BFT 176 The Reveal

aparxa

Track 1
The Randy Weston Trio - Fire Down There (trad)
Get Happy, Riverside, 1956

Randy Weston (piano), Sam Gill (bass), Wilbert Hogan (drums)
Get_Happy_with_the_Randy_Weston_Trio.jpg

I wanted to start the BFT by a tribute to Randy Weston. Popularized a year later by Sonny Rollins as St. Thomas, the tune is a traditional song/calypso from the Caribbean  islands, recorded even prior to this recording by Louis « The Charmer » Farrakhan.

Track 2
Conte Candoli All Stars - Macedonia (Candoli, Guaraldi)
Little Band Big Jazz - Crown, 1960

Conte Candoli (trumpet),  Buddy Collette (trumpet saxophone), Vince Guaraldi (piano), Leroy Vinnegar (bass), Stan Levey (drums)

littlebandbigjazz-candoli-cover-1600-1-l

I discovered this beauty of a record  as I was intrigued to listen to Collette and Guaraldi altogether. But  it's the playing of Candoli that caught me off guard, serene, assured and moving. I only know Candoli from West Coast Jazz with Getz and Pepper's Gettin' Together, but I wil have to find more one day.

Track 3
Jazz-Hip Trio - Hyperespace (Roger Lucioni)
Jazz en Relief, Riviera, 1967

Jean Bernard Eisinger (piano), Roger Lucioni (bass), Daniel Humair (drums)
381172282210.jpg

Lovely record from the late 60s. Eisinger and Lucioni composed most of the original  tunes and it's pity they have not recorded/composed more (they pursued their career as MD in the South of France). And Humair is having a great time as always.  I have been lucky to find a copy for about nothing (the auctioneer went litterally mad) and it sure deserves a reissue.

Track 4
Jazz International - Buyer's Blues (Billy Byers)
Jazz International, Vogue, 1956

Allen Eager (tenor saxophone), Billy Byers (trombone), Jimmy Deuchar (trumpet), Martial Solal (piano), Benoit Quersin (bass), Kenny Clarke (drums)
67536170.jpg

Belgium, UK, France and US nationalities are present.  I think the original title is under Solal's name who makes a beautiful Ellingtonian  intro on this track, as pointed out by Thom who also identified Eager ! Reissued on CD as  Transatlantic Meetings  which also includes Roy Haynes Modern Group.

Track 5
Stéphane Kerecki Quartet - Tirez Sur Le Pianiste (Charlie Et Lena theme, Georges Delerue)
Nouvelle Vague, Outnote, 2014

Emile Parisien (soprano saxophone), Stéphane Kerecki (bass), Fabrice Moreau (drums)

Sans-titre-6.png

The second tribute of the BFT is to Charles Aznavour who was brilliant in this Truffaut movie. This relatively recent record offers a beautiful jazz rendition of tunes from  Nouvelle Vague composers such as Antoine Duhamel and Georges Delerue in a minimalist format with 2 songs with Jeanne Added. Highly recommended.

Track 6
Georges Arvanitas - Black and White (Anne-Marie Bernert)
The Hound of Music, PSI, 1978

Claude Guilhot (vibes), Georges Arvanitas (piano), Jacky Samson (bass), Charles Saudrais (drums)

1_c225bc03a8a0375f3773ee3bae402865.jpg

There is  a nostalgic and positive vibe in the interplay of that track that I always enjoyed a lot. I return more regulalry to Soul Jazz,  Arvanitas&Woods or Arvanitas&Webster, but there are few tracks on this record that really deserve great attention.

Track 7
Joachim Kühn & Rolf Kühn - Sounds Of Feelings (Joachim Kühn)
Bloody Rockers, BYG, 1969

Rolf Kühn (clarinet), Volker Kriegel (guitar), Joachim Kühn (piano), Günter Lenz (bass), Stu Martin (drums)

251050669285.jpg

I can't say that there has been a seal of approval on this one based on the discussions ! I really like the sound of the electro clarinet on this record and the ideas of both Kühn. Kriegel is a bit ever-present but that's the kind of crazy/energetic developments that match the title of the record quite well. Last time I managed to see Joachim Kühn was really fun with a trio with Rabih Abou Khalil and I plan to see Kühn in 2 months.

