BFT 176 Discussion and Access

aparxa

Hello everyone,

after the reveal from CardinalJazzFan, here comes the 176th BFT!
After more than ten years on Organissimo, it was about time to present a BFT.
It has been a great pleasure to prepare the selection which encompasses old favorite tunes along with recent discoveries.
90 minutes of mostly jazz with a short interlude halfway through.

Thanks to Thom for hosting the BFT at the usual address: http://www.thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/
With the link on the archive on the left corner of the page.

I hope you will enjoy the music and feel free to share your impressions, commentaries, guesses, answers, etc, mainly etc.

Took a quick run through, and there are some truly tasty cuts in there!  Cuts 7,15, and 19 are not playing online for me for some reason.  I'll try again later, but if others hit this, it's not you.

3 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Trees and Grass and Things

Image result for trees and grass and things charles

Looks like those three tracks were encoded at a different time/with a different tool/something. They're 192 kbps, while everything else is 320 kbps. aparxa or Thom Keith: if one of you can grab tracks 7, 15, and 19 and convert them to either 160 kbps or 320kbps, they'll play as a stream in Chrome, too.

(The latest builds of Chrome, for reasons unclear to me, do not like the 192 kbps bitrate. A play() call to a file with an unsupported bitrate will return as if the file were absent from the server.)

I listened to the first 6 tracks.  Some good stuff, and I'm not able to identify much.

Track 1 sounds like a piano trio version of "St. Thomas."  It could be someone Like Hank Jones, though I feel it's not Hank.

On Track 2 the trumpeter sounds like Art Farmer, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

I can't say on 3 or 4.  It's nice-sounding mainstream jazz, but I can't even guess who it might be.

Track 5 is probably an alto-led date. Nice firm bass and loose, coloristic drumming.  I can't identity anyone.     

Track 6 sounds like MJQ.  The vibraphone player, at least, sounds like Milt. The piano player rarely sounds like  John Lewis.  But overall it does have that MJQ sound, or something akin to it.

14 hours ago, felser said:

Tried from home PC.  Same problems with cuts 7/15/19 in Chrome, but they play fine in MS Edge.

11 hours ago, lipi said:

Looks like those three tracks were encoded at a different time/with a different tool/something. They're 192 kbps, while everything else is 320 kbps. aparxa or Thom Keith: if one of you can grab tracks 7, 15, and 19 and convert them to either 160 kbps or 320kbps, they'll play as a stream in Chrome, too.

(The latest builds of Chrome, for reasons unclear to me, do not like the 192 kbps bitrate. A play() call to a file with an unsupported bitrate will return as if the file were absent from the server.)

Sorry for the inconvenience. I had checked the BFT on Firefox and IE but had no clue of the bitrate glitch on Chrome.  I have reencoded all three tracks at 128kbps and Thom has updated his website so it should be playing fine now!

15 hours ago, JSngry said:

Trees and Grass and Things

15 hours ago, felser said:

Took a quick run through, and there are some truly tasty cuts in there!  Cuts 7,15, and 19 are not playing online for me for some reason.  I'll try again later, but if others hit this, it's not you.

Image result for trees and grass and things charles

Yes, that's Track 14. Great vibe and interplay on the entire album. Tune also called Trees and Grass and Thangs when later recorded with the Pullen/Adams Quartet.

10 hours ago, Milestones said:

I listened to the first 6 tracks.  Some good stuff, and I'm not able to identify much.

Track 1 sounds like a piano trio version of "St. Thomas."  It could be someone Like Hank Jones, though I feel it's not Hank.

Yes, it is the theme of St. Thomas and it is indeed not Hank Jones.

On Track 2 the trumpeter sounds like Art Farmer, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

It's not Art!

I can't say on 3 or 4.  It's nice-sounding mainstream jazz, but I can't even guess who it might be.

Unlike the first two tracks, tracks 3&4 have not been recorded in North America!

Track 5 is probably an alto-led date. Nice firm bass and loose, coloristic drumming.  I can't identity anyone. 

The bassist is the leader.

Track 6 sounds like MJQ.  The vibraphone player, at least, sounds like Milt. The piano player rarely sounds like  John Lewis.  But overall it does have that MJQ sound, or something akin to it.

Not the MJQ nor the members of the group!

4 hours ago, BillF said:

Ahmad Jamal?

It is not Jamal!

