goofing around just like kids.  I really dig the photo because it's not staged; it's just a moment captured.

The book does a terrific job of showing the very real brotherly affection that the two men had for one another -- even though Gonsalves could be a royal PITA for Ellington sometimes (because of PG's addiction).

One of my favourite local second hand book outlets had a whole row of Ellington books on display, this being one of them. On first visit I saw this one but the price, although very fair, didn’t get me to pounce. I did buy Ralph Gleason’s tribute volume though. A month or two later on my next visit it was hidden in the shelf priced at £5 so I pounced. Pretty well as-new too !

There's this:

Shipping NOW : : : 
https://www.gofundme.com/f/sam-rivers-sessionography

“A dizzying, stunning achievement of research and scholarship. ... A joyful, sometimes psychedelic experience.”
—Mike Chamberlain, allaboutjazz-dot-com

“A model of independent scholarship, ... highly immersive. ... It’s in a limited edition of 724 copies. Don’t snooze on it if you’re just going to kick yourself later.”  
—NPR music critic Kevin Whitehead, at pointofdeparture.org

“I have never encountered anything approaching the obsessive thoroughness demonstrated by Lopez. ... A testament to Rivers’ enduring music and his invaluable role as incubator/advocate/on the bandstand educator. ... Lopez’s infectious enthusiasm proves hard to resist.” 
—Peter Margasak, The WIRE @thewiremagazine

"Rick Lopez’ remarkable Sam Rivers Sessionography: A Work in Progress. It masterfully sums up Rivers’ lengthy and productive career. ... A formidable document. ... Clearly sets the standard for any future work in this format."
Robert Iannapollo, ARSC Journal

“A Rosetta Stone of insight, and a well-deserved and worthy tribute to an overlooked giant of the music.” 
—Taylor Ho Bynum

"I got my copy of Rick Lopez's magnificent "The Sam Rivers Sessionography: A Work in Progress" ... Lopez has been producing extraordinary sessionographies for 20+ years. ... I raved about his 'treasure troves of information, some of the finest scholarship available on the internet today.' ... Few people are more worthy of your support. ... The book is gorgeous." 
—Tom Hull

“An incredible piece of work. Really something else. Informative and entertaining. ... Anticipating hours of joy.” 
—Barry Altschul

“Absolutely mind-blowing! So great!” —Mats Gustafsson

“An essential resource, a trail map for a rare and beautiful landscape of sounds.” 
—Larry Blumenfeld

“A tremendous document. ... This book is powerful.” 
—Jason Moran

“Lopez’s Sam Rivers sessionography is state of the art.” 
—Lewis Porter

“Rick Lopez’s book is by no means a biography. It’s not a discography either, and it’s not a photo documentation. And yet somehow it is everything at the same time.” 
—Wolfram Knauer review, Jazzinstitut Darmstadt (Jan 2023)

+ Jazz Journalists Association 2022 Book Awards Honorable Mention

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/7/2023 at 12:03 AM, ghost of miles said:

Starting this one—looks promising. Anybody on the board cracked it yet? 

61KXowk-xFL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Yes. Valuable book, especially the insightful, close readings of individual films, and draws out themes and connect the dots between films and generations. 

Edited by Mark Stryker

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Silly movie imo, but worth watching just to see and hear that music!!!

Has the actual OST ever seen the light of day as a standalone audio? No? 

There was, of course, also the theater production which was a success in New York, but a flop with the unhip London audience. Actors who lodged in the same building as a student friend of mine during the short London run invited him to rehearsals, so he could meet Jackie.

On 10/4/2023 at 8:45 PM, BillF said:

There was, of course, also the theater production which was a success in New York, but a flop with the unhip London audience. Actors who lodged in the same building as a student friend of mine during the short London run invited him to rehearsals, so he could meet Jackie.

There was a very interesting article by Val Wilmer in a recent Jazzwise about this London production.