Track 8
Kora Jazz Trio - N'na (Abdoulaye Diabaté)
Part Two, Celluloid, 2005

Abdoulaye Diabaté (piano), Moussa Cissoko (perc), Djeli Moussa Diawara (kora, guitar),  Mamadou Koné (perc)
3-kora-jazz-trio.jpg

It's clearly not a trio on this tune, but the tracks with the kora of Diawara are also sublime. The tune is composed by the pianist Diabaté that MG has identified. I admit having been a bit underwhelmed by their first effort, but Part Two  is a great great combination of Malian, French, and jazz influences.  They just released Part Four  a few months ago on  Cristal Records.

Track 9
Thomas Mapfumo And The Blacks Unlimited ‎– Shumba (Thomas Mapfumo)
Gwindingwi Rine Shumba, Chimurenga Music, 1981

Thomas Mapfumo (voc,guitar), Jonah Sithole (guitar), Leonard 'Pickett' Chiyangwa (guitar), Charles Mayana (bass),  Sebastian Ferado (drums)
774831.jpg

There is nothing better than early Mapfumo. Except maybe very early Mapfumo when he was leading the Hallelujah Chicken Run Band.  I strongly advise you  to  also listen to  their compilation Take One. The  current record features his typical Chimurenga style where the guitar plays in the style of a mbira and it is boiling !

Track 10
Assagai - Akasa (Charles Ononogbo, Fred Coker)
Assagai, Vertigo, 1971

Bizo Mnggikana (tenor saxophone), Dudu Pukwana (alto saxophone), Mongezi Feza (cornet), Fred Coker (guitar), Charles Ononogbo (bass), Louis Moholo (drums)
3061595947.png

MG identified the  record and the tune  !  It's the mix of South African music, jazz and rock that I really enjoy. Dudu Pukwana is prominently featured and I just love every musical project he has been involved with.

Track 11
Jackie Mittoo - Juice Box (Jackie Mittoo)
Keep On Dancing, Coxsone, 1969

Jackie Mittoo (organ), prob. members of The Sound Dimension
jackie-mittoo-the-keyboard-king-at-studi

MG has identified  Mittoo but I haven't been able to identify the rest of the group, sorry  ! Probably the members of the Sound Dimension. Originally on Keep on Dancing,  the track can be found on the  recent compilation  featured above that is extremely well presented and fun to listen to.

Track 12
Ohio Penitentiary 511 Jazz Ensemble - Mantra Dance (Logan Rollins)
Hard Luck Soul, Aragorn, 1971

Reynard Birtha (trumpet),  Jesse Barrett (tenor saxophone), Sonny Ward (tenor saxophone),  Logan Rollins (alto saxophone), George Williams (guitar), Richard Strokes (guitar), John Grady (organ), Richard Wise (piano),  Charles Peterson (bass), Dave Bennett (drums), Ricky Lewis (perc)
3023943791.png

Raw  ! And ROllins  , the nephew of Sonny. It's a record made by serving prisoners and  the energy from Birtha and the reeds (Logan!)  is highly communicable!

Track 13
The Art Hodes Quintet - Dardanella
Mostly Blues (Some Legendary Art), Audiophile, 1957

Art Hodes (piano), Marty Grosz (guitar), Truck Parham (bass), Freddie Kohlman (drums) (Eddie Burleton (clarinet))
art-hodes-quintet-some-legendary-art.jpg

«  A pianist who has lived a full life and has something to say  » as pointed out by Hot Ptah. That's Art Hodes and his quartet/quintet playing  drag, blues and standards with diligence, joy  and art. Great interactions all along with Marty Grosz.