Getting a jump on this one -- busy time of year, but the perfect excuse to get some grading done.

Track 01 - Welp, obviously it's St. Thomas, but likely in one of its other incarnations (I mean, we KNOW Theodore didn't actually *write* it).  No idea.  Maybe Kenny Drew?  I dig it, though.

Track 02 - Love the loping feel of the drums.  Nice comping on the head.  Something has me leaning towards Kamuca.  Actually reminds me of Don Sleet's record All Members quite a bit, but I haven't played that in ages.  Doesn't sound like Jimmy Heath to me, though.  Can't quite place the trumpeter, but love his clean, crips tone. Two-for-two on this test, though.

Track 03 - Something doesn't sound right about the drums in the mix.  Almost like it was recorded separately from the rest.  My grandmother had a Chico Hamilton record like this.  It sets the drums off too much from the rest of the recording, which I am otherwise enjoying a great deal.

Track 04 - Oddly angular.  Almost in an Ellington sort of a way, but that's not who it is.  Nice KC feel to the head.  Got some thoughts on the tenor, but I'm going to listen again.  Don't know the 'bone.  Nice, brassy trumpet.  A little more subdued than Buck Clayton, but I'm thinking someone along those lines.  On second listen, I'm going to go with my gut and say Allen Eager on tenor.

Track 05 - No idea, but the longer it went on, the more I liked it.  Nice.

Track 06 - Reminds me of the Embryo album For Eva, featuring Mal Waldron, but that's definitely not Mal.  I like this, though.  I'm leaning European, which means I don't know who this is.  Again, I'm liking it.  

Track 07 - This one is the first one that hasn't grabbed me.  Very busy, and that guitar is a bit intrusive.  It's interesting, and I'd probably be a lot more into it without the guitar.

Track 08 - This has a familiar feel, but my ears are lying to me -- I don't know what this is.

Track 09 - At first, I didn't think I'd like this, but once it got going, I was hooked.  All in.  No idea what this is.  His voice almost sounds like Olu Dara's.

Track 10 - Another I am not familiar with, but I like it.  I like it a lot.

Track 11 - A lot of these cuts sound almost like rock bands I probably know doing a "jazzy" cut.  They work, though.  I mean, not sure I'm going to take Kind of Blue off the turn-table to hear them, but they hold up well.

Track 12 - This sounds more familiar.  Alto has a J-Mac quality (not him, but I think I know this player).  Drums remind me of Greg Bandy's work on an obscure Pharoah Sanders record on India Navigation.  Or, more accurately, I'd guess that reminds me of this.  Can't offer a reasonable guess, but I like it.

Track 13 - I like the feel and the general musicianship, but I don't think I know these players.

Track 14 - Stop me if you've heard this before:  I like the feel of this, but don't know the players.  This alto sounds very familiar, but I don't have the name.  Not sure on the tenor.  Sounds a bit like a LOT of guys.  I hear some Willis Jackson influence, for sure -- but could it be the man himself?  I don't think it is, so it probably is.

Track 15 - This reminds me a bit of Jimmy Jones and a bit of some older Mal Waldron recordings I have.  I don't think it's either, but I like it.

Track 16 - Something very familiar about this.  Not sure if I own this, but I have definitely heard it... recently.  Comping behind the trumpet doesn't seem to be quite... syncing isn't the word... they just don't seem to be connecting.  Trumpet work is nice, though.  Ah!  Wait a minute.  That's Ralph Moore, I'm sure of it.  He's a guy I always want to like more than I do, but here, he's clicking.  This is beautiful.  Piano is familiar but, not a slam dunk.  Could be Geri Allen.

Track 17 - More modern player whom I cannot name, but this is actually quite pleasant, if a bit more orchestrated than I usually lean towards.  Very nice, though.

Track 18 - Tune seems very familiar, but again, I think my ears are lying to me.  Reminds me of a tune on a Rashied Ali record, and that CLEARLY is not what this is.  Organ doesn't really seem to fit with the feel.  I like the guitar, though.

Track 19 - This is really nice.  That tenor... I know that tenor.  Tune almost sounds like I Wish I Knew, but I don't think that's right.  Clear, strong tone, and tasteful embellishments by the piano -- just like it was meant to be.  Could this be one of the Getz/Barron sessions that was recorded prior to People Time?  Has that feel and is at the level of quality, but seems a bit less outwardly... showy isn't the word, but... that Getz thing, than I would expect if it is him.

