December 1963 (Oh, What a Night) (Jazz non-Four Seasons version)

ghost of miles

I'm currently working on a Night Lights show about John Coltrane in 1963 and came across mention of the Coltrane Quartet's appearance at NYC's Philharmonic Hall on Dec. 31, 1963 in the John Coltrane Reference book.  I'm pretty sure I've read about this concert before, but wow, crank up the time machine and all that, especially given who else was on the bill:

*John Coltrane Quartet w/Eric Dolphy

*Cecil Taylor Jazz Unit (w/Jimmy Lyons as, Albert Ayler ts, Henry Grimes bass, Sunny Murray drums)

*Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers (w/Wayne Shorter ts, Freddie Hubbard tpt, Curtis Fuller trombone, Cedar Walton piano, Reggie Workman bass, Wellington Blakey vocals...?!)

The concert was reviewed by Leroi Jones for DownBeat and Whitney Balliett for the New Yorker--I probably read said reviews in anthologies of theirs a long time ago, but somehow had overlooked just how dynamic this overall lineup must have been.  

Simosko & Tepperman show the following after the December 31, 1963 concert with Coltrane:

- Sextet of Orchestra USA session on January 10, 1964.

- TV broadcast of New York Philharmonic Young People's Concert on February 8.

- "Out to Lunch" session on February 25.

- late February:  appearance at the "Once Festival" in Ann Arbor, Michigan.  Plays there with a bass ensemble and with the Bob James Trio.  Apparently not recorded.

- Andrew Hill Sextet session ("Point of Departure") on March 21.

- Town Hall (NYC) concert on April 4.

- Gil Evans session on April 6.

- radio broadcast with Charles Mingus Jazz Workshop on April 12 at University Aula, Oslo, Norway.

Simosko & Tepperman don't appear to indicate exactly when Dolphy joined Mingus or when the group went to Europe.  Presumably that information is available elsewhere.

I found a reference to a concert at Concertgebouw, Amsterdam, The Netherlands on April 10, 1964.