Jump to content

The Music of the Legendary Hasaan


Late
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

this here looks like it might be part of the answer:

https://archives.libraries.rutgers.edu/repositories/6/resources/349

" This collection consists of nine audio tape reels. There are six 3 1/4-inch reels and three 7-inch reels. These include Alan Sukoenig's original recordings of live peformances by John Coltrane, Hasaan Ibn Ali, and Elmo Hope. Also included are recorded copies Sukoenig made of unissued Ibn Ali recordings from 1962 and a recorded interview of Thelonious Monk conducted at Pep's Lounge in Philadelphia by Sukoenig and Gerry Barrish in 1960. The Coltrane recordings comprise the saxophonist's famous 1963 performances at The Showboat in Philadelphia, containing the only known recording of Coltrane playing piano. The Ibn Ali recordings include 1964 performances at the University of Pennsylvania; 1965 recordings in New York City; and other unidentified recordings. The Elmo Hope recordings include 1964 performances at the West-Side YMCA Auditorium in New York City. The collection also contains recordings by saxophonist David Shier and Kenny Barron circa 1962. "

 

Alan Sukoenig is also mentioned earlier in this thread as one of the producers of the Ibn Ali box and he's apparently the mastermind behind the Ibn Ali wiki entry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:HomageToDonByas

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Niko said:

this here looks like it might be part of the answer:

https://archives.libraries.rutgers.edu/repositories/6/resources/349

" This collection consists of nine audio tape reels. There are six 3 1/4-inch reels and three 7-inch reels. These include Alan Sukoenig's original recordings of live peformances by John Coltrane, Hasaan Ibn Ali, and Elmo Hope. Also included are recorded copies Sukoenig made of unissued Ibn Ali recordings from 1962 and a recorded interview of Thelonious Monk conducted at Pep's Lounge in Philadelphia by Sukoenig and Gerry Barrish in 1960. The Coltrane recordings comprise the saxophonist's famous 1963 performances at The Showboat in Philadelphia, containing the only known recording of Coltrane playing piano. The Ibn Ali recordings include 1964 performances at the University of Pennsylvania; 1965 recordings in New York City; and other unidentified recordings. The Elmo Hope recordings include 1964 performances at the West-Side YMCA Auditorium in New York City. The collection also contains recordings by saxophonist David Shier and Kenny Barron circa 1962. "

 

Alan Sukoenig is also mentioned earlier in this thread as one of the producers of the Ibn Ali box and he's apparently the mastermind behind the Ibn Ali wiki entry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:HomageToDonByas

 

Thnx for sharing ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Niko said:

Thanks. I'd seen that one, but was somehow under the impression there'd be another, licensed release. My mistake.

On 4-5-2019 at 8:50 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

So by now, does everyone here have this CD of Marsella's trio's tribute to Hasaan?

If not, what are you waiting for?  A phenomenal album, in tribute to a phenomenal album -- what's not to love?

Just listened to the album on YouTube. Nice, but not quite my taste, and don't like the drums being so forward in the mix.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I deleted an erroneous post because I misread the description of the material at Rutgers. The Atlantic session is from 1965, and the description does not in any way suggest there is a copy at Rutgers. I thought it was the 1962 sessions mentioned at Rutgers but then I saw the dates. Sorry about that.

I am still curious about the Atlantic Fire and why some backups exist. Focusing on the Fruscella date: another thread suggested Ira Gitler had a copy, so I could see a scenario where that got to Jordi Pujol somehow. But here is the question this poses to me:

HOW did Gitler get a copy? And what other guys in the know (journalists, producers and other misfits) might have other secret copies of allegedly lost Atlantic sessions? Bob Porter posted elsewhere that he had info and that some information existed but of course he won't share.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, HomageToDonByas said:

Finally, the lost Atlantic quartet album is being issued. See this morning's announcement by Omnivore Records.

It contains a link to a trailer, where one can hear short snippets of two tracks, "Viceroy" followed by "Atlantic Ones."

Release date is specified as March 5, 2021.

 

Hello!! Good to have you back on the board! (And I think we have a friend in common, in Kansas City.)

I’m so incredibly excited about this news, and March 5th can’t get here quick enough. Literally counting the days (only 81, as of today).

Hey, since you can ID the 2 specific tune names in that trailer clip, what else can you tell us about this session?

Like about how long is it? - including the 3 alternates.

And/or is there anything else you can tell us about it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Hello!! Good to have you back on the board! (And I think we have a friend in common, in Kansas City.)

I’m so incredibly excited about this news, and March 5th can’t get here quick enough. Literally counting the days (only 81, as of today).

Hey, since you can ID the 2 specific tune names in that trailer clip, what else can you tell us about this session?

Like about how long is it? - including the 3 alternates.

And/or is there anything else you can tell us about it?

In total, including the 3 alternate takes, it's just a bit over an hour. Expect a somewhat different view of Hasaan from the one you got from the Max Roach Trio record. The restoration by Michael Graves is superb. The two takes of "True Train" are at surprisingly different tempi.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, HomageToDonByas said:

In total, including the 3 alternate takes, it's just a bit over an hour. Expect a somewhat different view of Hasaan from the one you got from the Max Roach Trio record. The restoration by Michael Graves is superb. The two takes of "True Train" are at surprisingly different tempi.  

I assume the acetate is essentially contemporaneous to the 1965 session.  But was the tape of it also from that era, or much later? — and how much later?  (And was the tape used, because the acetates were lost? — or because they were essentially unusable??)

And I presume, the tape was reel-to-reel?

And was the source of the reel then presumably Odean?

Many thanks for your insights on this, and anything else you’d care to share.

Another question: is Odean on every track / every take? Or are there any piano-trio tracks (not unlike, perhaps, Andrew Hill’s Blackfire).

Thanks again!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...