Track 14
Charles Williams - Trees And Grass And Things (Don Pullen)
Trees And Grass And Things, Mainstream, 1971

Charles Williams (alto saxophone), David Brooks (tenor saxophone), Don Pullen (piano, organ), Jimmy Lewis (bass), William Curtis (drums), Montego Joe (perc)
Trees_and_Grass_and_Things.jpg

Identified by Jim  ! I bought this record  opportunistically when I saw the name of Pullen. I love every bit of the music here.  It captures in a studio recording the vibrant energy that the Pullen/Adams Quartet have had a decade later in so many live sessions but (quite) failed to obtain in studio. I have no other record featuring Charles Williams so far, any recommendation would be appreciated!

Track 15
The Mal Waldron Trio - Idaho (Jesse Stone)
Moonglow & Stardust, Music Minus One, 1960

Mal Waldron (piano), Wendell Marshall (bass), Charles Persip (drums)
IMG_8398.JPG

Did you sing along  ? Thom identified Waldron, MG identified the tune. Of the 3 or 4 Music Minus One records lead by Waldron that I have heard, this is by very far my favorite. Except for Stardust than I find a bit too slow, the rest of the tunes are perfectly arranged and executed by Waldron with a very positive atmosphere all along. Don't hesitate to give this record a try if you find a copy.

Track 16
Ralph Moore - Into Dawn (Roy Hargrove)
Furthermore, Landmark, 1990

Ralph Moore (tenor saxophone),  Roy Hargrove (trumpet), Benny Green (piano), Peter Washington (bass), Kenny Washington (drums)
furthermore-ralph-moore-918979570_L.jpg

Dan has identified the track&record  ! Since I have heard Moore play on live sessions with the Horace Silver Quintet, I have been very enthusiastic with pretty much everything he has done as a leader and sideman.  I  am glad that he is again recording (a new album to be released soon on WJ3 records) and touring (I just realize he has played multiple times in France in the past 2 years, hope I can catch him soon).  The story of Hargrove is truly a sad one. Such an elegance in his compositions and a dedication and talent when he played. Awfully sad.

Track 17
Jean-Jacques Ruhlmann - Ironie Du Sort (Jean-Jacques Ruhlmann)
Impression - l'énigme Infinie, JAM, 1981

Jean-Jacques Ruhlmann (soprano saxophone),  Philippe Maté (tenor saxophone),  François Couturier (piano),  François Méchali (cello), Merzak Mouthana (drums)
fr.jpg

A relatively obscure French recording from the early 80s. I only know François Couturier that I have seen playing with Anouar Brahem a couple of times. The compositions might  be a bit too written but the arrangements are truly beautiful.

Track 18
Johnny Smith - Limelight (Terry's Theme, Charlie Chaplin)
(The Complete Roost Johnny Smith Small Group Sessions) ROOST EP311 , Roost, 1952

Johnny Smith (guitar), Joe Mooney (organ), Eddie Safranski (bass),  Don Lamond (drums)
773738.jpg

Beautiful Smith here. The first CD of his  Mosaic set is my regular and favorite post-midnight listen. The tune is from the soundtrack of Limelight composed by Chaplin. The organ  seems a bit theatrical  but for me it matches the atmosphere of Chaplin movies like a charm.

Track 19
Sophie Alour and Alain Jean-Marie - Que reste-t-il de nos amours ? (I Wish You Love, Charles Trenet)
Live at La Rochelle, 2018

Sophie Alour (tenor saxophone), Alain Jean-Marie (piano)
a545c13_Z47QuEVegiLmSP11cCVzJ8I7.JPG

This is not officially released  but has been recorded  around  the release of Alour's Time for Love containing two duets between Alain Jean-Marie and Sophie Alour.

ob_ed7323_alour.jpg

Alour has made consistently great records in the past 10 years (Opus 3, Shaker) and Alain Jean-Marie would deserve much more recognition. His early recordings, the ones with Wilen and Romano and  the beguine series contain all  magnificent compositions and play.
Unless the current strikes disturb my plans, I am glad I should be able to see them both in duet format tonight near Paris  !