I have to say, this was one of the more enjoyable BFTs this year!

11 hours ago, aparxa said:

Sorry for the inconvenience. I had checked the BFT on Firefox and IE but had no clue of the bitrate glitch on Chrome.  I have reencoded all three tracks at 128kbps and Thom has updated his website so it should be playing fine now!

Yes, that's Track 14. Great vibe and interplay on the entire album. Tune also called Trees and Grass and Thangs when later recorded with the Pullen/Adams Quartet.

So I wasn't crazy thinking there was an Adams/Pullen vibe.  I wanted to make that comment, but thought I must be nuts.

19 hours ago, Milestones said:

I'd say this is officially a tough Blindfold Test.  I've done some sampling of other tracks and I'm drawing blanks. 

A little third of not-only jazz, a third of French jazz and the remainder of  relatively obscure US jazz, I'll try to calibrate better in the future!

11 hours ago, tkeith said:

Getting a jump on this one -- busy time of year, but the perfect excuse to get some grading done.

Track 01 - Welp, obviously it's St. Thomas, but likely in one of its other incarnations (I mean, we KNOW Theodore didn't actually *write* it).  No idea.  Maybe Kenny Drew?  I dig it, though.

Not Kenny Drew. A prior incarnation of St. Thomas, about a year before Saxophone Colossus.

Track 02 - Love the loping feel of the drums.  Nice comping on the head.  Something has me leaning towards Kamuca.  Actually reminds me of Don Sleet's record All Members quite a bit, but I haven't played that in ages.  Doesn't sound like Jimmy Heath to me, though.  Can't quite place the trumpeter, but love his clean, crips tone. Two-for-two on this test, though.

It's like the Don Sleet's All members group, but of the West coast :lol:

Track 03 - Something doesn't sound right about the drums in the mix.  Almost like it was recorded separately from the rest.  My grandmother had a Chico Hamilton record like this.  It sets the drums off too much from the rest of the recording, which I am otherwise enjoying a great deal.

Yes, the drums mix is a bit distracting but becomes to me part of the charm of the record.

Track 04 - Oddly angular.  Almost in an Ellington sort of a way, but that's not who it is.  Nice KC feel to the head.  Got some thoughts on the tenor, but I'm going to listen again.  Don't know the 'bone.  Nice, brassy trumpet.  A little more subdued than Buck Clayton, but I'm thinking someone along those lines.  On second listen, I'm going to go with my gut and say Allen Eager on tenor.

That's a prowess, it is Allen Eager!

Track 05 - No idea, but the longer it went on, the more I liked it.  Nice.

Track 06 - Reminds me of the Embryo album For Eva, featuring Mal Waldron, but that's definitely not Mal.  I like this, though.  I'm leaning European, which means I don't know who this is.  Again, I'm liking it.  

French it is!

Track 07 - This one is the first one that hasn't grabbed me.  Very busy, and that guitar is a bit intrusive.  It's interesting, and I'd probably be a lot more into it without the guitar.

Yes, I enjoy the tune but the jazz/rock guitar is a bit ever-present.

Track 08 - This has a familiar feel, but my ears are lying to me -- I don't know what this is.

Track 09 - At first, I didn't think I'd like this, but once it got going, I was hooked.  All in.  No idea what this is.  His voice almost sounds like Olu Dara's.

Whenever I listen to this guitar style and this voice, I dance!

Track 10 - Another I am not familiar with, but I like it.  I like it a lot.

That one might be more familiar to our Helvetian King.

Track 11 - A lot of these cuts sound almost like rock bands I probably know doing a "jazzy" cut.  They work, though.  I mean, not sure I'm going to take Kind of Blue off the turn-table to hear them, but they hold up well.

Track 12 - This sounds more familiar.  Alto has a J-Mac quality (not him, but I think I know this player).  Drums remind me of Greg Bandy's work on an obscure Pharoah Sanders record on India Navigation.  Or, more accurately, I'd guess that reminds me of this.  Can't offer a reasonable guess, but I like it.

And reasonably so, the players have not made many records. I bet this one would be for our Brooklynite Clifford.

Track 13 - I like the feel and the general musicianship, but I don't think I know these players.

I bet you know the pianist!

