LF Larry Young Heaven on Earth CD

felser

My copy set me back $50 + a couple bux postage about 2 years ago.  I've had an auto-eBay search set up for it (on CD) for 6+ years, since I first learned (in about 2012) that it'd come out on CD in 2010.  I think that 2010 Japanese issue is the only individual CD issue of this title (ever).  But it was impossible to find even back in 2012 (and I never did get one until like 2016).

From my auto-eBay search (which I never turned off even after I finally got it), it seems to come up 1-3 times a year, on eBay -- but more often than not with some crazy minimum (of $70-$80 or more).  I've only seen it go on eBay for less than $55 maybe 3 times in all these years: when I got it for $50, and the other times were in the range of $45-$55, iirc.

The Young, Hill (big box), and Sam Rivers Mosaics are the only Mosaics that I already owned (on CD), but was still determined to find all the individual titles on CD as well -- and Heaven on Earth was definitely the toughest one to find as a separate CD.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Yeah, I much prefer individual Blue Note CD's, have all of them from those three boxes except "Heaven on Earth" (also the "High Frequency" session from the McLean Mosaic, which has never come out on CD).  I owned all of those Mosaics 20-25 years ago, sold them all off (no regrets).  Same story on the Blakey Mosaic.  Bite the Bullet and pony up the $ for "Heaven on Earth" is probably the best advice at this point.  I've held onto the Elvin Jones, Stanley Turrentine, and Lou Donaldson Mosaics while I try to collect the individual CD's, have completed collecting the Hank Mobley individual CD's ("Curtain Call" was tricky), and will sell off that Mosaic box soon enough.

Edited by felser

When I was at Amoeba in LA 6 months ago, I ended up passing on both Heaven on Earth for 10 or 15 bucks and a chunk of the Young Mosaic for 25 or 30 bucks.  When you are at places like Amoeba or Princeton Record Exchange, tough choices must be made.  I rationalized it by telling myself that I could pick up the download, but I wish that I hadn't decided to be cheap.

32 minutes ago, MagicAlex61 said:

Is TOCJ-8720 the only digital release of this album besides the Mosaic?

Pretty sure that's right. I'm about 90% sure it's only been on CD (individually, apart from the Mosaic) just that one time, from Japan.

And seemingly for only about 15 minutes, judging from its scarcity.