Randy Weston favorites

Milestones

38 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Booker Ervin (!!) ....

Yep!! what a bonus, especially on the 25 minute version of African Cookbook

Another great BE performance that has been on replay at my place is the 27min track "Blues For You" on the Lamemt For Booker Ervin Enja LP/CD

2 minutes ago, romualdo said:

Yep!! what a bonus, especially on the 25 minute version of African Cookbook

Another great BE performance that has been on replay at my place is the 27min track "Blues For You" on the Lamemt For Booker Ervin Enja LP/CD

That`s a good one too ....

12 hours ago, romualdo said:

What do people generally think of his so called "commercial" U/A release "Destry Rides again" - it was omitted from the Mosaic Select at Randy's request

Years ago, I found a pristine copy for a dollar.  I gave it a scrub on the ol' Nitty Gritty, played the LP once - and promptly sold it to Dusty Groove.  Once was enough for me.

• 6 months later...
On 9/5/2018 at 2:01 PM, HutchFan said:

If I were to pick one Randy Weston record for my desert island, it would likely be The Spirits of Our Ancestors.  

But I also think there's something special about his solo piano recordings. When Weston performs alone, his very personal approach to the piano is on full display. Blues to Africa (Freedom) and African Nite (Owl) are two of my favorites.

Weston's duo record with Vishnu Wood, Perspective (Denon), is another superb recording.

I have a copy of African Nite on hold at my local record store. It is either the original US issue, or a reissue, on Inner City. I'm curious how the sound on that compares to the Owl records French version.

4 hours ago, riverrat said:

I have a copy of African Nite on hold at my local record store. It is either the original US issue, or a reissue, on Inner City. I'm curious how the sound on that compares to the Owl records French version.

I hope you enjoy it.  :tup

In my experience, Inner City pressings usually aren't quite as good as their Euro-pressed counterparts.  But IMO the difference is nowhere near enough to be a deal-breaker -- especially when the music is as good as African Nite

Edited by HutchFan

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I hope you enjoy it.  :tup

In my experience, Inner City pressings usually aren't quite as good as their Euro-pressed counterparts.  But IMO the difference is nowhere near enough to be a deal-breaker -- especially when the music is as good as African Nite

Thanks I am going to grab it.