Track 14 - Stop me if you've heard this before:  I like the feel of this, but don't know the players.  This alto sounds very familiar, but I don't have the name.  Not sure on the tenor.  Sounds a bit like a LOT of guys.  I hear some Willis Jackson influence, for sure -- but could it be the man himself?  I don't think it is, so it probably is.

Jim and John identified the track which as you mention later has an Adams/Pullen feeling (composition of Don).

Track 15 - This reminds me a bit of Jimmy Jones and a bit of some older Mal Waldron recordings I have.  I don't think it's either, but I like it.

Congratulations, it is Waldron!

Track 16 - Something very familiar about this.  Not sure if I own this, but I have definitely heard it... recently.  Comping behind the trumpet doesn't seem to be quite... syncing isn't the word... they just don't seem to be connecting.  Trumpet work is nice, though.  Ah!  Wait a minute.  That's Ralph Moore, I'm sure of it.  He's a guy I always want to like more than I do, but here, he's clicking.  This is beautiful.  Piano is familiar but, not a slam dunk.  Could be Geri Allen.

It is Ralph Moore with his usual suspects of the late 80's. Not Geri Allen.

Track 17 - More modern player whom I cannot name, but this is actually quite pleasant, if a bit more orchestrated than I usually lean towards.  Very nice, though.

A French group in the early 80s.

Track 18 - Tune seems very familiar, but again, I think my ears are lying to me.  Reminds me of a tune on a Rashied Ali record, and that CLEARLY is not what this is.  Organ doesn't really seem to fit with the feel.  I like the guitar, though.

I sure would not have bet on Rashied Ali named for this tune :D. The guitarist is the man! And the tune is  a classic of the  early seventh art.

Track 19 - This is really nice.  That tenor... I know that tenor.  Tune almost sounds like I Wish I Knew, but I don't think that's right.  Clear, strong tone, and tasteful embellishments by the piano -- just like it was meant to be.  Could this be one of the Getz/Barron sessions that was recorded prior to People Time?  Has that feel and is at the level of quality, but seems a bit less outwardly... showy isn't the word, but... that Getz thing, than I would expect if it is him.

It definitely has a Getz/Barron vibe, but this was recorded in 2018. And it sure does not have that Getz thing ^_^. Two players I love to listen to when I go to Paris. The tune is pretty well-known in France and its title in English is actually pretty close to the song you mention!

I have to say, this was one of the more enjoyable BFTs this year!

Thanks a lot for the very positive feedback!

So I wasn't crazy thinking there was an Adams/Pullen vibe.  I wanted to make that comment, but thought I must be nuts.

Finally! A BFT where I recognized a player and found the track on my first instinctive pull from the stacks.

Track 16 is cut 6 from this

https://www.allmusic.com/album/furthermore-mw0000309674

Ironically the trumpeter is Roy Hargrove. I would not have thought to pull this disc in my Hargrove memorial but now it is first in the stack.

Unfortunately nothing else is jumping out at me so this will be my only contribution. But hey Ma! I got one!!!

11 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Finally! A BFT where I recognized a player and found the track on my first instinctive pull from the stacks.

Track 16 is cut 6 from this

https://www.allmusic.com/album/furthermore-mw0000309674

Ironically the trumpeter is Roy Hargrove. I would not have thought to pull this disc in my Hargrove memorial but now it is first in the stack.

Unfortunately nothing else is jumping out at me so this will be my only contribution. But hey Ma! I got one!!!

Correct, Dan!

Hargrove is also the composer of this beautiful tune "Into Dawn"  which has not been recorded elsewhere to my knowledge.

11 hours ago, aparxa said:

Correct, Dan!

Hargrove is also the composer of this beautiful tune "Into Dawn"  which has not been recorded elsewhere to my knowledge.

I forgot how much I've enjoyed this record.  Girl Talk, 310 Blues, Into Dawn. Really nice playing all around.  Glad to revisit for sure.

On 03/11/2018 at 3:21 PM, aparxa said:

The tune is pretty well-known in France and its title in English is actually pretty close to the song you mention!

"Que reste-t-il de nos amours?" or "I wish I loved" (probably what Thom meant) which was indeed recorded by Getz/Barron in those sessions. Don't know the players here though.

Quick general listen. Curious about that prog track on n°7 and the piano player.

n°6 has a bit of the "My favorite things" rythm to it though obviously not that track

8 hours ago, OliverM said:

"Que reste-t-il de nos amours?" or "I wish I loved" (probably what Thom meant) which was indeed recorded by Getz/Barron in those sessions. Don't know the players here though.