4 hours ago, aparxa said:

Track 14

Charles Williams (alto saxophone), David Brooks (tenor saxophone), Don Pullen (piano, organ), Jimmy Lewis (bass), William Curtis (drums), Montego Joe (perc)

Identified by Jim  ! I bought this record  opportunistically when I saw the name of Pullen. I love every bit of the music here.  It captures in a studio recording the vibrant energy that the Pullen/Adams Quartet have had a decade later in so many live sessions but (quite) failed to obtain in studio. I have no other record featuring Charles Williams so far, any recommendation would be appreciated!

Get all the Charles Williams', without hesitation. If you like 'Trees & grass & things' you'll like the other two.

5 hours ago, aparxa said:

Track 8
Kora Jazz Trio - N'na (Abdoulaye Diabaté)
Part Two, Celluloid, 2005

Abdoulaye Diabaté (piano), Moussa Cissoko (perc), Djeli Moussa Diawara (kora, guitar),  Mamadou Koné (perc)
3-kora-jazz-trio.jpg

It's clearly not a trio on this tune, but the tracks with the kora of Diawara are also sublime. The tune is composed by the pianist Diabaté that MG has identified. I admit having been a bit underwhelmed by their first effort, but Part Two  is a great great combination of Malian, French, and jazz influences.  They just released Part Four  a few months ago on  Cristal Records.

Oh, I've got the Kora Jazz trio #2 but didn't recognise it.

I didn't realise there were two further albums. Have to pick them up.

Actually, I got 'em for Djali Moussa Diawara, not Diabate,and his sitting out on this one put me off my guessing the track. I naturally assumed it was something of Diabate's own.

Lots of surprises in this. I have a few Weston albums, but he's not one of my favourites. I think perhaps I ought to get that Riverside album, though.

MG

I guess I am supposed to have recognized the Charles Williams thing but I have to say I prefer the other Mainstream releases with Bubba Brooks.  And of course there would be a third album I own but didn't recognize, that being the Little Man LP. Haven't heard that in years.

As for Ralph Moore, what is this new release?  I looked up WJ3 website and found the Willie Jones III (gee can I guess he is in charge of the label?) release My Point Is with Moore but I am guessing that's been out a year or more. Is there something coming on the label with Ralph as leader??

12 hours ago, aparxa said:

Track 14

MI0002014496.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Thanks for the recommendations, guys!

On 1/12/2018 at 1:18 PM, Dan Gould said:

As for Ralph Moore, what is this new release?  I looked up WJ3 website and found the Willie Jones III (gee can I guess he is in charge of the label?) release My Point Is with Moore but I am guessing that's been out a year or more. Is there something coming on the label with Ralph as leader??

I don't know when it should be on Cdbaby or WJ3 website, but here is a teaser from a month ago:

On 1/12/2018 at 5:12 AM, aparxa said:

Unless the current strikes disturb my plans, I am glad I should be able to see them both in duet format tonight near Paris  !

Mighty fine concert by the two after having spent a day in Paris having an orgy of LP on the very quiet Left Bank while the Right Bank was burning.

8 minutes ago, aparxa said:

Thanks for the recommendations, guys!

I don't know when it should be on Cdbaby or WJ3 website, but here is a teaser from a month ago:

Awesome!  I wonder how soon it will show. I bought the Willie Jones release on Amazon but they don't show anything for pre-order yet. And I saw the image of the back of the CD and two things stood out: Eric Reed on piano, and for those who think that the CD era led to filler being included due to the capacity available, this looks like a nice traditional 42 minute record.

This is a fascinating BFT. I love learning about the African, French and Ohio Penitentiary tracks. I saw Candoli live and loved his playing, but did not recognize him. I need that album!  I really like the Art Hodes and want to get that album. I have never heard of that Billy Byers album and I like the track here a lot—another one to get.

The only album I own on this BFT is the Ralph Moore and I did not recognize it. Oh well. Thanks for a most enjoyable and intriguing BFT.

Edited by Hot Ptah