Quick general listen. Curious about that prog track on n°7 and the piano player.

n°6 has a bit of the "My favorite things" rythm to it though obviously not that track

You give me way too much credit.  I meant "I Wish I Knew".  ;)

On 6/11/2018 at 2:19 PM, OliverM said:

That's the song! You might know the players, I plan to catch the duet next month in Paris area.

The pianist composed the tune. He is still touring regularly and will be in Paris area next February.

The whole album has this MFT nostalgic feel.

• 3 weeks later...

This is one of the Blindfold Tests which provides the most sheer listening enjoyment. I am striking out badly at identifying any of the artists, but I have liked the music very much.

I think that 9, 10 and 11 are all African artists. Track 11 reminds me of the Meters, but I don't think it is them.

Track 13 features a pianist who has lived a full life and has something to say. I am going to look forward to finding out who is playing on 13.

In fact, I can't wait for the Reveal. I will have to open my wallet afterwards. I will be learning a lot, I predict.

BFT176

Keeping on looking for Christmas prezzies, so I’ve been lax on this one. Thanks to Hot Ptah for reminding me. So here we go.

01 St Thomas. I’ve always liked this number. I don’t think I know this geezer’s style, though at times it reminds me a bit of Ray Bryant. But I really don’t think it’s Ray. Dunno, but nice.

02 Another pianner player. Don’t know this tune. Pooh gosh, what an entry from the tenor player! I think it’s one of the slightly older players who heard Joe Henderson and thought he was the best thing since sliced bread. Someone like Frank Foster. And damn, that trumpet player’s nice. He has a Blue Mitchell sound and hearing it again when he plays the tune out I’ll guess that it IS Blue. Nice one

03 Nice rhythm to all three of these and this one is super nice. Jesus I SHOULD know that drummer! Well, the pianner player, too. Well, I’m going to guess at… No I’m not. I’ll just guess at the guy on Braith’s ‘Two souls in one’ on drums. Ah, Donald Bailey.

04 Oh, this is a bit too much like a hard bop take on da blooze for me to know much about it. Gonna slip out for a cough & drag.

05 All this stuff has nice rhythms. This is pretty nice – lovely drummer.

06 Ditto on rhythms. I think you’re a good picker of drummers. Dunno who the vibes player is; nice though. Ditto to the pianist. Tune’s a bit familiar, but not quite.

07 Intro sounds like a guitarist from Mali. Don’t know what kind of instrument is playing the melody line but I can’t say I find the sound very attractive. Anyway, the guitarist is soloing now and he’s NOT from Mali. I think they have a bit more taste. In fact this is the first cut on this BFT I haven’t liked. On to…

08 Back to the original approach of the BFT. More nice stuff I like but don’t quite know about. Oh, I think I know who this is – Abdoulaye Diabate. He IS from Mali. I haven’t got this, though.

09 Something from around the Sahara, maybe the north of Mali. Can’t say I ever really dug the music of the various Berber peoples, which this sounds like. No, I think the guy is singing in one of the Mande languages, which puts it into Mali proper.

10 Oh I’ve got this. It’s a track from Assagai’s first album, the one with the upside down map of part of Zaire on the cover. Without checking, I think this is the track called ‘Akasa’. Nice. I’d have enjoyed ‘Beka’, which has Dudu wailing his arse off, more, but this is nice. And it’s probably less obvious.

11 Don’t like the guitar riff on this. It sounds like another South African thing; one of the Township bands that no one outside the townships ever knew about. Did it jump or something at a few seconds over two minutes? Or are the second two minutes repeats of the first two? No the guitarist is doing more in part 2. But I think it’s two ides of a 45 joined together.

12 Bloomin’ awful rhythm section. Off to make a cuppa tea.

13 Oh, this tune is a bit familiar. I’d like it to be Milt Buckner, but it won’t be. No it isn’t – he’s a bit looser rhythmically than Milt. The record seems too recent or modern for the guitarist to be playing like that. Well, there’s definitely something anachronistic about this.

14 Oh, I’ve got this one, too. A big favourite by Charles Williams, the title track from ‘Trees and grass and things’. Lovely band, with Bubba Brooks, Bill Curtis, later the drummer with the Fatback Band, Cornell Dupree, Jimmy Lewis, Don Pullen and Montego Joe.

15 Here’s ‘Idaho’ an oldie – well, from the forties, I guess. Perhaps even the thirties. A nice tunr by the composer of ‘Shake rattle & roll’, whose name escapes me at present.

16 Another nice track. Oh, I must be oriented to Blue Mitchell today, because I think this is him, too. Oh, and ANOTHER older guy who thought Joe Henderson was god. No, it must be my brain stuck somewhere off the Virgin Islands. Pianist sounds a bit like McCoy Tyner or Cedar Walton to me.

17 Seems to me this is a bunch of musicians playing not very nice music as if it WERE very nice. Funny stuff, really; I don’t get it. Hope it made money for them.

18 ‘Eternally’, a song from the fifties – my memory’s telling me it was from a Charlie Chaplin film. I wouldn’t be surprised if it weren’t from the soundtrack of it. Who the bleedin’ ‘ell is playing that cinema organ? Well, I like the guitarist’s sound.

19 ‘I wish you love’ by someone I nearly know. That pedal point accompaniment is putting me off as it doesn’t seem right for what the tenor player is doing. Don’t think I could listen to it more than once.

Well, on to Bobby Bland now.

That was mostly a real nice BFT. Thanks very much Aparxa. I’m curious to find out about a lot of it.

MG

5 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

This is one of the Blindfold Tests which provides the most sheer listening enjoyment. I am striking out badly at identifying any of the artists, but I have liked the music very much.

Thanks!

I think that 9, 10 and 11 are all African artists. Track 11 reminds me of the Meters, but I don't think it is them.

Almost, 8 to 10 are African artists. 11 is actually from the Antilles, not that far from Louisiana!

Track 13 features a pianist who has lived a full life and has something to say. I am going to look forward to finding out who is playing on 13.

That's him in a nutshell!

In fact, I can't wait for the Reveal. I will have to open my wallet afterwards. I will be learning a lot, I predict.

Thanks for participating and managing the BFTs.  Have no worries for your wallet, the majority of the tracks are easily accessible. Plus you might already own a few of the records already :D

2 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

BFT176

Keeping on looking for Christmas prezzies, so I’ve been lax on this one. Thanks to Hot Ptah for reminding me. So here we go.

01 St Thomas. I’ve always liked this number. I don’t think I know this geezer’s style, though at times it reminds me a bit of Ray Bryant. But I really don’t think it’s Ray. Dunno, but nice.

It's St Thomas, It's not Ray, you know the pianist!

02 Another pianner player. Don’t know this tune. Pooh gosh, what an entry from the tenor player! I think it’s one of the slightly older players who heard Joe Henderson and thought he was the best thing since sliced bread. Someone like Frank Foster. And damn, that trumpet player’s nice. He has a Blue Mitchell sound and hearing it again when he plays the tune out I’ll guess that it IS Blue. Nice one

I initially  bought the record for the piano player - who composed that tune, but the leader is the trumpet player! Not Blue though!

03 Nice rhythm to all three of these and this one is super nice. Jesus I SHOULD know that drummer! Well, the pianner player, too. Well, I’m going to guess at… No I’m not. I’ll just guess at the guy on Braith’s ‘Two souls in one’ on drums. Ah, Donald Bailey.

The drummer is pretty well known indeed. Not Bailey!

04 Oh, this is a bit too much like a hard bop take on da blooze for me to know much about it. Gonna slip out for a cough & drag.

It's Someone's Blues indeed!

3 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

05 All this stuff has nice rhythms. This is pretty nice – lovely drummer.

06 Ditto on rhythms. I think you’re a good picker of drummers. Dunno who the vibes player is; nice though. Ditto to the pianist. Tune’s a bit familiar, but not quite.

07 Intro sounds like a guitarist from Mali. Don’t know what kind of instrument is playing the melody line but I can’t say I find the sound very attractive. Anyway, the guitarist is soloing now and he’s NOT from Mali. I think they have a bit more taste. In fact this is the first cut on this BFT I haven’t liked. On to…

Some sort of amplified clarinet!

08 Back to the original approach of the BFT. More nice stuff I like but don’t quite know about. Oh, I think I know who this is – Abdoulaye Diabate. He IS from Mali. I haven’t got this, though.

Yes, it Diabaté !

09 Something from around the Sahara, maybe the north of Mali. Can’t say I ever really dug the music of the various Berber peoples, which this sounds like. No, I think the guy is singing in one of the Mande languages, which puts it into Mali proper.

It's further South and it's a Bantu language!

10 Oh I’ve got this. It’s a track from Assagai’s first album, the one with the upside down map of part of Zaire on the cover. Without checking, I think this is the track called ‘Akasa’. Nice. I’d have enjoyed ‘Beka’, which has Dudu wailing his arse off, more, but this is nice. And it’s probably less obvious.

Correct both on the record & on the track!! I love Beka too. I wanted Dudu on the BFT but it's true that he's not having one of those characteristic and intense solos on the track I proposed.

11 Don’t like the guitar riff on this. It sounds like another South African thing; one of the Township bands that no one outside the townships ever knew about. Did it jump or something at a few seconds over two minutes? Or are the second two minutes repeats of the first two? No the guitarist is doing more in part 2. But I think it’s two ides of a 45 joined together.

Nope, we have crossed the Atlantic Ocean!

12 Bloomin’ awful rhythm section. Off to make a cuppa tea.

A one-off opportunity to record for these mostly  amateur musicians. But those reeds!

13 Oh, this tune is a bit familiar. I’d like it to be Milt Buckner, but it won’t be. No it isn’t – he’s a bit looser rhythmically than Milt. The record seems too recent or modern for the guitarist to be playing like that. Well, there’s definitely something anachronistic about this.

Not Milt. The record is from the late 50s. No idea if that's recent!  :lol:

14 Oh, I’ve got this one, too. A big favourite by Charles Williams, the title track from ‘Trees and grass and things’. Lovely band, with Bubba Brooks, Bill Curtis, later the drummer with the Fatback Band, Cornell Dupree, Jimmy Lewis, Don Pullen and Montego Joe.

Yeahhhh!

15 Here’s ‘Idaho’ an oldie – well, from the forties, I guess. Perhaps even the thirties. A nice tunr by the composer of ‘Shake rattle & roll’, whose name escapes me at present.

Congrats, it's Idaho, from Jesse Stone!

16 Another nice track. Oh, I must be oriented to Blue Mitchell today, because I think this is him, too. Oh, and ANOTHER older guy who thought Joe Henderson was god. No, it must be my brain stuck somewhere off the Virgin Islands. Pianist sounds a bit like McCoy Tyner or Cedar Walton to me

The tune has been identified. It's the late Hargrove on the trumpet and Benny Green at the piano! No opinion about God, but I really like both Joe Henderson and the saxophonist leading this session (Ralph Moore)!

17 Seems to me this is a bunch of musicians playing not very nice music as if it WERE very nice. Funny stuff, really; I don’t get it. Hope it made money for them.

Not quite sure about the money, but I am glad I bought the record ;)

18 ‘Eternally’, a song from the fifties – my memory’s telling me it was from a Charlie Chaplin film. I wouldn’t be surprised if it weren’t from the soundtrack of it. Who the bleedin’ ‘ell is playing that cinema organ? Well, I like the guitarist’s sound.

I had no clue of the alternate name of the tune!! Yes it's Terry's theme from Limelight. Not the soundtrack indeed. Haha, I thought the organ player was in phase with the atmosphere of the movie. I love that guitarist's sound!

19 ‘I wish you love’ by someone I nearly know. That pedal point accompaniment is putting me off as it doesn’t seem right for what the tenor player is doing. Don’t think I could listen to it more than once.

That's the song! I thought their complementarity was working as a charm!

Well, on to Bobby Bland now.

That was mostly a real nice BFT. Thanks very much Aparxa. I’m curious to find out about a lot of it.

MG

Thanks for joining in!!

8 hours ago, aparxa said:

Yes, it Diabaté !

Just to be clear, it's Abdoulaye Diabate the pianist from Mali, NOT Abdoulaye Diabate the great Malian singer, arranger and bandleader.

MG

PS

" It's further South and it's a Bantu language! "

So if it's East Africa somewhere - Kenya or Tanzania I'd guess - it's RIGHT off my map.

MG

9 hours ago, aparxa said:

Almost, 8 to 10 are African artists. 11 is actually from the Antilles, not that far from Louisiana!

Ah! A clue, by cracky!

As you're French, I'd expect Antilles to mean Martinique, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Martin... or Guadeloupe & its dependencies. There's a sax player from Guadeloupe who was pretty popular in France, name of Al Lirvat. Am I on the wrong island?

MG